Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 594 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Introduction
« on: 23.06. 2017 09:22 »
Hopefully the right place.
As per the home page instructions, here is my intro.
I have surfed here for various tech topics and infor for several years and now signed up to share some info and get some assistance on several obscure topics and tech needs.

Im in my 50s, live in Oregon USA, and have a wide collection of old machinery and rusty old junk.
Have a background in Military and Aerospace but enjoy vintage vehicles of all sorts. At one point got so many requests for work on others projects I opened a shop for many years and while was never any good at business side of things, did enjoy the challenges (Mostly. The vehicles and old iron yes, the people not so much).  So I always was much more successful at revenue generation in other endeavors than old vehicles.  (I tend to spend any money on MORE vehicles and parts).
In the course of which I accumulated an obscene amount of projects I was going to get to "Someday". At one point I went back to day job with tangible rewards such as retirement and health care and then had some health issues.  Now while recovering I am dusting off my projects and downsizing the sheer volume while also prioritizing what I realistically might be able to actually work on and move fwd with.  Hopefully I still have a few more years ahead of me but had to face reality in I am not immortal after all.
So, Most of my motorcycles are vintage British, But I also have a few Sportsters, a bunch of Buells, 2 Ducatis, a Guzzi and a few Asian bikes.  My oldest bikes is a 1932 BSA Blue Star and my newest British bike is a 1979 Triumph T140 cafe racer.  While I have a number of 1960s bikes, Some of my favorites are 1940s and 1950s and especially the rigid frame stuff and seem to gravitate to the several 1947.48 a 1950 and 52 bikes as that style to me is "Sex on wheels".
So, I registered here finally to get tech assistance on a couple A10s and possible what might be an A7.  One of which is a mystery frame/bike I am looking for assistance to ID.
Thats about it.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 23.06. 2017 09:57 »

howdy Sluggo- for a bit, I thought you may be someone I used t know (but only remember the name)..that's hectic stuff
(".....vintage British, But I also have a few Sportsters, a bunch of Buells, 2 Ducatis, a Guzzi and a few Asian bikes.  My oldest bikes is a 1932 BSA Blue Star and my newest British bike is a 1979 Triumph T140 cafe racer.....")
, but this bit;

.....to get tech assistance on a couple A10s and possible what might be an A7.  One of which is a mystery frame/bike I am looking for assistance to ID......

So, don't worry about the Frame number, they are all 'A7......' until late '60's. The engine # tells most of it, so spit out the first part of that and you'll have some clues ?? No need for the last few digits (for your own security).

..Or you can determine the stroke by a measuring stick down the plug-hole ??

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23.06. 2017 10:28 »
Well I am just getting started here annoying everyone... *smile*.  I will post some pix and details here toot sweet.  More soon as well.  After a LONG hiatus of tip toeing around this junk I am making real strides on some of this stuff but still a long way to go to inventory and sort some of this stuff which has not seen the light of day for over 15 years.
We got 2 40 foot steel shipping containers and in the process of remodeling the interiors (insulation LED lighting, obligatory checkerboard floors, and security systems as well as commercial pallet racks and shelving)
If you care to come visit, have a serious OCD complex as well as refined tastes for caffeine and beer I can amply reward you with beverages for help sorting and cataloging.

I will post up about the Mystery bike-frame shortly (Did not come with a motor) but I have multiple preunit BSA twins to discuss,, I have learned however it is best not to count or number your vehicles in your collection as it distresses the spouse.  I long ago stopped counting when we got into 3 digits. Instead its best to name them,, IE:Scarlet spit, Shincracker, Old Blue, Knobby, 'Ol grey mare, Black Betty, etc etc...
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.06. 2017 10:47 »
Welcome. Love your avatar!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 23.06. 2017 11:03 »
Thanks!  I wanted to switch some things up, I used to go by "The internet annoyance" and adopted that over a dispute many years ago.  I was called that by a local vintage club member and it was not meant in a nice way. I took ownership of it and this seemed to have the effect of making the 2 guys involved even more ticked off. They tried to have me kicked out of the club, were told they were being juvenile and since I had not paid dues that year could NOT be kicked out of the club anyway. Things quieted down over time and we all grew up a bit, and got over the whole initial issue which was not entirely accurate to begin with.
As one friend is fond of saying "Whatever you heard is probably far more entertaining than what actually happened".
I have as of last year mended fences, and we are on good terms again and I decided to retire that moniker.
Many years ago, I served in the military and travelled to exotic lands, met interesting people and did at times try to blow them up.  I also served in a UN peace keeping mission in the middle east.  As I mentioned, I have a background in Aerospace. Both tactical combat aircraft
AFSC #43151, FAA licensed A&P as well as certified to teach, and multiple NDT certs in manufacturing and inspection.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.06. 2017 12:28 »
Sounds like you are going to be a great asset to this forum
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 23.06. 2017 12:31 »
Thanks for the intro post, welcome aboard!

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 23.06. 2017 16:03 »
 *welcome* Holy cow, Sluggo! What with a giant collection of bikes we love, technical chops to the extreme and able to weave a good story, we are indeed looking forward to the pics and the progress.

As for visiting, you may be giving me an excuse to visit my sister in Eugene. About where are you in OR?

Richard L.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 23.06. 2017 19:06 »
haha ! Small world eh?  The gearhead ranch is in the foothills outside Portland Oregon..(Wonderful country roads BTW) Southeast of the big city not far from Oregon city.  But,, We have a small vacation place-Cabin in the hills outside Eugene/Springfield as well.  Because of my health issues and re-evaluating lifes priorities we spend a lot of time there.  Its peaceful, generally quiet and have been spending time exploring some of the wilderness there both on 2 wheels and off. The Mackenzie river basin and gorge is pretty incredible coupled with a lot of lakes hot springs and some unusual people.  My super asset dynamic balancing guy lives near there as well.  E.V. Lewis Dynamic balancing.  He does airplane propellers (Critical they are in good nick)  and industrial applications for his bread & butter, but he loves vintage motorcycles and is a number of engine builders go-to guy.  He can make a old knuckle or pan motor run so smooth you would think its a BMW.  Nortons are so bad for rocking couple I will turn away a Norton rebuild if I cant balance it, Triumphs always benefit, but you can squeak by generally without a balance,, Only did 2 BSAs dynamically including one that was a race engine project/experiment but it turned out amazing. (I had tutelage from Capt. Dirt, famed tuner and racer).  At this point,, on any engine in my keeper pile, Its gonna get balanced.

I have a LOT of friends from overseas and out of the area, so frequently play host-tour guide or at least advisor on area attractions.  We have some fantastic riding areas and one of my Canadian friends has been suggesting for some time to leave one of his bikes here and just come down frequently during summers.  My buddy from Scotland will be here in August,, he has been here before. (He has a number of bikes he purchased stashed here and was the buyer for the RGS Scrambler that was on FeeBay recently).  These overseas guys i dont tell them where ALL the good stuff is,, but these friendships work both ways.  I have my 32 BSA sitting over in Blighty at his place at the moment and need to arrange shipping.

Ill be visiting India in November,, a long delayed trip, but I have a close friend who is there and also in the manufacturing business, also star of a cool Motorcycle movie you should watch if you have not seen it.  "One Crazy Ride". (Buy it, dont download for free, bad kharma).  He wants to expand his BSA offerings so there is that as well,, but very nice guy.  He has visited me multiple times here and we premiered his movie at our local vintage car & Motorcycle museum where I volunteer.  It was  a big hit. We served Indian food as well and had a great time. (People were soaking up the juices in the serving bowls and last remnants, ravenous dogs!)

Anyrate,,  Keep in mind in Oregon, We have more breweries than any other state (900 in the PNW) and is known as Beervana,  We also have more strip clubs in Portland than any other city in the US which was a huge hit when I hosted some of the Australians and Kiwis.
When Steve brought his 22 year old son over from the UK I adopted his accent and said
"Aye Laddie,, Can ye really deny your sons true happiness?" He agreed and purchased a lap dance for his son.
Simon from Christchurch said his wife gave him permission to do as he pleased as long as it did not involve Flashing lights from Police or medical.  As he said.. "I am highly paid and on vacation"  I got hugs and thanks from all the Dancers for bringing him.