Author Topic: Rear wheel bearings  (Read 1184 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Rear wheel bearings
« Reply #15 on: 30.07. 2018 09:56 »
And SEAL is the wrong word
It is a dust cover no more no less.
It does not & never can or will make a seal.

Currently I pretend to fix mowers
I get ride ons in that are less than a year old with stuffed spindle bearings because the owners use the wash out port when the mower is hot and when it gets cold with water on it the water gets sucked into the bearing.
Pulled way too many apart to fund the races full of water & rusted.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #16 on: 30.07. 2018 10:28 »

There is a formula to work out how much grease should be applied to a bearing before fitting
A while ago I had to replace the spindle bearings on my milling machine
These are high precision matched pair's you have to align marks on the inner and outer races when fitting them
They cost the best part of €500 for the pair trade price *eek*
A special grease cost €25 for a little tube
I cannot remember exactly the quantity but the required amount of grease was tiny  *ex* *ex*

John

The rule of thumb is 1/3 full of grease, most of the “so called” seal bearings I have looked at are way short of that more like about 5% full.
And as Trev said they are only dust covers.

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 30.07. 2018 19:58 »
Hi All,
Trevor,
I had not come across that problem with the lawnmower deck bearings, but could see it happening especially in warmer climates.
When I replaced the deck on my ride on I had it blasted and zinc dipped before fitting it *bright idea*
Th grass can be very wet over here  *sad2*

There are "sealed" bearings and there are corrosion "proof" bearings like these
http://www.skf.com/group/industry-solutions/food-and-beverage/processing-stages/post-processing-and-packaging/skf-stainless-steel-deep-groove-ball-bearings-with-solid-oil.html

There are also different materials used for shields/ seals where the bearings are exposed to water "spalshes" etc
The seals fitted to normal bearings are designed to keep the grease inside not so much contaminants out

If you fancy there's an easy dodge to add grease to a sealed bearing without removing the seals *bright idea*
cut a hole in a piece of rubber gasketing say 1/8th thick,  smaller than the outer race  but larger than the OD of the inner, place this on a flat surface and the bearing on top, fill the inner bore and the hole in the rubber with grease
Push a tight fitting cork or tight fitting dowel/ spindle into the bearing bore while holding the outer race tightly down onto the rubber gasketing
Take it easy or you can easily pop the topmost seal out *ex* as the bearing will be full of grease  *warn*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #18 on: 31.07. 2018 01:48 »

If you fancy there's an easy dodge to add grease to a sealed bearing without removing the seals *bright idea*
cut a hole in a piece of rubber gasketing say 1/8th thick,  smaller than the outer race  but larger than the OD of the inner, place this on a flat surface and the bearing on top, fill the inner bore and the hole in the rubber with grease
Push a tight fitting cork or tight fitting dowel/ spindle into the bearing bore while holding the outer race tightly down onto the rubber gasketing
Take it easy or you can easily pop the topmost seal out *ex* as the bearing will be full of grease  *warn*

John

That's a good one John I will try that *beer*
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 31.07. 2018 05:12 »
Hi guys, sorry John couldn’t work that method out, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 31.07. 2018 08:52 »
Beyond me too, but then so is the idea of adding grease to a "sealed for life" bearing... :!

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #21 on: 31.07. 2018 09:41 »
Hi guys, sorry John couldn’t work that method out, cheers

The outer race is thinner than the inner race on a standard ball bearing 
When put on the gasket material the inner will be clear of the table but the outer makes a seal against the gasket material.
The axle hole is filled with grease then a plunger ( the cork ) is pushed into the axle hole pushes the grease down and around the seal then past the lip & fills the bearing, compressing the air inside the bearing which will cause the top seal to distort and pop out if you over do it.

Doing it this way does not damage the lip on on the seal as picking it out can easily do.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #22 on: 31.07. 2018 09:48 »
Hi All,
Trevor,
I had not come across that problem with the lawnmower deck bearings, but could see it happening especially in warmer climates.

When I replaced the deck on my ride on I had it blasted and zinc dipped before fitting it *bright idea*
Th grass can be very wet over here  *sad2*
John

John,\
It is the same mechanism that draws water into a hot chain that is left to cool down while still wet.
Decks should be blown off with compressed air.
Air actually shifts grass, even wet grass a lot better than water.
he water sits on top of the upper bearing and fills up the cup on the lower bearing then gets sucked in as the bearing cools.

Good idea with the zinc but keep an eye on it as wet grass is quite acidic.
When I get paid to do a deck it gets 2 coats of POR 15 chassis coat then a top coat.
They never ever rust after that, even if the deck cracks.
Bike Beesa
Trevor