Author Topic: A7 Side stand & Flat oil tank WANTED  (Read 1233 times)

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
A7 Side stand & Flat oil tank WANTED
« on: 20.02. 2018 19:34 »
I am looking for a BSA side stand , Frame has welded half lug diameter is 1 - 1/8" . I dont want to risk a replica type , so a genuine one please.
Also, I am looking for a FLAT oil tank swing arm model. Can anyone help?
Many Thanks
P.S Looking for many 1954 A7 SS parts so even if it is not listed here please get intouch with what you have to offer
Located in the U.K

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Re: A7 Side stand & Flat oil tank WANTED
« Reply #1 on: 21.02. 2018 08:45 »
Sorry have not got one and I think originals are pretty rare as I look some time ago. There are however various threads on here about some good and bad replica ones and things like my home made one that has really turned out well. Do a search if interested  *smile*
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 21.02. 2018 19:26 »
I never did get a replica type that worked for me, they all seemed a bit generic and , when deployed,had the bike in an awkward leaning jowler stance giving the impression it was about to fall over (it never did just looked odd)   *conf*
Maybe some members have a better replica one they can recommend in the UK

If you can find a stock one it's the way to go (probably more chance of finding Lord Lucan riding Shergar but ...you never know)

IF you can't find what you want and your not hung up on originality consider using a side stand from a Triumph T160  *eek*
I did this on my swing arm B33 after reading about it on another forum.
It will require a bit of butchery to make it a bit shorter (I cut the bend down)
The spring knob is in the right place and the whole thing doesn't look out of place when tucked away against the frame
Bike sits just right when the side stand is in use

It works for me

HTH

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 21.02. 2018 20:07 »
Thanks for the replies, I am just worried a replica on will go "twang " and leave my bike on the floor in a crushed mess. I will look at possibly making one /or modifying another type to suit.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #4 on: 21.02. 2018 20:20 »
That was what caused my self (with the help of a friend) made one. The re-pro broke while I was standing on the right side of the bike (thank god). see https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=9519.msg72657#msg72657
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.02. 2018 22:37 »
I would need to check but pretty sure  I have a flat oil tank for S/A and think it has fairly decent black paint, I'll check tomorrow and put up a pic for you to look at
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.02. 2018 22:54 »
I have no clue as to if this would work, but the ad from British Cycle (Nova Scotia) showed up in my email today. Looks like a nice, strong piece. Obviously, not intended to work with the half-clamp that's already welded to your frame (as both my bikes have).

http://www.britcycle.com/Products/06/06_7719a.htm

Richard L.

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 22.02. 2018 00:01 »
I would need to check but pretty sure  I have a flat oil tank for S/A and think it has fairly decent black paint, I'll check tomorrow and put up a pic for you to look at
Yes, That would be great ! Thanks  *smile*

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 22.02. 2018 00:05 »
I have no clue as to if this would work, but the ad from British Cycle (Nova Scotia) showed up in my email today. Looks like a nice, strong piece. Obviously, not intended to work with the half-clamp that's already welded to your frame (as both my bikes have).

Richard L.
That certainly looks like a nice strong piece, however with my A7 being a '54 it has the half lug already welded to the frame . Thanks for pointing it out though!

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 22.02. 2018 03:12 »
If you get stuck, we would have one here (Flat oil tank, possibly even the stand), just not sure if the post would kill the deal though. Post to UK is ridiculous for some reason :(

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 24.02. 2018 00:17 »
Hello Bill, did you manage to  take any pictures of the flat oil tank yet ?
 *smile*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 24.02. 2018 00:43 »

Hey gpo, it'd be a gamble unless you know someone with, or have access to a Noturn as in Richards link, you *may* be able to mix  'n match the clamp / lugs (one or the other)??   (I'm sure it'd take 'em a while to miss it *smile*)

Richard L.

I did what scotty suggested and have on my Plunger R-Flash, prop-stand from an OIF A65  (fairly sure BSA & TRi**** are same, but not sure what mine is), BSA # 83-1560
 I know I had to modify the clevis bit some, and also have custom muffler setup, dunno how any of above would fit a S/A, but suspect the Noturn one more straightforward

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 24.02. 2018 10:39 »
Hi gpo746
Sorry it's taken a couple of days, I had a follow up meeting with the surgeon that did my knee and stuff to do in Berwick over the last few days.
So found the tank, flat is a bit of a relative term for these tanks, it's the flatter of the two tanks but not as flat as the flat toolbox, threads are good, tank is sound, paint is so so but has a few scrapes, no dents that I could see, when I bought it it was sealed with tape which explains the square mark around the filter /drain hole (probably to seal it for posting).
Anyway it's not going anywhere soon so have a good look, if it's what you want send me a PM,
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 24.02. 2018 18:38 »
Thats not a problem, health comes first ! knees can be a bugger ...I know! Well, I have no idea what to offer for a flat oil tank especially sight unseen , I know the rounded tanks fetch more . Does anyone on here have a clue on prices for one of these? A little guidance would be appreciated *smile*

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 24.02. 2018 18:42 »

Hey gpo, it'd be a gamble unless you know someone with, or have access to a Noturn as in Richards link, you *may* be able to mix  'n match the clamp / lugs (one or the other)??   (I'm sure it'd take 'em a while to miss it *smile*)

Richard L.

I did what scotty suggested and have on my Plunger R-Flash, prop-stand from an OIF A65  (fairly sure BSA & TRi**** are same, but not sure what mine is), BSA # 83-1560
 I know I had to modify the clevis bit some, and also have custom muffler setup, dunno how any of above would fit a S/A, but suspect the Noturn one more straightforward

Hmmm.  ... I suppose I will wait until the bike is on its wheels , engine in and pipes on before I can sensibly consider a non-standard part. Thanks for the advice and info !
I really need to concentrate on finding an original A7 or B31 centerstand ,either will do!. Cant start the project off until It can securely sit it on a centerstand ! ebay prices are eyewatering and well off budget for me . !