Author Topic: SRM Replacement Oil Pump  (Read 7536 times)

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
SRM Replacement Oil Pump
« on: 17.11. 2017 12:51 »
Does anyone have any experience of replacing an A10 oil pump with the SRM "A7 A10 Oil pump SRM Billet high delivery Improved"? Is this a worthwhile project? Are there any problems in fitting the pump? Are there any cheaper alternatives that I should consider?

Thanks - Rowan

Current bike: 1958 A10 Super Rocket (in bits), purchased in 1967.
Previous bikes: M21

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: SRM Replacement Oil Pump
« Reply #1 on: 17.11. 2017 13:24 »
I was once told that they were too efficient and because they circulated the oil so quickly it had less chance to cool down.

I think there are folks here who use them and rate them and will discount the above as BS. They'll be along shortly I'm sure.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 17.11. 2017 13:48 »
HI rowan.Bradley,
 I fitted one of these pumps to my 1960 A10 last year with no fitting or running problems. You will have to remove the original studs and also the small round spacing washer on the front stud as well as the main pump gasket. You will receive new Allen bolts in place of the studs along with an installation sheet.
I cut down an Allen key so as to use a socket onto a Torque wrench to tighten the screws. I do recommend using a small smear of Wellseal on the timing cover gasket to eliminate oil leaks. The pumps are expensive but well worth the money.

Regards
ELLIS   

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.11. 2017 14:22 »
I installed one on my Golden Flash.

My experience is that it's good quality, easy to install,no fitment issues and it performs very well.

IMHO a worthwhile modification.

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.11. 2017 16:06 »
First class high delivery and scavenge pump well worth fitting especially as the originals tend to warp. Have used one since 2009 and done over 30000 miles with it.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 17.11. 2017 16:08 »
Top quality pump, the oil gushed round. Easy fit. No issues, get one for Christmas. Nice colour as well : )

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.11. 2017 18:12 »
Thanks for those recommendations. I will consider fitting one if my pump looks in any way worn or damaged. I have not actually found the old pump yet (still sorting through many boxes of bits).  And maybe when I've found it I'll ask SRM to test the old pump as someone else suggested.

Thanks - Rowan

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 17.11. 2017 18:20 »
I was once told that they were too efficient and because they circulated the oil so quickly it had less chance to cool down.
I think that suggestion violates the laws of physics. Things cool down at a rate proportional to the temperature difference between the hot object and the environment. Therefore the rate at which the oil cools will be dependent on the temperature of the oil. By moving the oil faster that can only make it hotter. Therefore it can only make to cool down faster.

Or put in more common sense terms, if the oil moves faster, each circuit the oil makes around the system may lose less heat. But it makes more circuits. And this latter effect outweighs the former, resulting in more cooling.

It's the same argument that says no to the often stated view that turning on and off the central heating uses more energy than just leaving it on. Again the heat loss is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the inside and the outside of the house. Therefore the more time you can manage with the house cooler, the less fuel you will use.

Thanks - Rowan

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 17.11. 2017 19:20 »
Please see listing on EBay for pump repair etc. Listed under BSA A10 Oil Pump.
Cannot vouch for or recommend but might be worth a try.

Listing description:-

Starting with a new 'A' or 'B' series oil pump gasket for the price of £1 up to a complete refurbished pump.

This listing is for a new gasket only but please contact me for more information on service exchange and rebuilt pumps, I will strip & check your pump free of charge and only charge you for the return postage if no work is carried out (tracked , insured & signed for postage)

Service exchange and new parts for oil pumps for A10 & A7 twins, Gold Flash, Rocket Gold Star, A50 & A65 BSA C10 to DBD34...

I will refurbish your old pump (depending on condition) or part exchange your pump for a refurbished one depending on stock. I keep a limited stock of refurbished pumps

The pumps are stripped & cleaned, all working surfaces are checked & cleaned & all sealing faces are lightly refaced,  the pump gears checked for wear and replaced if necessary, then reassembled with a new thrust washer & retaining spring clip The steel end plate is either re-machined or replaced with a new one depending on condition  (the scores in the end plate caused by use can cause the pump to lose efficiency and underperform)

'C & B'  pumps are also fitted with a new non return ball & retaining circlip.

Free gasket (and spacer washer for 'A' series pumps) included depending on stock & availability.

The pumps are run for 10 minutes to check for ease of movement and a good flow rate.

Please check my feedback for other satisfied buyers of these pumps.

Please remember that these pumps are all at least 50 years old and the Mazak alloy is prone to 'creep' and cracking so I examine all pumps very carefully before deciding if it's suitable for refurbishment, I do not charge for the examining or quotation but will charge postage if you want it returned untouched.

I have a limited number of Aluminium and Cast Iron pump bodies and will quote for these on request.

For an additional cost I can supply the A10/A7 pumps fitted with a brand new Rocket Gold Star type drive worm which has a slotted drive for a Tachometer, please ask for details.

My criteria is 'would I run this in my own bike?' if the answer is no then I won't sell it...

I send these by tracked signed for & insured delivery.

Any questions please email, or call 07721 022444

1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 17.11. 2017 20:01 »
Does anyone have any experience of replacing an A10 oil pump with the SRM "A7 A10 Oil pump SRM Billet high delivery Improved"? Is this a worthwhile project? Are there any problems in fitting the pump? Are there any cheaper alternatives that I should consider?

Thanks - Rowan

A cheaper alternative is to upgrade to a used A65 pump, the A10 drive end has to swapped onto the A65 pump. The A65 pump has wider gears and gives more flow, same as the SRM one I’ve been (reliably) told. I’ve done this mod.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.11. 2017 20:44 »
Only the 1971/72 Oil in frame pump gears are higher capacity to the A10 - less teeth and wider scavenge gears.

The 1962-1970 gears are same dimensions as the 1956 on A10 gears, some gear part numbers being the same 1956 - 1970.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 17.11. 2017 23:00 »

Bantam John Phelan was doing high capacity new pumps made of steel and about half the price of SRM ones. Me and Dutch bought his pump. Working fine after four years. I don't know if he is still trading.
Possible phone number :01246290021

http://www.sumpmagazine.com/bsamotorcycles/bantam-john.htm

And

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/classic-bike-uk/20160224/281685433907237
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 17.11. 2017 23:09 »
Hi Rowan,
I have fitted at least 4 SRM pumps to different A10 bikes
No problems,
I probably have 25,000 + miles on my own SR,
No wet sumping is a bonus

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 18.11. 2017 06:10 »
I have one in my Super Rocket, they are 'fit and forget'.  *smile*
59 Super Rocket 

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 18.11. 2017 08:19 »
Photo shows the gears used in the late A65, SRM and SDD oil pump. Scavenge gear much wider. All gears have 11 teeth compared with 14 on the 1956 on A10 pump so move more oil.

The SRM pump is a proven product from a well known, reputable and easily cotactable dealer.