Author Topic: Hydraulic motorcycle lift  (Read 7981 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Hydraulic motorcycle lift
« Reply #75 on: 21.03. 2024 14:46 »
I have a hydraulic scissor lift, got if from Hein Geriche so that's before 2013 as they went bust then.  Its goes sideways under the centre of the bike so it really only works on bike with double bottom tubes.  Its very handy as the wheels are both off the ground (but check the balance before you take one off) and it folds flat and stands against the wall.  Its also easyish to carry about.  Downside is its really a 2 person job to get the bike off as you need one person holding the bike while the other one pulls the lift out.  Fine if you have a side stand but the bike I'm working on at the moment has nothing.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #76 on: 22.03. 2024 14:00 »
Hi All
A long time ago I built a full size bike bench that has a scissor lift mechanism so it rises vertically. I used a trolley jack as the lifting power.
As the years have gone by getting down to floor level to operate the jack has become more difficult especially since my knee replacement op *sad2*
A few weeks ago I saw an air bag jack on Vevor and thought it might offer a solution
So ordered it.. It fits just right in the trolley jack tracks  *smile* , I now need to get a longer piece of tubing to bring the controls out to a position where easily operated plus easy airline attachment .
I have been away most of the last few weeks so next week I'll get to it and report back

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #77 on: 22.03. 2024 14:17 »
Hi All
A long time ago I built a full size bike bench that has a scissor lift mechanism so it rises vertically. I used a trolley jack as the lifting power.
As the years have gone by getting down to floor level to operate the jack has become more difficult especially since my knee replacement op *sad2*
A few weeks ago I saw an air bag jack on Vevor and thought it might offer a solution
So ordered it.. It fits just right in the trolley jack tracks  *smile* , I now need to get a longer piece of tubing to bring the controls out to a position where easily operated plus easy airline attachment .
I have been away most of the last few weeks so next week I'll get to it and report back

John

dont forget some sort of safety support rail in your build .

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #78 on: 24.03. 2024 00:23 »
I've been reading back through this thread again. (My ATV lift is dodgy even with the stabiliser frame I added...) More than anything else I need a lift which I can store at least one of the bikes on top of and that doesn't increase the footprint too much. I'm very impressed with Roger's wooden box. In the value stakes and for storage ability it is a winner but I want to be able to get the bike on and off by myself so unless I go the full Evel Knievel and ride up the ramp, that one is out.

More and more I am impressed by Kiwi's home spun wind up job (see page 1).  It is brilliant and with a few tweaks could be exceptional!  I think I am decided to build a Kiwi style copy and make a few mods to suit my requirements but fundamentally I've seen nothing else that touches that one for ease of use, simplicity, ease of home build, low load height etc.

Tweaks I'm thinking of currently:

1, Ability to remove or fold the A frame up to vertical when stored
2, Castor wheels in all 4 corners (braked) in contact with the floor when bike is stored (lowered) enabling sideways movement into parking area
(I'm lucky to have a nice smooth, flat and level shed floor)
3, Additional locking/support mechanism on table to allow use at various heights without relying on winch/cable to take the load
4, Rear extension/hinge up ramp to accommodate longer bikes as required
5, Tie down points

Its a bit late but many thanks to Kiwi for showing us his lift  *yeah*
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #79 on: 25.03. 2024 00:55 »
Hi Sean,
I should have added that there are stops that drop into the scissors wheel bottom guides when the bench is up at working height. Then the jack is released so the stops take the pressure

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #80 on: 25.03. 2024 06:16 »
I've been reading back through this thread again. (My ATV lift is dodgy even with the stabiliser frame I added...) More than anything else I need a lift which I can store at least one of the bikes on top of and that doesn't increase the footprint too much. I'm very impressed with Roger's wooden box. In the value stakes and for storage ability it is a winner but I want to be able to get the bike on and off by myself so unless I go the full Evel Knievel and ride up the ramp, that one is out.

More and more I am impressed by Kiwi's home spun wind up job (see page 1).  It is brilliant and with a few tweaks could be exceptional!  I think I am decided to build a Kiwi style copy and make a few mods to suit my requirements but fundamentally I've seen nothing else that touches that one for ease of use, simplicity, ease of home build, low load height etc.

Tweaks I'm thinking of currently:

1, Ability to remove or fold the A frame up to vertical when stored
2, Castor wheels in all 4 corners (braked) in contact with the floor when bike is stored (lowered) enabling sideways movement into parking area
(I'm lucky to have a nice smooth, flat and level shed floor)
3, Additional locking/support mechanism on table to allow use at various heights without relying on winch/cable to take the load
4, Rear extension/hinge up ramp to accommodate longer bikes as required
5, Tie down points

Its a bit late but many thanks to Kiwi for showing us his lift  *yeah*

I made one of Kiwi's design lift tables some years ago and are very happy with it. (thanks Kiwi) it is real easy to get the bike on the table if you need to use it to park your bike to save space. I made mine so as I could take the winch off out of the road, also made it so as I could take the back wheel out, that has come in real handy over the years. see picks.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #81 on: 25.03. 2024 22:31 »
That's great Peter, You seem to have added/ changed most things I was thinking about, and more besides, nice job. *work*

I see your one doesn't go over centre and trails a strut to drop back and hold the table up, which means you can remove the winch etc. for easy access.
Another advantage of the absence of hydraulics/ jacks et al. apart from it going almost completely flat to the floor when down, you have a bottom shelf for tools/ parts when you're working. This is defo my next project now!

Love the rear wheel cut out and the wooden brake blocks by the way! *yeah*
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum