Author Topic: Wheel Rim coloured centre ?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Signboy

• Moving Up
Wheel Rim coloured centre ?
« on: 16.09. 2017 10:05 »
Hi Guys,
Ive got a '53 a7 Star Twin ( its the pretty one with polychromatic green tinware and dark green frame )  the question is.... were the wheel rims centers ever painted and lined ?  pictures of restored bikes are just plain,  which seems a shame
thanks in anticipation
Signboy

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
Re: Wheel Rim coloured centre ?
« Reply #1 on: 16.09. 2017 10:16 »
It's  your bike, if you like the idea of centre painted rims why not? You're not doing anything that's irreversible. And if it is incorrect think how it will wind up the rivet counters. Well done.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
« Reply #2 on: 16.09. 2017 11:31 »
Hi. I think that the later 53/54 Star-Twins always had plain rims from new, the earlier Star-Twins had a silver centre with a red coachline either side to match the tank colouring.
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 22.10. 2017 19:32 »
Being heretical by nature, I like painted (better still powder coated) rims. A relatively cheap way to get around replacing or re-chroming those that are badly rusted. And I  like to upset the rivet counters, but then I only want bikes to ride not to show.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 22.10. 2017 21:04 »
Being heretical by nature, I like painted (better still powder coated) rims. A relatively cheap way to get around replacing or re-chroming those that are badly rusted. And I  like to upset the rivet counters, but then I only want bikes to ride not to show.

I informed about the possibility to get chromed rims powdercoated, but the guy said it was a no go unless all the chrome was first removed which is something that can’t be done by sandblasting.
Removing chrome needs special equipment and gives off very toxic fumes so won’t be cheap.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #5 on: 22.10. 2017 21:44 »
My unmolested '51 Star Twin had plain but rusty rims when I got it, both replaced with stainless ones after an encounter with a particularly vicious sharp-edged pothole.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 22.10. 2017 21:58 »
Actually, getting chrome removed is inexpensive.

Most shops that do your chroming will remove old chrome for little or nothing if your a regular customer.

Even if your not, maybe 50 too 100 bucks for both rims should get them stripped to bare metal.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 22.10. 2017 23:26 »
Actually, getting chrome removed is inexpensive.

Most shops that do your chroming will remove old chrome for little or nothing if your a regular customer.

Even if your not, maybe 50 too 100 bucks for both rims should get them stripped to bare metal.

Lee

It comes down to the size of the shop and weather they reprocess their own baths or not.
If they do then stripping can be a reasonable price, if not it gets real expensive
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 22.10. 2017 23:46 »
Hi Guys,
Ive got a '53 a7 Star Twin ( its the pretty one with polychromatic green tinware and dark green frame )  the question is.... were the wheel rims centers ever painted and lined ?  pictures of restored bikes are just plain,  which seems a shame
thanks in anticipation
Signboy

If you paid 1 & 6 each extra they were .
just like having a maroon, blue or black finish, painted centers on chrome wheels was always an option, right up to the bitter end.
As was pin lining in different colours, double  or triple pin lining.
There were lots of customising options available, some done in shop, some done in factory, but the latter naturally took a long while so most bought what was on the shop floor.
Thus there never was now will there ever be a true "exact true finish " for any model BSA but don't try telling that to the AMCA.
If concurs judges came equipted with both a catalogue and a price list or better still a copy of the despatch records then they would have some credibality but the morons work on nothing other than the image in the catalogue for any particular year and even then they get that wrong.
Another reason why I have a hatred of concours judges with catalogues in their head or hand.
AS previously mentioned , it is your bike, if you like the look of painted rims, then go ahead and paint yours.
When some slime bag comes over and tries to belittle you by telling you in a voice loud enough for 1/2 the state to hear you tell him in a louder voice the bike came with the original dealer receipt which included the extra paid for painted rims, or you wouldn't know this is how you got the bike from your great uncle who bought it new etc etc etc then watch the slime bag slither off to annoy some one else.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #9 on: 23.10. 2017 10:06 »
You have to be a bit careful having rims rechromed. By the time they have rust removed and are sufficiently polished for rechroming, they can be perilously thin.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 23.10. 2017 10:22 »
Just had a pair of Bantam wheels powder coated in a silver that looks very much like chrome don't know how they cleaned then up but cracking job for £60 all in.
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 23.10. 2017 11:09 »
Every rechromer I've ever asked won't rechrome rims as they reckon the polishing mops are destroyed by the spoke holes, but my local powder-coater will happily blast off old chrome and then powder coat.
I had that done recently for a C12 but unless the wheel is broken down to the rim (I did) a powder-coated complete wheel just looks like Mr Bodge is in town, and that's a big no-no for an "expensive" bike like an A ranger.