Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1098 times)

Offline kylohere

• Active
Greetings!
« on: 12.09. 2016 03:41 »
A big hello to all the gentlemen and ladies in this forum.

My name is Kyle Pereira and I am from Bombay, India. I currently live in beautiful New Zealand but will be going back home by the end of this year.

All my bikes are back in India and all I can do is sigh when the motorcycles whizz by when I am stuck in my car in the great Auckland traffic snarl.

My A7 is currently just an engine with half of the engine number ground off. But I intend to get her back on the road in original spec if I can, and as a mongrel if I can't .

Any Auckland based Kiwi members here?
Kyle

BSA M20
1950 (?) BSA A7 project
Triumph 3HW
Triumph Terrier
Ariel Red Hunter
AJS 16M
Matchless G3L
Royal Enfield Bullet

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: 12.09. 2016 05:44 »
Kyle,
welcome to the forum, is the A7 a swingarm , plunger or early longstroke type?
Quite a pile of early A7 longstroke parts on trademe down in Hamilton at the moment.
The local BSAOC meets every second wednesday of the month (this week) at the Northcote Tavern (harbour bridge end of the bar) from 6:30pm: just look for the anoraks   *whistle*, just kidding, we're a friendly bunch  *beer*
Certainly several Auckland or near Auckland members on the forum and active BSAOC and classic clubs including classic racing. 
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.09. 2016 08:34 »
 *good3*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.09. 2016 08:57 »
G'day Kyle,  *welcome*.
Once home in India I'd say you'd want to pack up all the bikes and head back to NZ for good!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.09. 2016 13:51 »
welcome  kylohere

and looking forward to your progress wit the A7
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 12.09. 2016 21:07 »
Welcome, thanks for intro post. Some pictures and bike story? btw I've been to Bombay, long time ago.
Hoping the forum can help getting the bike running.

And not too many ladies members here... there must be some out there riding A's?

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.09. 2016 21:31 »
Kyle,

Welcome to the forum. Have you been gone from India since before 1995 or is "Bombay" still in popular use as the name of your home?

I think our only other member from India is Anjimehra, though I might have forgotten someone. Anji runs a motorcycle adventures tour business out of Pune. Here is the link: www.ventureonwheels.in . I was surprised to see that Pune was only 148km from Mumbai. I suppose that is considered quite close by Indian terms, considering the extensive rail system that I know precious little about. Anji has a lot of experience keeping A10s going and might be a helpful source of India-specific parts suppliers, et cetera.

Richard L, 

Offline kylohere

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 13.09. 2016 14:47 »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Bombay was, is, and always will be Bombay to anyone who has lived in the city long enough. In fact, most of the older cabbies are still more familiar with the old road names as opposed to the new ones.

I do know Mr. Anji Mehra from Pune. He's regarded as a stalwart in the Indian classic and vintage motorcycle circles. His garage houses some really fine machines, some of which are not very common in India. And he's a really person; which is something that is even harder to come by these days!

With regard to my A7 project, I honestly just want the motor to propel itself down the road. I couldn't be bothered about originality at this point because there is no way that I can correctly ascertain its complete engine number and even if I did somehow manage to do that, finding the matching frame would be impossible.

I have been toying with the idea of plonking the motor into a plunger B31 frame but I haven't seen or heard of someone managing to do it successfully. Would it be possible to do so without the need for cutting or altering the B31 frame in any way?

This might upset a lot of purists but I feel that it's better to have a bike of mixed heritage blat down the road than have its motor sit under a bench collecting dust.
Kyle

BSA M20
1950 (?) BSA A7 project
Triumph 3HW
Triumph Terrier
Ariel Red Hunter
AJS 16M
Matchless G3L
Royal Enfield Bullet

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 13.09. 2016 16:08 »
Kyle,

I'd venture to say that we all agree with your take on the need for originality or, in your case, lack thereof. On the other hand, Anji is an original who we all like and respect. (Anji, yes, that's true.)  I sooo want to take one of his tours but I'm not really holding out hope. He sent me (or posted, I forget) a family green curry recipe that I made and pictured here on the forum. It was, indeed, delicious. Everyone here thought the color and plate presentation were fantastic (well, that may be just a teeeeny exaggeration).

Can't offer anything regarding the A7 engine in the B31 frame.

Richard L.

Offline kylohere

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 13.09. 2016 20:05 »
Grown men who ride big British kickstart-only motorcycles and who love to cook too? Wow, this really is an awesome forum!

Kyle

BSA M20
1950 (?) BSA A7 project
Triumph 3HW
Triumph Terrier
Ariel Red Hunter
AJS 16M
Matchless G3L
Royal Enfield Bullet

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 13.09. 2016 20:43 »
G'day Kyle.
I'd say it's possible to put an A7/10 motor/gearbox into a B31/33 frame. I think the only difference is the kink in the B frame to clear it's oil pump.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 13.09. 2016 21:12 »

G'day Kyle *welcome*, fairly sure the 'B' plunger frames are different, in that the downtube from the seat runs between the engine and gearbox, ie; the box doesn't bolt on like an 'A'

duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #12 on: 13.09. 2016 21:19 »
Bugga, your right duTch. I was thinking of the s/a.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #13 on: 14.09. 2016 01:45 »
If its a plunger A7 motor a plunger B31 frames front triangle frame section isnt going to work and a nice option might be an A65 frame which should take the semi unit motor and quite common.
A swing arm motor with a separate gearbox might well be able to go into a plunger B series frame, although (and speaking as an owner of one) as the plunger B frame relies on the engine as a stressed member, is weaker than the equivelent duplex plunger A series frame.
If you have a pre unit A7 motor an interesting option would be to graft it into a WM20 frame, girders and all. The M series frames are tough as old boots as they are a full cradle.
Sounds like you need to advertise in the local BSAOC magazine.
Try and get along to the Northcote Tavern tonight (anytime after 6), the foods good and its a diverse bunch of people. I'll be there
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline kylohere

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 14.09. 2016 07:59 »
Hi Tim!

I just saw your post and its 7pm already. Damn, will have to meet you guys for the next meet.

The A7 motor on the M20 frame does sound tempting. And like you said, M20s are built tough. Although most Norton fans might disagree, I feel that the M20 seems more robust and reliable than the 16H or the Big 4 for that matter.

You reckon all it should take is the fabrication of suitable mounting plates for the A7 to get comfortable within the M20 frame?
Kyle

BSA M20
1950 (?) BSA A7 project
Triumph 3HW
Triumph Terrier
Ariel Red Hunter
AJS 16M
Matchless G3L
Royal Enfield Bullet