Author Topic: Brake Drum Tolerances  (Read 643 times)

Offline davewes

• Active
Brake Drum Tolerances
« on: 12.02. 2018 21:22 »
I'm just trying to improve braking and remove some judder from my front brake (full width 8" iron drum on my 58 Gold Flash). The drum has about 5 thou ovality - could someone please let me know if this within reasonable tolerances or should I get it machined. Thanks

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Brake Drum Tolerances
« Reply #1 on: 12.02. 2018 21:51 »

Hiya Dave  *welcome*

I know its just the Q. how much, but there's quite a few recent discussions on this and how to rectify if you do a search.

I have to check mine out too, and it was a NOS hub until I put it to use six months ago *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline davewes

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 12.02. 2018 22:22 »
Thanks Dutch. Yea I've done a bit of research through the Forum's excellent database and have used the adhesive abrasive paper trick to bed in the brake shoes, and am also changing the steering head bearings as part of a brakes/steering/forks refurb.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.02. 2018 22:34 »
G'day Dave. Nearly 8 years since your last post. Good to see your still here and the bike must be going well.
5thou" isn't much but you will still feel a judder.
I would get it machined but with the rim laced in (spoke tightening can pull the drum out of round). Then the shoes will need radiusing to match.
Cheers

note to self: both mine need doing but brakes only slow you down!
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #4 on: 12.02. 2018 22:57 »

note to self: both mine need doing but brakes only slow you down!
Love it *pull hair out* *beer*
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 13.02. 2018 03:03 »
Thanks Dutch. Yea I've done a bit of research through the Forum's excellent database and have used the adhesive abrasive paper trick to bed in the brake shoes, and am also changing the steering head bearings as part of a brakes/steering/forks refurb.

Dave, you can use the stick on abrasive paper other way out to make the drum round again. 5 thou isn't much, the abrasive paper will do a perfect job.

I had recently had two bikes with juddery front brakes, both are now fixed with this method.

Glen

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 13.02. 2018 10:32 »

A note of caution on this, the paper trick can result in both shoes contacting at the same time, a SLS brake works far better if the leading shoe contacts first.

A way around this is to place a thin spacer (say 020”j under the trailing shoe so it’s lifted slightly off the brake cam, then remove the spacer after doing the paper trick.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline davewes

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 13.02. 2018 13:44 »
Thanks for the responses chaps, very useful as always. Muskrat, the bike has gone well over the 8 years but of course not without some challenges/fun. I'll post the story soon as a contribution to this great Forum.