Author Topic: Rear tyre rubbing on tail/brake light wires under rear mudguard  (Read 1147 times)

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
I fitted a Paul Goff LED tail/brake light assembly to my A10 quite a while ago and was told that the brake light was constantly flickering. I adjusted the switch pull so that it acted with the pedal quite a bit further down but was told by a following biker that it was still flickering yesterday.

I went to investigate earlier but, before I got the lens off, I noticed wires showing up under the mudguard where they had been attacked by the tyre.

I am 17 stone and quite often give my 9 year old grandson a backy coz he delights in riding with me on "Flash" and he is about 6 stone.

I am guessing that the two of us are bottoming out the suspension but am not sure what to do about it.

My shocks are set on what I think is the softest setting and am wondering if I put them on the firmest setting that might help stop the bottoming out.

Advice would be appreciated.

Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
been a while since I was the brake light wiring, but the wire from my switch runs outside the rear mudguard until it meets up with the tail light wire under the seat then the two of them enter a hole in the mudguard under the seat as a twin cable plus an earth and travel to the rear lights through loops on the underside of the murder
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Mine are the same Bill. Its just above where the wires come through the mudguard that the sheathing (and hopefully not the insulation on the individual wires) has worn though.
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
...a twin cable plus an earth and travel to the rear lights through loops on the underside of the murder
Yikes!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Brian.
 *eek* 23 stone on the bike with shocks on softest setting  *ex* *bash* *sarcastic*
Your tyres may also have a higher profile. Maybe not with that much weight on them LOL.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi Brian,
Plus the above, what is the free length of the shocks? bolt centre to centre
Maybe shocks fitted are a bit short?

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
If the light flickers then there's something connecting/disconnecting so I'm afraid it'll either be a broken wire or a bad earth.
To be on the safe side I think you'll need to renew the wiring anyway.
Setting the shocks firmer might help in combination with some small cable loops holding the cable tight to the mudguard
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

*eek* 23 stone on the bike with shocks on softest setting  *ex* *bash* *sarcastic*
Your tyres may also have a higher profile. Maybe not with that much weight on them LOL.......

Ditto the aboves...soft setting *may* be just ok for just you, but not with extra

Quote from: bsa-bill on Today at 06:45:02

...a twin cable plus an earth and travel to the rear lights through loops on the underside of the murder

Yikes!   

Yea can get away with some things...but not here...*whistle*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
the underside of the murder

whoa - is spell correction  not just wonderful
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
Hi BrianS,

I think you need to put another two notches on the rear dampers setting to cope with the extra load. You should check the wiring connections to make sure everything is making a proper connection. Let us know the outcome.   *smile*

ELLIS

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
Hmm, I'm not so sure that its been rubbing guys, surely there would be rub marks on the nut adjacent to it and the whole area would be "shiny/scored"too if that was the case??? (or am I looking at it wrong??)...
also, I remember issues with early led light conversions in the home whereby they would flicker too and that was something to do with voltage compatibility/supply.....???? *dunno* *bright idea*

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Softest rear shock setting for your weight is way too soft. Put it up to hardest. I'm a mighty 11 stone and mid setting suits me. What tyre do you have on the back? I have an Avon SM 3.50 x 19 and no problems with rubbed wiring.
LED lights are voltage sensitive and will flicker rather horribly if the voltage drops below their operating range.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Some really helpful replies - thanks guys!

The distance between bolt centres on the shocks is 33cm.

The tyre is a 3.50 x 18 Avon Mk II

Looks like I will need a special C spanner to adjust the shocks - unless there is a dodge?
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
I ran the wiring on the outside all the way on my s/arm model. Kind of not too untidy - but I don't have to worry about keeping mine looking standard.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

...The tyre is a 3.50 x 18 Avon Mk II.....

3.50 is just the width, there should be some /80/90 type figure to denote the profile ratio....maybe *conf2*

.......Looks like I will need a special C spanner to adjust the shocks - unless there is a dodge?....

Multi grips is a bit rough, but may do the job; best get it up on the centre stand and add some lube to the rotating part....

I agree about the potential erratic low voltage LED syndrome...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia