Author Topic: Bent frame?  (Read 769 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Bent frame?
« on: 10.07. 2018 09:54 »
When I restored my sickle I found that the fork stantions showed signs of being heated, presumably to straighten them. I put new ones on the bike. The bike does not ride straight if I take my hands off the handlebars. To balance the bike while riding hands off I need to lean to one side. I guess this means the frame is a bit twisted. It's not a problem as long as one hand is on the bars. Do you agree, it sounds like a bent frame?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
Re: Bent frame?
« Reply #1 on: 10.07. 2018 10:05 »
Hi GB!

I think a lot of our plungers had sidecars attached in their infancy, mine certainly did and I suspect my frame is twisted as a result. It's on my long list of things to have it checked and straightened - there's a place in Milton Keynes who do it for around £100 I believe...

Evidence of straightening the forks on your bike is possibly a red herring, since you replaced them in your rebuild. But if Previous Owner was repairing accident damage, then possibly the frame got damaged too? I could take some measurements for you if you like (bearing in mind my above mentioned suspicions), as mine is nearly down to the bare frame now.

All the best, Simon

Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.07. 2018 10:07 »
other stuff to consider GB, wheel alignment, in line and also vertical
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 10.07. 2018 10:31 »
G'day GB.
Bill's reply is the first thing I'd check.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.07. 2018 10:33 »
My machine deffo had a sidecar fitted, from new. I can imagine a prang on the front would tend to yank the sidecar, hence pulling the frame over. I'm not about to strip the frame to do anything about it so don't worry about measurements Simon, thank you. Fiddling with wheel alignment made no difference. I can live with it. A future buyer might not be so happy after a test ride though. I'll probably not be in a position to worry about that! I allowed a fellow club member to ride the bike and he only commented on how good the front brake is!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 10.07. 2018 11:01 »
You can tweak the rear wheel to compensate. If she pulls to the left the wheel needs to be pulled back on the left. It may only take 1/2 to 1 turn of the adjuster. Give it a try.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.07. 2018 11:08 »
You can tweak the rear wheel to compensate. If she pulls to the left the wheel needs to be pulled back on the left. It may only take 1/2 to 1 turn of the adjuster. Give it a try.
Cheers
Some time ago I tried this but it made no noticeable difference. I may try again.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #7 on: 11.07. 2018 05:20 »
I had a problem with my swing arm A7 years ago, just like that GB and it turned out to be the headstock bearings were worn/hammered, try the headstock for smoothness on rotation....

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 11.07. 2018 10:38 »
I had a problem with my swing arm A7 years ago, just like that GB and it turned out to be the headstock bearings were worn/hammered, try the headstock for smoothness on rotation....
Jules, I put tapered roller bearings in the headstock when I restored the bike so I doubt it's that.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 11.07. 2018 13:44 »
I haven't heard this one since I retired. BMW owners complained of wandering/oscillations when they took hands off the bars. My answer, "keep your hands on the bars". Not saying there may not be a problem with a much older bike. If it pulls consistently to one side, it may be something out of line, or for that matter camber in the road surface. Trying it on both sides of the road (beware of oncoming traffic) or in a level parking lot may tell you something.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 12.07. 2018 08:08 »
There is blue prints of the frames for these, some posted here and in the tech section, but a google image search brings them up, Ill try and post one, but simple task to measure.  We have a laser for leveling and construction work we got at Harbour freight,, My drainage pipe project (300 feet across the property) worked so well in 15 years have yet to have to use the cleanouts I installed.

You can use a laser or string to also chart out your measurements.  The longer the string or line, the easier to measure discrepancies.  2 long straight edges on either side of the tires is a good judge,,  We use to set up side cars for Urals at a shop, Some other brands as well. A bike for sidecars has different setups than a solo bike and not aligned right, is a nightmare to ride.

Old bikes are most certainly tweaked but some were easier to prang than others,, a Commando tweaks its frame if a curb is even in the vicinity,, (Flexy they are).  We sent out a old preunit Triumph (57 TR6) that was raced extensively and it was crooked in 18 ways according to the frame shop.  At that time there was 2 shops in the US that used lasers and had their setups,, one was local.  Owner was challenging so I wanted no questions about the frame.

It just depends, some parts are castings which you CANNOT bend or move, and then all that tubing, often hearth brazed into place,, All of it is adjustable to a degree..  There USED to be on InAccessibleNorton a thread called "Worlds straightest Norton" and some does not pertain to other bikes but it was an excellent tutorial on setting up a bike to run straight and true. A lot of people still ask for it but it vaporized last I heard.   Was watching some Old Indians and Harleys racing and rigid frames and was  amusing to see 70 year old frames flexing at high speeds on the race track.  There was a local that WAS racing a HD 45 mtr with BSA box in a Norton featherbed frame on the vintage MX circuits,,, That was FUN to watch that thing..
it was  a fan favorite seeing it go off jumps and shooting dirt in the air.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 12.07. 2018 09:53 »
Most of my bikes will roll true when I sit back and take my hands off the bars, some a little less so. My Loop has a gentle tendency to go left, countered by my leaning right a little. None of this at all noticeable with my hands on the bars and riding normally.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza