Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 156504 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1965 on: 06.11. 2021 20:18 »
As you may have read, bought the motorcycles a lathe for them to play with. Right now, 60F in Chicago in November calls for a ride. Bye.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1966 on: 07.11. 2021 22:44 »
I donned my winter riding gear and took Emily for an autumn bimble today. I stopped at a cafe and had a very good cheese Toastie and a cup of cha for my lunchion. Lovely job!

There was a group of chaps in the carpark with a mixture of classic British bikes. I passed the time of day with them.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1967 on: 08.11. 2021 05:16 »
That's a nice time.

Richard L.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1968 on: 08.11. 2021 12:08 »
Still got the residue of last weeks salt drefting on the roads here so everything stayed tucked away.

Got bored last night so swapped some bikes round and stuck Blue the T3 up on the table and dropped the oil and then the sump. Found it had been 10k miles since I last changed the filter so about due. That's a replacement speedo btw - the bike is a high miler.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1969 on: 08.11. 2021 19:37 »
G'day Fellas.
Now that the rHonda is almost finished, not fitting the fairing till 1st service.
Time to do the carb swap on the HD, new Keihin CV (95 model). Removed the old original Keihin butterfly carb, manifold and rubber compliance fittings. Fitted the new manifold that does away with the rubber compliance fittings but has a flange mount for the carb. Then shrunk onto the carb (spigot mount) an adapter flange (so I can swap back to the butterfly if I need to). All mounted nicely till I found the push/pull throttle cables needed modifying. The push cable needed 1/2" off the outer and the pull needed 1,1/2" off the outer. The push was done without trouble but in doing the pull I just nicked the inner, BUGGA. Lucky the "nick" is outside the outer cable so will do till I get a replacement.
Next hurdle is the air cleaner. Nothing I have fits so it's onto the interweb to see what I can find.
I did start her up and sounded good but CV's need an air filter to work properly.
Once this job is out of the road it;'s time to pull the plunger down for full motor refurb.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #1970 on: 17.11. 2021 15:58 »
Short 20 mile run on the BSA to Dartmoor for a picnic lunch with my wife today, enjoyable but not without incident.

A few miles from home we pulled up at a red traffic light and a young girl in a Mini Cooper with a new driver 'P' sticker on her car, sped past us in the adjacent lane and drove straight through the red light  *eek*. My wife screamed and covered her eyes. The Mini managed to stop just inches away from hitting a double decker bus, right in the side, going through the lights the other way.

Then trundling along at 15 mile an hour on a very narrow single lane road on Dartmoor a lady was just returning from walking her dog on the moor and was opening her car's boot to let the dog jump in when the dog ran for us barking like mad, it jumped at the sidecar and crashed right into the still moving wheel, it bounced off and rolled over yelping. I think the wheel went over its paw or leg. By the time I turned the outfit around to go back and check on it the lady had lifted the dog into her car. She didn't blame me and apologised for the dog's behaviour. I urged her to jump in her car and rush it to a vet.  As she rushed off she turned and complimented us on our BSA & sidecar :o.

Naturally we feel concerned and we hope the dog is ok (as we know for some dog owners it would be like having your child run over and injured).

Having a quiet evening in now!

Rog.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1971 on: 17.11. 2021 16:23 »
Short 20 mile run on the BSA to Dartmoor for a picnic lunch with my wife today, enjoyable but not without incident.

A few miles from home we pulled up at a red traffic light and a young girl in a Mini Cooper with a new driver 'P' sticker on her car, sped past us in the adjacent lane and drove straight through the red light  *eek*. My wife screamed and covered her eyes. The Mini managed to stop just inches away from hitting a double decker bus, right in the side, going through the lights the other way.

Then trundling along at 15 mile an hour on a very narrow single lane road on Dartmoor a lady was just returning from walking her dog on the moor and was opening her car's boot to let the dog jump in when the dog ran for us barking like mad, it jumped at the sidecar and crashed right into the still moving wheel, it bounced off and rolled over yelping. I think the wheel went over its paw or leg. By the time I turned the outfit around to go back and check on it the lady had lifted the dog into her car. She didn't blame me and apologised for the dog's behaviour. I urged her to jump in her car and rush it to a vet.  As she rushed off she turned and complimented us on our BSA & sidecar :o.

Naturally we feel concerned and we hope the dog is ok (as we know for some dog owners it would be like having your child run over and injured).

Having a quiet evening in now!

Rog.
Flippin eck! Both incidents might have been a lot worse. 😕
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1972 on: 17.11. 2021 17:11 »
Decided to make a start on the A7 front forks, for a while now I believed the fork springs were too hard as they are much harder than the A65 when essentially they are basicaly the same with cosmetic differences. On strip down my suspicions were confirmed some PO had fitted sidecar springs so thanks to Roger SB who gave me the correct details some time ago I have odered a set of solo springs.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #1973 on: 17.11. 2021 21:25 »
Today I turned up an inlet adapt for my new monobloc. The thread on the pancake filter I have I took of a concentric which had a slightly larger thread than the monobloc🙁. As the air filter is is such good nic I machined out the thread on the filter and made it a press fit onto my new adapter. Here’s a few pics for your enjoyment

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1974 on: 17.11. 2021 22:58 »
Today I turned up an inlet adapt for my new monobloc. The thread on the pancake filter I have I took of a concentric which had a slightly larger thread than the monobloc🙁. As the air filter is is such good nic I machined out the thread on the filter and made it a press fit onto my new adapter. Here’s a few pics for your enjoyment
Woot!  Very nice.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1975 on: 18.11. 2021 08:55 »
Pumped up tyres and dreamt of summer - is that wrong??
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1976 on: 18.11. 2021 11:29 »
G'day Fellas.
Finally got the CV carb on the HD with a support. Just waiting for air cleaner to arrive.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #1977 on: 18.11. 2021 17:49 »
A great ride out on the A7 with 10 of the Thursday crew today. Started as always at Stratford St Andrew then across via Framlingham and Earl Soham to Stoneham Barns for coffee. Next up to Eye and Hoxne, along the Waveney valley to Harleston, Flixton and then Earsham and the grumpys cafe for a nice big ‘late’ breakfast yum. Finally, via the back roads to Halesworth and the Angel Inn for tea and cake, then home. 125 miles on a crisp bright dry November day, with the lovely autumn colours all around. Its great to be out
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1978 on: 18.11. 2021 18:39 »
Used to live in Rattlesden many years ago, worked in Stowmarket.  Really did love Suffolk, although I think some of the folk thought we were foreigners/aliens with our Staffordshire accents.  On one occasion, a friend who is black visited us.  We went into Stowmarket and just about every eye turned.  Thinking about it, apart from her, I don't remember seeing anyone 'of colour' being around - wonder if it's changed now.  I also used to brew my own beer and found a lovely old lady with a tiny shop selling home brew stuff - I spent a small fortune in there.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #1979 on: 18.11. 2021 23:09 »
Used to live in Rattlesden many years ago, worked in Stowmarket. 

One of my RM friends came from Stowmarket, Terry Aspinall. You may have heard of him as he's an author now and lots about him on the internet, he's had a very active and interesting life, Teddy boy, Royal Marine, musician in rock bands, hang gliding, pioneer of microlight flying, now lives in Australia.

When he left the RM I know he worked for Richard Garrett Engineering factory in Leiston for a while.

Rog.

1960 Golden Flash