Author Topic: Hello from new A10 owner from Exeter, Devon, UK  (Read 1747 times)

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Hello there from a grey Devon! In a burst of nostalgia I bought a 1955 A10 Golden Flash yesterday and am trying to be calm whilst awaiting its delivery next week.

I am really pleased to have found this forum. It looks nice and busy - always a good sign  ;)

Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Hello from new A10 owner from Exeter, Devon, UK
« Reply #1 on: 14.10. 2016 11:42 »
"In a burst of nostalgia"
Excellent.

Bike looking very good. Welcome aboard!

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 14.10. 2016 14:58 »
Welcome.
Looks a nice original example, sure the skip is not necessary accessory.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.10. 2016 15:06 »
Hi Brian,  *good3*
Will you give us a quick bio and also we love pictures.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 14.10. 2016 15:22 »
Hi Brian,
also welcome from Germany.
Best choise you can get *good3*

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.10. 2016 15:43 »
Welcome.
Looks a nice original example, sure the skip is not necessary accessory.

Brian,

Welcome to the forum. That is a very nice example and I am sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear how the first ride goes and to see more pictures. Following on with what Greybeard said, we are always interested/amused to hear how people come to decide on a BSA A7 or A10.

Billy (or anyone),

What-the-heck is a "skip"?

Richard L.   

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 14.10. 2016 15:46 »
I was born and bred in Devon. Apart from a few years over the border in Cornshire, I have lived in Devon all my life.

I started my two-wheeled adventure with field bikes pre-16 yrs old, anything that the local motorbike scrappy Francis Cann (Tedburn St Mary) would let me have for about a £5 that would run - usually Villiers-engined things that you could repair head gaskets with cardboard and the rest with baler twine, wire and sticky tape.

Sadly, I went in a wrong direction then with a selection of Lambrettas - boring them out, porting them, fitting Ancilotti silencers, Amal carbs, the lot - even built a "kneeler" with a mate with clip-ons on the front fork legs. Anyone that knows Lambrettas will understand that WAS low...

I saw the light and changed to a motorbike at about 17 years old and started with a BSA A10 Golden Flash – hence the nostalgia element in my recent purchase. Sadly I can’t find any photos of my first A10. I ran a big end on it and put the con rod out through the crankcase - sold it for spares for £17 10s.

I think that was the last bike for decades. My next motorcycle was a Suzuki T250cc 2-smoke twin Hustler that used to scare me on the twisties out around where I lived. Fearing for my life I parked it up.

I then got into dirt bikes following a spin (almost literally!) on my mate's evil Maico 400cc single 2-smoke - absolutely mental - scared me to death but I wanted more of the adrenalin rush. I started with a Husky WR250cc 2-smoke, then XR200, Suzuki RM250 (scary fast), KDX200, and then a succession of Yamaha TTR250s. Initially I used to just ride enduros but then got into trail riding and joined the Devon TRF Group ending up as their RoW Officer for many years. I also competed on the TTRs in LDTs and am the proud owner of an MCC Triple Award.

My current trail bikes are a TTR250 with a Thumper Racing 325 big bore kit fitted and a Yamaha WR250R.

It wasn't very long after I bought my first TTR that I found there was very little information available so I started a Group on Yahoo in June 2001. Any information gleaned from the Group, or learned by doing jobs on the TTR myself, got put into a simple web page which I called the TTR250 FAQ – www.ttr250.com . It looks very dated now but is kept up to date as best I can.

I became aware of the friendlier (a huge step up from the old Yahoo Groups) Activeboard forum software and started a TTR250 forum (http://ttr250.activeboard.com/p/recent/) in July 2011 and I reckon it works pretty well with a great bunch of owners contributing both questions and answers. Currently 1,680 members and nearly 4,000 views a day. I also started a business selling parts and accessories for the TTR (and later the WRR/X models) and built up a selection of bespoke parts made locally such as bash plates, tail tidies etc. – www.totallyttrs.com. I sold the business to a friend earlier in the year ahead of collecting my OAP.

I foresee having a bit of time on my hands and wanted a break from TTRs so grabbed the chance when a Golden Flash came up for sale locally. It is being delivered next week. I am looking forward to doing a bit of fettling on it and going on some rides with like-minded folk looking for a gentle bimble into the countryside with a good lunch stop at the other end!

I will add some photos when the beast is delivered.

Sorry to have rambled on but you did ask  ;)

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.10. 2016 16:36 »
Brian,

Thanks for the great story. It was not an extreme ramble and it was an interesting read. One place these stories help is in knowing a bit about who's on the other end when writing about our bikes. For a moment I thought, "I wonder if I should warn him that the brake pedal is on the left?"  *smile* Obviously, no need, you have a vastly (near infinitely) greater history with bikes than I.

Richard L.

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 14.10. 2016 17:24 »
The left-hand gear change wasn't an issue but I only rode the A10 around the car park.

It was only afterwards when my brother asked how I got on with the gear change on the correct side that I thought about it!

Nearly all the bikes I have ridden in the last decade have had l/h changes so it could be a problem. However, I remember that I had a 500 RE Bullet for a while and am guessing that had a r/h gear change but can't recollect any problems making the change. Fingers crossed eh?  *smiley4*

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 14.10. 2016 17:33 »
Hi and welcome Brian - I've had a little shot on a bike with opposite hand shift W650, surprising how quickly you get into it.
Thanks for the story, interesting read *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 14.10. 2016 17:52 »
What-the-heck is a "skip"?
Behind the machine in the picture you can see a 'Skip'. They are dropped off by a special truck for builders etc. to fill with rubble or timber etc. The truck returns and takes it away for disposal. See attached image. Do you not have them in USA?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 14.10. 2016 19:10 »
Our American friends call them dumpsters I think  *smiley4*
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 14.10. 2016 19:14 »
OK, that was obscure, but I now get it. Could maybe use one parked in my driveway for cleaning out the garage.

Richard

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #13 on: 14.10. 2016 20:04 »
G'day Brian,  *welcome* from downunder.
This will be the longest week of your life. You'll be looking out the window every hour waiting to see your "new" bike in the drive.
Any help you need is just a mouse click away.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 14.10. 2016 20:24 »
You are dead right - I am fretting a bit already and wishing I had collected the bike myself!

The upside is that its raining now and the forecast for the weekend is for more of the wet stuff so I am telling myself that I wouldn't have had an opportunity to ride it anyway  ;)

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK