Author Topic: to recommission not restore  (Read 9208 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: to recommission not restore
« Reply #75 on: 22.12. 2021 02:03 »
Finally have some decent mufflers, if potentially a bit restrictive. still awaiting some case fettling to get the cases to match up nicely. Once I can get the cases fitting up nicely I should make some proper progress, intention is to get this up the priority list. Was crook earlier in the year for a while but finally getting my mojo back. 
all the major machining and repairs done. mainly a matter of assembly. Clearing out some flotsam and jetsom projects should help me focus. Plan will be to have all three preunit twins going in 2022
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #76 on: 09.02. 2022 02:55 »
A bit of an update on the cases and perhaps how slowly a penny can drop: when I got this engine I assumed it was all unmolested/ worn out /std.  however while all the sizes were in fact std and worn out, the engine didnt come apart nicely which niggled. likewise I was surprised to see a transitional crank which I put down to my lack of clarity when these were actually released (I always assumed they came out in 56/57 as a response to crank breakages in the RR models) ... anyway some of the studs weren't straight and having had all the usual reconditioning done I found the cases didnt really want to align nicely. much time passed. and the dowels in the cases have now been realigned so the crank and cam are turning freely when mock assembled and the cases close nicely. Something I'd not noticed before was a repair done to the engine case that clearly indicates the motor has had a bottom end issue and hence the crank change and hence had been rebuilt other than by the race shop at BSA (who hand built all the early road rockets and dyno'd each one like a goldie), no doubt work done by the US dealer or local shop.
My engineer is finishing off the case alignment work redressing the top and bottom case joins so the barrel doesnt twist the cases. Hope to be back assembling it soon.
photo of the historic case repair  *shh*, why didnt that register!

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #77 on: 26.04. 2022 21:36 »
I wasnt happy with the alloy rods, but did have a set of new map rods (intended for another engine) so bit the bullet and had it rebalanced to 60% for those and now have the bottom end back together. What with the case alignment issue this has fought me, but it is lovely and free turning. So finally starting to make some real progress after many years. Just waiting on some parts like an alloy sump plate and having the gudgeons eased and the bottom end can go back in the bike and the top end assembly can commence.
Something that is still hanging over me is control cables. Having high export bars all the commonly available cables are too short. torn between fitting domestic bars and sticking with the US bars both for originality and as a point of difference to my other bikes. (my ZB33 has the lower domestic bars and the vincent has flats and my track solo clip ons). I've messengered JJ cables to see if they can help. I really need to start from scratch. Am really looking forward to having this going and this year is definitely on course for, hopefully by september for the spring.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #78 on: 27.07. 2022 03:47 »
the engine is largely assembled, timing cases to go on and timing and tappets... but is in and turn freely.

Interestingly on the Western cables front while my 54 twins parts list is useless and doesnt end mention the road rocket, I stumbled across the single cylinder parts list 49  to '53 includes the swing arm goldstar and has a western bars supplement covering the taillight extension unique to US models. The western goldie clutch cable is also common to the plunger superflash.

Lots of loose ends, I've vented over muffler issues elsewhere in the forum.
electrics to connect, waiting for a clutch cable, my wifes overseas for 3 weeks so hope to get some quality time in the garage.
New Zealand

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #79 on: 27.07. 2022 07:06 »
tim - there's some short and long cable part numbers here for the 53 superflash tho doesn't specifically mention the western bars:
https://bsa-info.nz/service-sheets/?f=17I0gDRb1t5swG2uU6PDEvk3PX5rU9J4A

HTH
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #80 on: 27.07. 2022 07:31 »
"...........Something that is still hanging over me is control cables. Having high export bars all the commonly available cables are too short. torn between fitting domestic bars and sticking with the US bars both for originality and as a point of difference to my other bikes. (my ZB33 has the lower domestic bars and the vincent has flats and my track solo clip ons). I've messengered JJ cables to see if they can help. I really need to start from scratch.......
http://www.melbarcables.co.nz/ run by a biker mate of mine, Graham, you can just send him a cable and say you want one the same but 4” longer or whatever. He will re-use fittings if you like.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #81 on: 28.07. 2022 02:31 »
tim - there's some short and long cable part numbers here for the 53 superflash tho doesn't specifically mention the western bars:
https://bsa-info.nz/service-sheets/?f=17I0gDRb1t5swG2uU6PDEvk3PX5rU9J4A

HTH

Here's the swing arm reference sheets for a 53 goldie with western bars
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #82 on: 22.08. 2022 06:57 »
I'm making reasonable progress with whats hopefully final assembly. But realized some odds and sods are missing. One in particular is the carb drip tray. was pondering ordering one but instead had a look through roy bacons twin resto book that includes 3 road rocket pics (54/55/57) none of which have a drip tray! whereas all the other swing arm preunit twins have one. Presumably this is because the 10TT float is carried well to the timing side and even the carb feed in rear of the mag so deemed unnecessary. Unless all roys samples have had them removed...
The attached pic makes the paint look much better than it is.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #83 on: 26.04. 2023 04:56 »
On Monday I finally got around to a point I could kick the old girl over and she wanted to start on the 2nd priming kick. After a few close but not quite moments she decided it was time to run... the first time in 60 years.
Sounded nice and oil pressure sitting around 70lbs cold.

carb was dripping slowly (the original 10TT9) might need to lap the needle and without an idle screw needed keeping running.
Did manage a restart after a quick carb clean although fault wasnt solved and starting was hit and miss and compression was high. Not easy to kick over (on 9:1 pistons)

The dip switch strap is broken and needs attention but quietly pleased albeit has taken years too long.

New Zealand

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #84 on: 26.04. 2023 08:13 »
Well done, I remember you buying this and shipping it from the usa to nz years ago cos you liked the fact it was original and an early example  (an auction with plenty of other bids?).

I am visiting the UK (poulner/ringwood) at the moment, there is a bloke with a goldie up the road…the only other bsa’s I have seen were new goldies in a showroom.

I have not yet ordered any bsa parts to take back home in the luggage…..but I will  *smile*
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #85 on: 27.04. 2023 00:02 »
Am also a little distracted as off to the UK in late May as well, including  six days on the IOM for the TT to watch the sidecar races and some solos. Have a hire booked for a modern to get me around the island. Havent visited IOM for over 30 years! was there when the Norton Rotary JPS bikes won which was very special.
So may not get the BSA vinned before heading off, but it's now higher in the queue. Don't have any specific shopping items on the list. 
New Zealand

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #86 on: 27.04. 2023 11:36 »
well RR i am very pleased it's not overly shiny and back together after all those years *good3*

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #87 on: 05.05. 2023 03:40 »
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UtXBiF4s_4E
A newly made exhaust system has just been sent to Gisborne for chroming today, the existing headers are original but have moths and the silencers fitted had the brackets in the wrong places so were modified and have baffles ...
So a nice new set of bespoke copies will fit it well and breath a bit better. May keep the restrictive silencers presently fitted for vinning and 6 monthly warrants of fitness if the new pipes are a bit loud.
New Zealand

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #88 on: 05.05. 2023 03:48 »
nice one Tim! - next: I WANNA SEE A ROAD TEST VID!!!
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline KiwiGF

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #89 on: 05.05. 2023 08:53 »
Am also a little distracted as off to the UK in late May as well, including  six days on the IOM for the TT to watch the sidecar races and some solos. Have a hire booked for a modern to get me around the island. Havent visited IOM for over 30 years! was there when the Norton Rotary JPS bikes won which was very special.
So may not get the BSA vinned before heading off, but it's now higher in the queue. Don't have any specific shopping items on the list.

Off topic but here is a pic I took a couple of days ago at the Fish Inn Ringwood…..a “bike night”

Plus another, of an A10, maybe of a forum member?
New Zealand