Author Topic: Crusty Flash update...  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Golden_boy

• Active
Crusty Flash update...
« on: 15.05. 2018 13:02 »
Hi all,

Since my last post the bike has come together pretty well. Biggest pain was sorting the primary side/clutch to get alignment right. Needed quite a few spacers, then the SRM cush nut was catching the outer cover (which I stupidly initially thought was the three long bolts into the crank case hitting the crank - penny finally dropped when I shortened the bolts which made no difference). So I fixed this by carefully grinding the outer case where I could see it had rubbed. The outer case was a bit of a mess anyway as it had a big hole in it where the clutch had made an appearance at some point, so had that welded up. Both inner an outer were quite warped, but I'm pleased to say that touch wood (and much to my amazement) it has not leaked a drop of oil!

So bike is now up and running and covered about 200 miles, mostly in the playground that is north west Scotland (very gentle, although starting to open her up just a little towards the end. Oil changed after 50 miles). All seems fairly sweet and she is very willing. Very bouncy on the front on first outing but new tt100 front tyre seems to have cured that. Brakes better than expected, particularly the front, although it is not perfectly 100% smooth (standard 8 inch 1/2 width which I left with shoes that came with it - green lining - used for racing I was told).     

She is a heavy wet sumper so I read the recent post on that with interest - I will pull the timing cover off and check the pump is seated fine but otherwise I'll just live with it as I have a sump with a plug. There's obviously good return to the tank and after that many miles without problem I'm willing to assume a decent amount of oil is getting to the right places.

She has also stopped charging (or never did - cant be 100% on that, although gut instinct is that she was charging initially). I'm on 6 v, dynamo serviced by Priory, new good quality regulator. I refitted the drive chain that came with it so I'm suspecting that has failed which is going to be my first check when I look at the oil pump. Probably go for a belt conversion.

There are also oil leaks - not figured out quite where from yet - its definitely engine oil and drips from various places - sump, frame and quite a bit around the center stand / gearbox - could well be some dodgy fiber washers on the tank I wonder?

My only other general comment is that she does have quite a bad vibration (although I've definitely felt worse), starting at about 55 mph in top which I think started to reduce a little beyond about 65 - not been much past that so cant say yet what higher speeds are like - I guess this is not uncommon when there has been no attempts at crank balancing. Felt it more through the seat than the bars so refurbing the seat may help! Also might get a bigger gearbox sprocket to increase the cruise speed in the sweet spot. 

I'll fit an oil filter at some point - like the look of the canister which takes an Enfield filter, and there are of course a few other finishing off bits and pieces for next winter! 

Thoughts on any of the above very welcome!

Offline harvey mushman

• A's Good Friend
Re: Crusty Flash update...
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2018 18:24 »
Cracking pics glad to see you got out. The weather was nice at the weekend up here for a change.

I took my A65 to Largs and was surrounded by harley owners and various japanese stuff.

cheers

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 15.05. 2018 20:27 »
You might recognise this then, taken a few years ago. Clocked up quite a few miles on the same A7 this week, around Edinburgh and Borders.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Golden_boy

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 16.05. 2018 11:19 »
Good stuff - I was surprised how quiet it was in the far north - season only just starting to kick off up there.

I'm going to get a ride into the Borders one evening next week if the weather remains good.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.05. 2018 11:51 »
Love the look of that bike.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2018 13:19 »
Another one back on the road. Great job!

Offline Golden_boy

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 16.05. 2018 14:01 »
DVLA say last taxed in 1984 - the year I was born!

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.05. 2018 01:54 »
Love the crust.

Born in '84? Most of us have pimples older than that.  *smile*  Glad you're here and representing.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 17.05. 2018 08:27 »
It's great to see young'uns enjoying our old bikes. My newest bike is one year older.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 17.05. 2018 09:27 »
Maybe some more investigation of the charging problem before fitting a belt? I always like to sort the basic niggles before installing upgrades.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #10 on: 17.05. 2018 09:28 »
Love it  *smile* if intending to keep it as original aged\vintage\well used, maybe treat it with rust stabiliser + a good layer of clear coat paint.

About vibrations, first make sure all engine mounts\bolts\brackets are well tight.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Golden_boy

• Active
« Reply #11 on: 17.05. 2018 16:50 »
Thanks for the pointers - will let you know how things progress.

I did a proper paint job, for example on underside of tinware and tank so nothing is rotting away out of site - coat of owatrol on the outside. I might paint it one day but not doing so certainly sped up the project and cut the cost, not having to think about shiney new chrome and the like. I've also kept maximum original parts that way too.

Think there is already enough oil around the lower half of the the frame for preservation there.

Yes, I probably have less grey hair than most on here - I will try to get some younger comrades interested!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 18.05. 2018 08:58 »

It looks a bit how my Road Rocket was, although it had actual burgundy colour paint on some of it- not saying yours isn't actual paint though..and  loved that p.o.s.. its surprising what a difference a 30-50% solution of phosphoric acid will make....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #13 on: 03.01. 2019 08:05 »
Have you sorted out that vibration?  Interestingly that is the same rev range that I get a vibration in top gear (and at similar revs in other gears).  It sounds to me like an external metal vibration but all the mudguards etc are tight.  Above 65mph it goes away.

Northern Territory, Australia

Offline Golden_boy

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 04.01. 2019 09:42 »
Hi UncleD - yeah, I had a long ride to Cork in the summer and by then end I concluded that it was really not too bad and for sure nothing more than a minor crank balance issue. I don't know what the spectrum of good and bad vibrations is for these machines, but certainly not going back into the crank for balancing just now.   

On the run back to Dublin, unfortunately the primary chain broke and wrecked both primary cases at the crank end - I'm interested to know if it is 'normal' that in the event that the primary chain breaks both cases are mashed, or was I unlucky? Makes me very nervous of anything going wrong in there... I had reused an old chain which looked perfectly good and was running in the correct amount of oil - on inspection it was the split link that had failed.

Anyway, I have since sourced new cases which are much better than the previous ones and after the painful job of grinding the outer one to clear the crank nut, its back together. I've not ridden her since Ireland as there are a couple of other jobs that need done and unfortunately I have been distracted with house renovations and the impeding birth of my first child expected March! 

I am very much planning on fettling her up for this summer - I have family in Devon and was going to drag her down there for the Jurassic coast to coast run - looks like fun.

Happy new year all.