Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 156511 times)

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1950 on: 27.10. 2021 08:56 »
That donk is a beast Muskrat.!! a bit bright on the eyes for my liking.
RD - age is a downer eh? I look forward to following your progress. I will also be fitting an electric leg soon.
I took the GF out for a spin today around our local country lanes after fitting a new SRM oil pump and PRV some weeks ago. I have been hesitant (scared) to run it away from home before I get some confidence in it - don't fancy a long push home. So first set up the emergency trailer and give the misses some instructions. It started first kick - but geez it has some compression. I used all my weight. With Penrite 15W-40 oil it started at 60psi cold (and oil return almost boring a hole in the oil tank) and levelled out at 20psi at 45 mph when hot and idled at 7psi when I got home- if you can believe the cheap gauge. (With the old pump and PRV the pressure was near zero at hot idle). Recently I tried 20W-60 and got 45 psig at 45mph hot with the old pump, same as before my rebuild. It was warm - about 28 Deg here today. So will change back to the heavier oil fairly soon when I am happy the camshaft has got enough zinc. The best I got the crank end-float to was 1.8 thou, just could not get the right combination of shims, so perhaps a closer tolerance may have given higher oil pressure?.
The new carb slide, jetting etc is working like a new bike - no spitting, backfiring, misfiring, lovely on the overrun, and no smoke. Exhausts a nice straw colour. Sounds nice, no rattles although my hearing is not too good - maybe a good thing? And the mirrors were stable enough to actually see behind! (I had it dynamic balanced to 60 BF). This time I dropped the tyre pressures to 25 psi on Avon AM7 rear and 24 front on Avon Speedmaster AM6 and the handling and ride was great.
Interesting that I changed the idle jet from #25 to #30 which is standard and the air screw needed a tweak outwards from 1.5 turns to about 2.
It seems to be now working as I like it.  Only fine tuning needed from here - I hope!
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1951 on: 27.10. 2021 19:39 »
G'day RD.
I painted the motor while on the jig. The carpet in the shed has the same black mist as well!
G'day Col.
Yes I should have used matte instead of gloss. The rest of the bike has never been re-furb'd and most of the motor is hidden behind the fairing. The motor weighs 100Kg s impossible to do without the jig.
Sounds like good progress with yours. Oil pressure sounds great. When your ready for a longer ride the Grey Gum Cafe on the Putty would be a good ride for both of us.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1952 on: 27.10. 2021 22:42 »
Yes I noticed the overspray on the cradle. The Grey Gum cafe sounds good Muskrat - My confidence is climbing, but so long as I don't have to keep up with the yellow beast. Judy and I stopped at the Grey Gum before first Covid lockdown. It's very popular with motorcyclists. There must have been about 100 classic bikes there. I got exhausted running from bike to bike as their owners started up. The wife was in the shop.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1953 on: 28.10. 2021 19:24 »
G'day Fellas.
rHonda lives! One second on the starter button and she burst into life. The only smoke was from the freshly painted pipes.
I build top ends almost dry, just enough oil to get the pistons & rings in the bores. Makes for a quick bed in so a few miles in the morning and she's done.
Tonight will be a quick carb balance and valve shim check, oil & filter change. Sunday a blast up to O'Connell pub.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1954 on: 28.10. 2021 20:29 »
Today I interacted with my bike the way I often do when I go into my shed for something;  I pressed the horn button and heard a reasonable response, so deduce that the battery is holding its charge fairly well. The machine is well dusted with wood dust from some recent chair renovations.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #1955 on: 01.11. 2021 00:28 »
This weekend I took a break from yardwork and my long list of home repair projects, and spent the weekend in the garage instead.  Made some real progress on my A10 restoration project - fitted the freshly painted oil tank, installed new oil pipes, adjusted the points gap, set the timing and adjusted the valves.  Then I tried starting the bike.  No luck at first, but with the liberal use of starter fluid I eventually got her to fire!  First time since circa 1982 as far as I know.  Now on to the wiring.  And the DMV paperwork.

The first start did reveal a few small issues that I have to sort out, of course.  One of them is an overflowing carburetor.  When the bowl fills with fuel and the float bobs up, it doesn't push the needle far enough to reach its seat and shut off the fuel.  It's a second-hand Amal 389 Monobloc off eBay that I rebuilt.  I assume I have all the right parts for this model, but you never know.  Before I start replacing parts, I will first try adding a little blob of solder to the float, to see if that pushes the needle up high enough.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1956 on: 01.11. 2021 01:52 »
Nice job on the oil tank Tom. The bike looks very clean and newish. After so long it must have felt good to hear her startup.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #1957 on: 01.11. 2021 07:49 »
I will first try adding a little blob of solder to the float, to see if that pushes the needle up high enough.
Maybealso check if there is a fibre washer under the needle valve seat? If there is, take it out? Original carbs don't usually have a washer there, new replacement ones seem to mostly.
Bill

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1958 on: 01.11. 2021 09:18 »
Looked in the Garage this morning just checked that the batteries on both bikes are Ok. Would like to start some work on them but am waiting for a new garage door to be fitted, the old up and over door  which is about 30 years old broke a spring and to buy new correct springs including postage was going to cost £220 it is just a single size door and as the bottom of the wood frame is going rotten decide to get a new door fitted. So going for a remote controlled insulated roller shutter door hopefully being fitted next week then can crack on with some work. Had to fold up my bike lift and move the bikes as far back into the garage as I can.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1959 on: 01.11. 2021 14:31 »
Managed to coax Jaws the Jawa outfit up to the top of Norfolk and back two up and with camping gear. Slow and not particularly steady.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1960 on: 02.11. 2021 00:01 »
Muskrat,
How did Rhonda the Honda go on your Sunday ride to the O'Connell Pub?
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1961 on: 02.11. 2021 17:33 »
A week or so ago I advised I'd ordered a socket to fit the cush drive nut in order to compare tightness between torquing up the nut or using a hammer and drift. Well, the socket arrived today, so I set about making the comparison.
First I tried tightening the nut just a fraction more (already done up previously with a punch). At 140ftlbs I stopped, as the socket kept slipping off the nut. Still no movement. I'd add that I'd locked the flywheel via a 1/2" stud through the 'sump' and into a balance hole, to circumvent the cam messing with the figures. So I'd guess the nut was at least 140ftlbs.
Secondly, I backed the nut off to discover how much torque was required to bring it back to just touching the sleeve - c. 20ftlbs.
Lastly, I measured the cam overlap at full extension (no spring fitted) - 5/16", confirming that even with a broken spring, one still has drive (assuming correct parts fitted).
But here's the pinch - engineering wisdom states that there is little correlation between torque and 'tightness' or compressive force generated by a bolt or nut. Apparently assumed tightness, even taking account of thread pitch and lubrication, can vary by 50% or more, which is why many critical fastenings these days are set by yield as opposed to torque.  For my own part, even after almost sixty years of bike ownership, I've never had a problem with doing such nuts up with a drift, so shall continue to do so. By the feel of the hammer one can tell when it's 'there'.

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1962 on: 02.11. 2021 17:48 »
i'm with you RD i punch mine up, the sound tells me it's sound. then i fit my home made locking ring that fits nicely in the original nut recess.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1963 on: 02.11. 2021 19:23 »
G'day Col.
Like a dream mate. Took it easy going up and let her rip coming home (lifts front in 3rd easy). Lucky there's no coppers out that way as when I got home I found she was out of rego the day before.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1964 on: 02.11. 2021 22:41 »
That's great Muskrat,
 The lack of Rego ads to the thrill?? I can't even lift my BSA in first (or I don't want to). I can meet you at the Grey Gums one day, but I'll pass on riding alongside you on Rhonda. *red* *lol*.
Col
RD - Your findings are very enlightening. To get 140ft-lbs you must be standing on the torque wrench or using an extension pipe.?? I found 65 ft-lbs on a standard torque wrench took a fair bit of effort. Also seems that the spring/cam reduces applied torque enough to create uncertainty. I think I will stick with the rattle gun, which like the punch removes these uncertainties. BSA were probably on the money back then.
1961 Golden Flash
Australia