Author Topic: New to forum, UK A7 to be restored  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Mark_789

• Active
New to forum, UK A7 to be restored
« on: 25.11. 2016 17:49 »
Hi all,

Thanks for adding me to the forum, at first glance it looks full of info I need.

Approx. 35 years ago I built a Triumph twin T100 from a box (with a lot of help from a good friend), then let it go, then regretted it. Since then I've been aimlessly wondering around on various bikes. Thinking I was missing something in life I've got hold of another brit twin, a '53 A7 plunger. I'm in the early stages of a restoration, i.e. standing looking at it and deciding whether to regret buying it.

At first glance it has most of the original paint and parts held together by many bodges. It's going to need a complete strip down and rebuild, no problem as I was looking for a project. I'm expecting it to take 3 years and too much money. Looking at the examples on this forum and elsewhere they can look great when finished.

I'm going to rummage around this forum looking for tech advice etc, any initial pointers much appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: New to forum, UK A7 to be restored
« Reply #1 on: 25.11. 2016 19:26 »
G'day Mark,  *welcome*.
Bookmark this date and see if we can help make it any quicker than 3 years. 1st put a heater in the shed (I've been told it gets cold up there) and a coffee maker/beer fridge. Make good use of the search button, there's a wealth of info in past posts and literature. Take lots of photos along the way. And remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to help.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.11. 2016 19:37 »
 *wave*

I strongly recommend not stripping the bike down until you are really ready to continue. If in five or maybe thirty years time you are looking at a box of old motorcycle bits with maybe some missing the job will be much harder.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Mark_789

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 25.11. 2016 21:55 »
Thanks guys,  kettle and a heater are definately needed. I've started on the photos, guess I should post a few. I'm going to spend some time reading up and planning first, there seem to be quite a few mods available these days. So the aim is less than three years, my son says six, hmmm :)

Offline Bedfordbeeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 26.11. 2016 07:21 »
Welcome Mark, I think 3 years is a reasonable timescale without killing yourself.  I've never bought a finished/complete bike.  Always knackered, with missing parts, and usually boxed.  I feel this gives you more freedom, and definitely more gratification seeing it come together.

Very best of luck with the new project, and good to have someone local with the same machine as me  *beer*

Offline Bedfordbeeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 26.11. 2016 07:32 »
Also mark, as you're local I don't know how you're fixed for tools, but I've got some machining capability in my garage if you need help with any small jobs.

The mancave:

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 26.11. 2016 07:45 »
Welcome aboard Mark.
Hi all,

. I'm in the early stages of a restoration, i.e. standing looking at it and deciding whether to regret buying it.

Cheers
Mark

Welcome aboard from down under Mark.  Don't regret buying it, even when they say "you paid how much for that pile of junk!"  Sounds like you have it all planned out? If i may offer some advice, buy a cheap lathe and a bike lift. Don't put a price or time limit on the resto, but do something (no matter how small) on it each day. I started and RODE my '59 Super Rocket after 54 weeks of persistance. Cheers Tomcat
59 Super Rocket 

Offline bsady

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 26.11. 2016 07:53 »
Welcome aboard Mark.
I too started my A7 last week.
I'll watch your posts you will possibly ask the same questions as I want to ask.
Where are you? I'm in Peterborough
Ady

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.11. 2016 08:48 »
...but I've got some machining capability in my garage if you need help with any small jobs.
*dribble*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsady

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 26.11. 2016 08:59 »
I'm an electrician, happy to help where I can

Offline Bedfordbeeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 26.11. 2016 09:15 »
I could have done with your help a couple of years ago Andy, wiring single to 3 phase with inverters was an eye opener and gave me savagely sore fingers with all the terminal glands etc  *pull hair out* *pull hair out*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 26.11. 2016 09:59 »
 *welcome* to Plungerworld
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Mark_789

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 26.11. 2016 10:26 »
Great man cave BedfordGeeza, I can but dream. Just one concern, I didn't see a kettle.

Hi Bsady, I'm about 50 minutes away, south of Bedford. That's not at A7 speed though, probably add a few minutes. I've seen wiring harnesses for £35, which has to be the easy option but I'v got much to learn about 1950's electronics.

I've attached a photo, not sure if that will show ... let's see.....

nope... too big .... watch this space :)

Offline Bedfordbeeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 26.11. 2016 10:54 »
haha, no kettle but a fully stocked beer fridge in close proximity!!!! *smile* *smile*

I make my own looms from parts purchased from vehicle wiring products, a great old school company, they will send you a catalogue on request.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #14 on: 26.11. 2016 12:21 »
Thanks for the intro post. Welcome !

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"