Author Topic: Wanted: Petrol tank spacers and rubbers  (Read 1281 times)

Offline MartinK

• Moving Up
Wanted: Petrol tank spacers and rubbers
« on: 19.09. 2017 10:54 »
Hi All. I am after petrol tank spacers and rubbers for a plunger 1953 Gold Flash. No one appears to stock these items. 67-8109 front tank mounting tube. 67-8111 spacer collars. 67-8108 tank rear rubbers. Any help, thanks.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Petrol tank spacers and rubbers
« Reply #1 on: 19.09. 2017 12:14 »
I'm not sure what shape the rubbers are on the plunger but I found making my own "U" shaped rubbers for my swing arm very easy, I just used pieces of old inner tube cut into oblongs and formed around a pipe roughly the same size as the frame tube and glued layers on until the tank was a good fit over them. From memory 6 or maybe 8 layers/laminates. To keep them in place on the frame I used a long cable tie wrapped around right around them and the frame.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline MartinK

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 19.09. 2017 13:20 »
The rubbers are round solid items with hole in the middle for the bolt. The rubbers fit into the tank lugs. Thanks.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.09. 2017 13:44 »

I'm not sure what shape the rubbers are on the plunger but I found making my own "U" shaped rubbers for my swing arm very easy, .......

Kiwi thanks, but Without looking at the parts list, I'm sure they are way different....for the frame inserts, I think I used oil hose or similar over the original collared tubes, but as I have a A7 L/S tank, it just bolts to the frame so can't help with the rear ones, except to suggest doing the same....at least until you find the Rocking-Horse ones

Ok I relented and looked at the parts list so I can gain some credibility, and came up with same as you part numbers;

Front Mount;   67-8108 (Rubber 2-2) /   67-8109 (Tube-2) 'A' Group                 
 Rear Mount ;    67-8111 'Petrol Tank rear support stud distance Collar' (2) A10   

Maybe able to fabricate the front spacers  (67-8109) with washers welded to some tube ?? (at least until you find the Rocking-Horse ones)

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.09. 2017 14:13 »
If you make your own you need to put a steel collar in the middle to allow the through bolts to tighten.

Metalastic bushes may be possible:
https://www.polymax.co.uk/anti-vibration-rubber-mount/rubber-bushes/semi-bonded-bushes

Edit: May need to remove the outer steel from a Metalastic bush to allow the rubber to slide into the holes
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Wanted: Petrol tank spacers and rubbers
« Reply #5 on: 19.09. 2017 20:55 »
Yep, made my own front one. Rubber fuel line just proud of the frame hole, metal tube inside proud to the width of the tank brackets then washers araldited to the metal tube each side. Works good for the last 10 years or so.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline MartinK

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 24.09. 2017 12:08 »
Hi All. Now sorted. Ended up buying bonnet standoffs made from black anodised aluminium for the spacers and bought a couple of rubber insulators for the tank rubbers.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.09. 2017 15:19 »
Did you put tubes through the rubbers so the bolt can be properly tightened?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline MartinK

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 12.10. 2017 15:54 »
Hi Greybeard. I have to drill the rubbers as they are a solid cylinder. They are the correct outer diameter and fit the tank brackets perfectly. I have tried drilling but they are too spongy. I thought of putting them in the freezer to make them easier to drill. Time will tell.
Thanks.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.10. 2017 01:40 »
Hi Greybeard. I have to drill the rubbers as they are a solid cylinder. They are the correct outer diameter and fit the tank brackets perfectly. I have tried drilling but they are too spongy. I thought of putting them in the freezer to make them easier to drill. Time will tell.
Thanks.

If you can get a pilot hole through them...

Find a metal rod the right diameter for the hole you want. Heat it up hot with a torch and push it through the rubber. Depending on the rubber, if might flame up, it might let out a small puff of smoke, or it might feel at first the rod wont go through but suddenly it just slides right in.

Its damn near impossible to "drill" rubber and get a good hole.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 15.10. 2017 01:46 »
Forstner bits drill rubber nicely.
Ordinary steel twist drills do not!

Glen

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.10. 2017 09:13 »
I wonder if rubber hose, such as airline hose might do the job. May need to find or make a suitable metal tube for the centre.

Or as Musky says fuel line.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK