Author Topic: Help to Identify Bike - Brighton Sea Front - Madeira Drive  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
The carby bowl appears to be sitting towards the front of the engine. There is no way that bike was a runner at the time of the photo, look at the throttle cable.

The throttle cable may have had the section in front of the splitter replaced with a full length single carb cable.

Offline knoxie

• Active
Thanks for the replies  *smile*

I can can confirm that the bike was a runner and on that day my dad had ridden from Stoke on Trent down to Brighton for the day to meet his mum his sister and his brother, it was his brother that took the picture he is the only one still alive sadly, he then went on to do a tour of the south coast for a few days before returning home.

Now where to find one? :-) I may take a visit to the National Motorbike Museum in Birmingham its only a short drive from me here in Banbury, I have been going there for years to the now closed computer fairs and never stepped foot in the museum, time to change that.

Thanks again  *smiley4*

Offline knoxie

• Active
For those that are interested in the location of the photograph it was taken here, its hardly changed really just a little more overgrown and the road is a little narrower, I would say the posts in this shot are where my dad would have been.

https://www.google.de/maps/@50.814537,-0.1108227,3a,75y,355.98h,86.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8b2akjiW4Vhr5bhltr8l5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

I was spurred on to find out more about my dads bike by watching this amazing documentary the other night here in the UK on BBC4, well worth a watch if you havent seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNNUYHhoDiU&t=68s

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
 I think maybe when people said ".... and have instantly said it's a BSA Goldstar twin, ....", they probably meant 'Rocket Gold Star', the 'twin version' of a Goldie  *dunno2* but hadn't quite yet been contrived.

Good  luck with your quest, and when it comes to fruition, you'll have an awesome rider  *smile* *smile*

I was curious about the knobs on the lever ends, didn't think they were around then (but neither was I- in the bike world)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I'd very much like to see a picture of you on your future BSA in the same position.  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
For those that are interested in the location of the photograph it was taken here, its hardly changed really just a little more overgrown and the road is a little narrower, I would say the posts in this shot are where my dad would have been.

Knoxie,

Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the history of your dad's photo and the trek he was on at the time. The research is something I would have done if in your shoes. In fact, last night, before you posted the current picture from Madeira Drive, I was checking out Google Earth and guessed I had found the same location. For me, from here, it amounts to a travelogue.

Very much looking forward to when you tell us you've made the leap into British vintage, better yet, A7/A10 vintage.

Richard L

Offline knoxie

• Active
Thanks Richard

I love looking at old photos and videos and seeing how places have changed, I am a sucker for those youtubers who go back to old movie locations and such like, In this instance I had guessed before I was told by my uncle that it was Brighton as I had been there before, I used to have similar hair to my dad and looked a little similar however at the ripe old age of 46 im not so close these days ha ha however my Nephew is the spitting image of my Dad at a young age and I would love to get him down there to recreate this much loved photo of my Dad.

My mum has asked me to thank all of you on here for the information about the bike, she couldn't stop smiling, its really nice when information you think is lost with your loved one resurfaces from other people, I had no real clue what the bike was other than it was likely an A7 or A10, we lost our dad well before he should have gone, hold on to your loved ones, thanks so much everyone on here x

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Living in Banbury is a good start for BSAs. Wasn't it there that recently deceased Eddie Dow had his business?

Although, thinking a bit more there must have been a time when anywhere was good for BSAs, given how many were turned out.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline knoxie

• Active
Hi Terry

Yes Eddie Dow has recently passed and he did have his business here, we also have the Banbury Run held every year as you might know and there is a large auto jumble there every year crammed with bike parts and bikes for sale, I have been going to it since the mid eighties, I love those old bikes and I always stand on the Edge Hill slope as some of these old bikes try to get up it, its great fun to watch.

Thanks to this forum I now have all the info I need  *smile*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

Thanks to this forum I now have all the info I need  *smile* 

Oh no you don't...And now your life will never be the same.  *smile* *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia