Author Topic: Rim tape  (Read 1022 times)

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
Rim tape
« on: 24.11. 2017 07:46 »
I've just chnged the rear tyre on my A7SS. The rim tape was in good condition (and I know it's not very old) except that at each point where there was a spoke nipple, the tape had split, not enough for the nipple to poke through and touch the tube, but a split of about 1.5mm on top of the nipple. The spoke thread appeared flush or below the surface of the nipple, so I put new rim tape over the top in the hope that double cushioning will protect the tube. Is such splitting - you could almost call it cracking - normal? It's been 40 years since I last changed a tyre, so I can't remember.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rim tape
« Reply #1 on: 24.11. 2017 09:03 »
I've seen this on bicycles but I run much higher pressures on those. I tend to just wind some electrical tape around over the top.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.11. 2017 09:05 »

CB rounded me up, but is on the same channel...

Steve, I can't give a decisive answer on that, but recently changed to a new tyre and did a similar thing....can't see any reason to not double up *dunno*.

If the tape is also 40 yrs old, yo're doin' well.... *conf2*...but now I think about it the tyre I doubled up on was on a treadly, but can't see any diff...(I did a couple in a short timeframe)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.11. 2017 09:09 »
Sometimes the nipple does not seat properly into the dimple of the rim. Sometimes the dimpling of a replacement rim is not quite right allowing the nipple to stand a bit proud. If there is a sharp edge of nipple sticking up consider filing it back a bit.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.11. 2017 09:47 »
I always fit two tapes to make sure, they seem a bit thin to me, but I guess it depends on the brand?

Only downside is getting the valve through the tapes is a bit harder.

I actually fitted a new tyre and tube today and used two new tapes I was lucky to have “in stock”, had they not have been I was wondering whether I could make a tape out of the old inner tube......it must be possible and the material will be thicker.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.11. 2017 11:12 »
Insulting tape seeems to be good for this.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 24.11. 2017 12:25 »
I changed hundreds of tires working at a shop that sold a lot of tires. Never saw that. Saw plenty of worn out and dry rotted rim strips, but none as you described. Purpose made rim strips are convenient, but duct tape will do the same job. I agree with Julian though. Doubling up on rim strips seems you may be masking an underlying (there, I said it) problem.

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 24.11. 2017 16:14 »
I think Julian may have a point. The wheels were rebuilt before I bought the bike, but judging by their condition they've hardly done any mileage. I suspect we're talking about a nipple/dimple mismatch - painful! They do seem to sit a bit prouder than I would have expected, but I've nothing to compare them with.

While on the subject,  - I've put a Metzeler Block C 3.50-19 57P on as a rear. I've not see it mentioned in tyre threads, but it's got a nice blocky old fashioned tread, but a more rounded profile than the Avon SM. Handles nicely too.

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 24.11. 2017 19:15 »
had they not have been I was wondering whether I could make a tape out of the old inner tube......it must be possible and the material will be thicker.

I've tried it and it worked out pretty crap because the curved shape of the tube once cut wouldn't sit as nice as proper rim tape, you might be abe to do it with spending a bit more time on it than I was prepared to

I always replace rim tape and tubes every time I change tyres, cheap insurance against stuff going wrong, tubes and rim tape are like everything else they wear and age
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #9 on: 24.11. 2017 22:00 »
   I had good luck with just wrapping many rounds of electrical tape around the nipples, it lasted from 1999 to present, 2018).  I am about to put new front tire on, and going to try a 10 speed inner tube stretched around over nipples, (I have 15 or 20 of them ) and I am with the fella that said the real rim tape is too thin and does crack from stresses against the nipples.  Do not cut the inner tube put it (stretched snug over nipples ) the whole tube intact . (making it double thickness )  I am just not sure how this might affect the wheel balancing, if at all.  The bottom line is, I rarely ever am going over 50 MPH  (US miles)  and never had a problem with wheel balance.  Go from one side of the rim stem hole all the way around to the other side of the rim stem hole, then 2 rounds of electrical tape to hold it in place so you can get the tube stem through the wheel ok and sealed , and with the stem nut in place.  All motorcycles used to use a seal first then the tube stem nut, so the tube would not rot out right where stem comes through the wheel, (where water would always just sit, and rot it out )  You can make your own seal for that, especially if you ride your machine in the rain.  My actual factory seal, has the proper formation to seal to the Jones rim, but be flat on top for the tube stem nut to put equal even force down on wheel.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #10 on: 24.11. 2017 22:58 »
One of my pet hates is removing a tyre and finding layers of electrical tape where there should be a proper rim tape. I too always replace the rim tape and tube whenever I change a tyre. Just seems to make sense...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 25.11. 2017 21:07 »
One of my pet hates is removing a tyre and finding layers of electrical tape where there should be a proper rim tape.

Yes, me too, sometimes it can be crap stuff to get off, to me it just looks like people over thinking a very simple thing, on my dirtbikes which get regular use I don't ever use more than one rim tape and although the tyre change intervals are probably far shorter than the average BSA owner it's usage is far more extreme
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #12 on: 25.11. 2017 21:46 »
One of my pet hates is removing a tyre and finding layers of electrical tape where there should be a proper rim tape.

Yes, me too, sometimes it can be crap stuff to get off, to me it just looks like people over thinking a very simple thing, on my dirtbikes which get regular use I don't ever use more than one rim tape and although the tyre change intervals are probably far shorter than the average BSA owner it's usage is far more extreme

All you have to do is cut the tape in 2 places 180 degrees apart, and pull off in two pieces, very simple.  I do not advocate to always do this, but if it all you have at the time it does get you by for a time, and protects the tube.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #13 on: 26.11. 2017 07:06 »
When I have come across it it has been clearly a bodge. Layers and layers of ancient cracked tape that has taken a bit of effort to remove and clean up after. Rim tapes here in the old country are OK. I like to remove them and check that there is no corrosion underneath (common enough in our damp climate) and then give the inside of the rim and spoke nipple heads a good coat of Agricastrol rust inhibitor before putting on the new rim tape. Can't do that with electrical tape.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep