Author Topic: RGS Spitfire Scrambler rolling chassis on EBay USA  (Read 1623 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
If anyone's interested, there's a '62 RGS scrambler on EBay USA. rolling chassis and transmission only. Current bid @2625 and has either made reserve or doesn't have one.    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-BSA-Rocket-Goldstar-Rolling-Chassis-with-title-/263017570126?hash=item3d3d119f4e:g:EjcAAOSwlY1ZMfXb&vxp=mtr

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: RGS Spitfire Scrambler rolling chassis on EBay USA
« Reply #1 on: 08.06. 2017 00:12 »
I'm  wondering if that bike was not chopped at one time.

I'm looking at the poor welding around the tank mount, and the welding around the neck.

Kind of looks like someone was trying to put it back and found out it's much easier to chop than un-chop.

The red ring on rims and ape hangers....
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23.06. 2017 09:54 »
Hello, I am kinda involved in that debacle.  It will be in my driveway here at the gearhead ranch sometime tomorrow afternoon..  I Did not buy it but storing it for a friend in the UK who did. He will be here in August allegedly and hopefully with several bottles of high quality scotch whiskey from Aberdeenshire as he kind of owes me.

I know the seller, or flipper as it might seem as well. Somewhat annoyed at the whole thing. I had seen him on the day after he listed it at our local Norton wankers club meeting. He made no mention of it, and had previously cryptically mentioned he "Had an opportunity to get a late model A10 frame" and did I have a motor or parts?  Well of course I do/did. And me being me loaded him up on a ton of tech, research and materials. Last I heard he said
"You gave me a lot to think about" 
I came home from the meeting, turned on the computer and trolled FeeBay and about fell out of my chair. -GONE-  *eek* was the chance to make a deal or work something out.  Now it was out there for God, Val Page and everybody to see.  (Insert sounds of head banging on desk, filter out expletives).
I *THINK* I also know its prior history as well.  Many years ago a friend used to own a small parts business and wrecking yard called "Road Rash cycle" and I did some research for him and ID'd to the best of my knowledge what a few basket case A10s were.  Some years later I saw them on Craigslist (CL) and they were kind of expensive and some sort of weird conditions of sale that deterred people for some time.  I was in the midst of other issues and hindsight being 20/20 think I missed a 2nd opportunity.  I will find out one way or another soon enough...
But, my friend in the UK has a 1963 motor for it and other bits.  If for some reason people want close up pix or details it will be sitting here for a few months. 
Maybe for fun, and to motivate my friend to actually show up and collect all the bikes I have been storing for him I will post it up for sale again in a spoof CL ad with a Triumph motor in it and declare I improved it..or announce plans to build a chopper.  (He was supposed to be here last year,,, some silly business about Brexit, employment issues and exchange rates were his excuses, so, gotta keep up the pressure to make sure he shows up. I could use the storage space BACK...)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 29.06. 2017 22:00 »
I have the bike here, and its owned by a friend over in Scotland who purchased it.  He will be here in August to collect it and several other bikes I am storing for him.  (I am being comp'ed with some of Scotlands Holy water, Glen Garoch? from Aberdeenshire)

If for some reason anyone needs any tech details and photos of this bike let me know.  I firmly believe its a very rare scrambler RGS model.  The chopper ape hanger handle bars have been removed (you can rest easier now) and swapped with some Western US style buckhorns I had laying about.  I have an old Triumph chopper project I am putting up for sale and the Ape Hangers have been repurposed onto that.

The vehicle title is a Montana title and there is some old faded US Airforce military stickers on it including vehicle passes for base entry and I believe the bike was a US servicemans bike there. But thats as far as I got researching it. WIll be interesting what the BSAOC-VMCC or Goldstar Owners club have on file for dispatch records and where it was sold or shipped too.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.06. 2017 01:39 »
 Sluggo,

Is the frame welded up around  the neck or was it just the pictures?

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.06. 2017 03:20 »
At that price, I assume about 100 bottles of single malt are thrown in.  *smile*

Richard L.

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 30.06. 2017 07:55 »
There were only 266 RGS Spitfire Scramblers made. With the original engine I guess the price will reach around 20 tousand Dollars and more.

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 11.07. 2017 23:13 »
Here are some detail pix, I am not going to bother obscuring the number as its already all over the internet and has been already verified.  Plus there IS a title as well, so doubt its worth anyone replicating this frame number.

As per request, I am not seeing anything untoward regarding the neck and welding, but if I am missing something please let me know. Hopefully the picture answers any questions. NOTE the SAC squadron sticker, theres another on the lower fork leg slider for gate pass. I had these on my vehicles when I was active duty.  You were SUPPOSED to scrape them off, put the scrapings in a envelope and return to security Police when selling a vehicle.  This one is scratched up but still plainly visible.

I am also including a pix of the front lugs many people obsess over, plus the missing rear loops that is tell tale for a scrambler,I dont feel anything there so dont believe any were ever attched, and cant find any grinding, lumps or other evidence any rear loops were ever there. but if you look there IS a bit of weld here in the pix and not sure what it might have been. Nothing like it on the other side so, further research needed.
Also heres one of the underside bash plate.  I think I will remove it and take more pictures as well as sketch a print for dimensions as that might be handy to have.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 12.07. 2017 01:36 »
Back to the price, I think I need a pill to understand it. Can you, or someone, make sense of it or put it in a light that explains it?

Richard L.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 12.07. 2017 02:48 »
Me or the group consensus???   *dunno*

I would have been very interested and would have unloaded any number of treasures to buy it, But once it went up on FeeBay I was outspent and outclassed within short order.  I thought $2500  *red* *red* (cough Cough) would been fair market value, although I am rather cash poor as of late and that would have been a lot of money for me to spend on a roller minus the important bits.

I can tell, via the seller who is in our local Norton wankers club, that he was getting a virtual deluge of emails and contacts, and MOST of them were from the UK.  (Mike, the seller is ALSO from the UK and region of swirled/creamed peas).  So evidently, there is/wa no lack of interest.
Maybe someday I will hear the whole story, but there was a LOT of "Buy it NOW & cancel the auction!" type of messages.   It IS a very rare bike, and kudos the seller for doing a good job as there was nothing left to doubt or verify.  He was honest in that he DOES have a lot of other projects and other British machines (Vincent, Triumph, Norton etc) so I am sure the influx of $$$ is quite welcome.

My friend who bought it, is NOT a dealer, just has a crappy job as an engineer in the Oil business in a very inhospitable part of Scotland.  But he does buy and sell a lot as a method to his madness and retain his last shreds of sanity.  He DOES own a 1963 motor, might be a RGS motor too by the sounds of it, and some other correct bits.  So, despite being not factory matching, It IS a blue chip investment bike.  I am not going to speculate as to value were he to decide to sell it, but I will guess it would command a fair bit of sterling, Pounds or Rubles.

Lets put it in another light.  Another list member is asking $35,000 for a SuperFlash.  Is that more or less valuable?  (No disrespect to the Superflash,, simply horses for courses).

I have some hybrid AMC-Norton stuff.  I traded a Norton P11 basket case to the same guy in Scotland for a 1932 BSA Blue star.  To me,, I would rather have the Bluestar so was a No-brainer.  But realistically Norton P11s are far more rare and pure factory racer, than a comparable TT or T120C Triumph. ( I have a fair number of them as well needing resto) but few people value them as high for resale if high end auction figures are any indication.  Few people even know what they are.  But I guess the same can be said for a RGS, scrambler or clubmans style.  Most people have no idea what they are.

But gone are the days (For the most part) where such bikes would trade at $300 for a basket case.  I find it interesting many of the old timers who still feel thats all many of these bikes are worth. (*Unless of course you wish to purchase something from them!).

I have many examples but one that sums it up as I helped some years back a helped a friend sell his BSA B50.  Funny market on the Unit singles as they shoot up rather high sometimes and then go back down again.  But the B50 is considered the best of the lot for unit singles by most acounts.  Some guys from Finland (of all places) bought the bike from me online for a fair chunk of $$$$.  We delivered it up to Seattle for them and was shipped to Europe.  One of my neighbors "Crazy George" is an old racer and campaigned all over the western US back in the day.  George doesnt own a computer or cell phone and I think he believes Ronald Reagan is still president.  George stopped by and was interested in the BSA.. Threw a fit when he heard what we were asking for it.  Funny thing was he thought WE were the crazy ones.  As soon as I posted it online it sold in less than 48 hrs.   

So, thats my take on it... I dont pretend to have all the answers on this.  One thing is for certain,, its not going to end up as a chopper!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 12.07. 2017 11:46 »
Sluggo,

Thanks for the stories. Not sure I'm completely brought along, but it reminds me of the thought that comes to mind when seeing a particularly awkward appearing couple walking along happy as clams. "There's someone for everyone." I'm thinking I shouldn't be the one providing official values for our bikes to insurance companies.

Richard L.

Offline Jim

• Moving Up
Wimbledon, England.
BSA A10 x2
BSA B44 x2
BSA B40
BSA A65
TriBSA 500
Buell XB12R

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 17.07. 2017 23:51 »
hi guys, nice restoration for someone, would need a larger tank in my opinion but looks all there, if that was the finishing price I would say that it would be a good deal, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 18.07. 2017 06:23 »
Currently at $8200 and change, While a RGS on any day is a good one,,I like the clubmans goldie style best, Note this one has the Alloy rims, the 190mm brake and presumable the finned alloy rear brake.  Nice core for a resto and most of the critical bits are there!

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 18.07. 2017 09:04 »
hi guys, yes sluggo, (I like the clubman's Goldie style best) me too second only to the Triton, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand