Author Topic: introduction  (Read 1282 times)

Offline dazza

• Active
introduction
« on: 06.12. 2017 01:45 »
Hi Gents/Ladies
Where do I start? I have restored a few bikes in my time but never a 1958 British BSA super rocket a10(a bit before my time) and  I'm doing it for a retired family friend.
the bike is complete and has been stood for about 5 or 6 years it has a very poor spark at the plugs and won't start also tyres are cracked and hard.
Mick the owner is keen to go electronic ignition so which is the best and is there a link on here of step by step installation guide also can I print off a workshop manual I'm flying blind so to speak and need as much information advice as I can get please.
the bike is in great condition just needs a full service tune fit the electronic ignition new tyres and good spit and polish and she will look brilliant again, so hopefully a quick turnaround for Mick and myself.
Looking forward to the challenge and hearing the bike start, I will post some pictures of the bike when we get started on it I would post some of my other restorations on here but there japanese 2strokers and I don't won't to upset anyone lol
thankyou in advance and if I'm slow to respond because I work away and have limited access to the internet
thanks
Dazza

Offline dazza

• Active
Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: 06.12. 2017 02:05 »
oh bye the way we are in Perth Western Australia

Offline Shark

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 06.12. 2017 06:56 »
Hi Dazza and welcome. Tri Spark make an electronic mag replacement and if you look up their website they may well have fitting instructions ( they do for their other ignitions ), you will need to convert the bike to 12 volts and there is lots of info regarding that procedure on this forum. The Tri is not cheap but nor is a mag overhaul, as for mag or modern I will leave that debate to others. The only online manual site I know of does not have one for your machine so can't help you there but others will be along soon with that. Cheers.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.12. 2017 08:20 »

G'day dazz I'm on the other side we get the sun first *smile* but sometimes leave some for yez...

good onya for helping out your mate, but Just keep in mind this is just a Intro board, and specific topics need to go in their relevant thingos *shh*

*welcome*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 06.12. 2017 09:40 »
G'day dazza, welcome to the forum.
We have a few sandgropers (west aussies) on the forum. Are you in the big smoke or in the bulldust?
Was the bike going when parked? Make good use of the search button. Most problems have been sorted.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 06.12. 2017 11:29 »
 *welcome* from sunny Formby UK .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 06.12. 2017 13:41 »
Welcome, from snowy Alps :)

Thanks for the intro post.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.12. 2017 14:26 »
 *welcome* from Chicagoland, USA. I think you should go to our Members List, find Orabanda and drop him a PM. Since W.A. is just postage-stamp sized, there is a chance he will be near you and become a wealth of local information for you. (Not meaning to commit his service, but he's a good guy.)

I have a funny feeling you might end up the owner of this Super Rocket or some other A7/A10 when you're done. The hobby is infectious, if sometimes frustrating (or maybe because it is sometimes frustrating).

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 06.12. 2017 23:04 »
Welcome!
Your first search term should be 'Sludge Trap'. Just saying!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 06.12. 2017 23:17 »
Look for a PM with my contact info, I can send you a BSA Factory workshop manual as well as the factory parts book. (The parts book is invaluable and inconceivable to take on a job without one.........Lets see here, I forgot! Which way does the wigglestick fit against the wazzledis, and where does the locktab go?)

I will ask about file sharing here, but there is a variety of websites that shop manuals and parts books can be downloaded for free,,

BSA had a weird way of doing most everything.  I am sure many decisions were besotted gin fueled ideas, but much of it is Pendantic engineers and organizing things only an engineer would do.  (With a touch of OCD). So, for much of the history of early BSA they had a bewildering way of communication and Triumph would print a parts book for every year and model and then they came out with a workshop manual every few years with updates and tailored to the newer models.

BSA did not start doing this until late 50s and more so in the 1960s when of course BSA &Triumph had merged.  But the early models the "Manuals" tend to more like a owners manual, and less a workshop manual.  (At least much of the material I read, but not all of them certainly).  But they did make great use out of the "Service sheets".   I dont know how accessible these service sheets were to the regular owners, but they are similar to factory service bulletins other makes and models used.  But they cover all the models from M models, A, B, C and things like Bantams.   They are numbered 200 series, 300 series etc etc and they added and subtracted these infilled over the years.  I have several versions of these and a master copy is around 1250 pages with a lot of the material NOT related to your specific model.

Here is a sample from the 800 series...:

808 1960 A, B, M C10 & C11 Wiring diagram (negative earth) 2
808 1965 A, B, M C10 & C11 Wiring diagram (negative earth) 2
808A A, B & M group Wiring diagram (positive earth) 2
808A 1954 A, B & M group Wiring diagram (positive earth) 2
808A 1961 A, B & M group Wiring diagram (positive earth) 2
808C 1958 C10L (54 -55) and C11G Wiring diagram 2
808D 1961 C12 and C10L Wiring diagram 2
808F 1957 M group, 56-57,B group, 55-57 Wiring diagram (positive earth) 2
808F 1958 M group, 56-57,B group, 55-57 Wiring diagram (positive earth) 2
808H 1959 B group fitted with alternator Wiring diagram (positive earth) 1
808J C15 and B40 Wiring diagram 2
809 All, except alternator models Generators model E3H and E3HM 8
809 1948 All, except alternator models Generators model E3H and E3HM

---------------------------------------------------------------

So, may i suggest literature and service data is job #1

#2, compile a list of parts that are useable and can be serviced and rebuilt
#3, Compile a list of parts needed and begin acquisition
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline dazza

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 07.12. 2017 01:50 »
Thanks everyone for the replies spoke with Mick we will start the project in the new year I'm off to work now and will be offline for a week all the questions will becoming thick and fast come the new year again thanks
cheers
Dazza

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 07.12. 2017 08:42 »
Look for a PM with my contact info, I can send you a BSA Factory workshop manual as well as the factory parts book. (The parts book is invaluable and inconceivable to take on a job without one.........Lets see here, I forgot! Which way does the wigglestick fit against the wazzledis, and where does the locktab go?)

Hi Danza, The www.draganfly.co.uk site is a good alternative to a parts book whilst you look for one.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline tinu

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 07.12. 2017 11:47 »
Hi Dazza and welcome, mate!
Cheers
Tinu
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 07.12. 2017 13:19 »
Welcome Dazza
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 07.12. 2017 14:09 »
I know it's not really an answer to the question, but I'd just get the magneto refurbed and refitted.

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza