Author Topic: SOURCED: Parts for BSA 650cc 1962 GF  (Read 1282 times)

Offline RdeBeer

• Active
SOURCED: Parts for BSA 650cc 1962 GF
« on: 27.11. 2017 12:16 »
Hello

Thank you for approving my request to join this forum.
This is my first post so apologies if I have not posted this in the correct section.

REF: BSA 650cc 1962 Golden Flash

My dad in Zimbabwe is rebuilding an old BSA 650cc Golden Flash and is looking for the following:

A. Magneto - cam ring (not movable)

B. Smith's Chronometric Speedometer - SPARES
     i. Brass gear (refer to pencil points in attached photo)
    ii. Speedo needle (also refer to photo)

I was kindly offered a complete speedometer for purchase by Ashley however I am hoping to find the spares if that is at all possible.

Any advice on where I could source these spares would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Rosie

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: Wanted: Parts for BSA 650cc 1962 GF
« Reply #1 on: 27.11. 2017 21:23 »
Hello, someone will be along shortly to tell you to do a introduction on the Intro and new members page, who you are, and something about the bike and any history,
(Pictures,,, they LOVE pictures here)

But more to the point, I am not able to help on the parts at this time but I have a 52 Plunger GF myself that I need to get around to putting up for sale, (needs total rebuild and restoration) But I CAN offer if needed manuals (Factory) and parts books digital so assuming file sizes are not too large, would be happy to pass them on if you dont already have access to them.  They are invaluable of course in such a project.

Zimbabwe????  Holy cow! That must be challenging!  I used to live and work in the middle east and parts of Europe and had the benefit of US Postal facilities (Military) and working on and maintaining a vintage vehicle or restoring one was challenging.  I just shipped some foot pegs to a fellow in Italy and it took just over 30 days to arrive in his hands.  I cant imagine Zimbabwe.

( I worked on a variety of friends cars and motorcycles while overseas, and had my own car shipped over, a 1963/4 Nova SS hotrod,, I had several orders held up because the order dept wrote back in those preinternet days "You did not indicate if your car has airconditioning or not, we cannot process your order until you fill out all the details"  Never mind the fact my car was far from stock or never came with that power train. There were many such incidents like that)

I will add that the Magneto assys have their own parts and workshop manuals, And while i have some Smiths instruments materials, no actual sevice manuals or parts books.  My hats off to anyone who takes on rebuilding the internals of a chronometric speedo, I am learning how on Magnetic instruments but the Chrono is a technical undertaking.

Best wishes...
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.11. 2017 14:59 »
 *welcome*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 28.11. 2017 19:15 »
G'day Rosie.
Try  http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/parts/index.htm  for magneto parts.
There's a needle and faces for the speedo on ebay. You could try  http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/  for parts.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RdeBeer

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 29.11. 2017 18:54 »
Thanks very much for kind offer of digital manuals/parts. That would be much appreciated if not any trouble.
Dad's a fitter and turner so possibly be useful if he decides to make one up. (Sounds like it's quite a finicky precision-type feat to undertake, so would be a last resort if we can't find the parts)

30 days for a postal delivery sounds pretty good to me, by African standards anyway .. *smiley4*
I usually rely on word-of-mouth to get things back home, as unless you use the more expensive couriers such as DHL, it's unlikely to arrive at all.

Thanks again for your help

Best Regards

Hello, someone will be along shortly to tell you to do a introduction on the Intro and new members page, who you are, and something about the bike and any history,
(Pictures,,, they LOVE pictures here)

But more to the point, I am not able to help on the parts at this time but I have a 52 Plunger GF myself that I need to get around to putting up for sale, (needs total rebuild and restoration) But I CAN offer if needed manuals (Factory) and parts books digital so assuming file sizes are not too large, would be happy to pass them on if you dont already have access to them.  They are invaluable of course in such a project.

Zimbabwe????  Holy cow! That must be challenging!  I used to live and work in the middle east and parts of Europe and had the benefit of US Postal facilities (Military) and working on and maintaining a vintage vehicle or restoring one was challenging.  I just shipped some foot pegs to a fellow in Italy and it took just over 30 days to arrive in his hands.  I cant imagine Zimbabwe.

( I worked on a variety of friends cars and motorcycles while overseas, and had my own car shipped over, a 1963/4 Nova SS hotrod,, I had several orders held up because the order dept wrote back in those preinternet days "You did not indicate if your car has airconditioning or not, we cannot process your order until you fill out all the details"  Never mind the fact my car was far from stock or never came with that power train. There were many such incidents like that)

I will add that the Magneto assys have their own parts and workshop manuals, And while i have some Smiths instruments materials, no actual sevice manuals or parts books.  My hats off to anyone who takes on rebuilding the internals of a chronometric speedo, I am learning how on Magnetic instruments but the Chrono is a technical undertaking.

Best wishes...

Offline RdeBeer

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 29.11. 2017 19:04 »
G'day  *smile*

Thanks very much for that info. Would it be at all possible to quote an ebay reference number / post a link as I had a look on ebay but couldn't see where it was advertised. (I'm obviously not looking in the right place)

Thanks too for your recommendations on the magneto and speedo parts. Haven't had a chance to look at their websites yet but will do so.

Much appreciated!

Rosie

G'day Rosie.
Try  http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/parts/index.htm  for magneto parts.
There's a needle and faces for the speedo on ebay. You could try  http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/  for parts.
Cheers

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RdeBeer

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 29.11. 2017 19:47 »
Thanks very much....aaah it's from the States...no wonder I never saw it. I was looking at the UK ebay site.
Is this the one you were referring to? (please see attached photo)
Ebay Ref: Speedometer Needle for SMITHS AJS BSA Norton NEW #405A
Sorry - I'm not great with all this technical jargon.

G'day Rosie.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=smiths+speedometer
Cheers

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.11. 2017 20:09 »
I ordered a needle, glass etc from this company via eBay. This card came in the post with it.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Re: SOURCED: Parts for BSA 650cc 1962 GF
« Reply #9 on: 13.12. 2017 22:20 »
Hi,
I used a old established M/C company called Gaggs of Nottingham (UK) to rebuild my speedo and convert it from the 70/80mph model to the 120mph model. Not cheap but you only get what you pay for I guess.

http://www.gaggs.co.uk/

Good luck.
RR

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 13.12. 2017 22:32 »
I've also used MJC Products for spares. Look for Ebay seller name mjcprod.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 14.12. 2017 11:48 »
Hi,

These are some contact details I have:-

Philip Woods: 01903 724509. Brawnywoo19@btinternet.com
http://www.chronometricspeedos.co.uk/index.html
35 Stanley Road, Wick, Littlehampton, West Sussex, BN17 6JE
Overhauled my A10 chronometric for £78.00 inc new bezel, seal & UK postage.

Speedograph Richfield Ltd, Darlton Drive, Arnold, Nottingham NG5 7JR United Kingdom.
 Telephone:0044 (0) 115 926 4235.
Email: Info@speedographrichfield.com

Chronometrics (Russell Smalley)
Unit 21b, The Sherbrook Business Centre, Sherbrook Road, Daybrook, Nottingham NG5 6AT
info@chronometrics.co.uk

Good luck,
Roger.

1960 Golden Flash