Author Topic: Hi from A10 new owner  (Read 750 times)

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
Hi from A10 new owner
« on: 05.08. 2016 13:03 »
Hi, just a quick introduction as requested.
I'm a long time biker from Near Edinburgh, Scotland.  I have, since about April, been rebuilding an A10 cafe racer.  Although I have owned, ridden, maintained and modified bikes since I was very young (and now very old!) - this is my first A10.  I bought it as a basket case on a whim (wouldn't do it that way again - different starting point would be better I think) - and have only really been spending a few hours of an evening on it as it's not a race *smile*.  Saying that - I think I've spent as many hours googling - for parts, how to's and advice as I have with a spanner in my hand.  the downside of a basket case I'm afraid - loads of bits missing, not usable or not the right bits.
I guess I've enentually joined because I've found so many good threads and advice on here while googling - I thought it worth joining in.
My dad rode an A10 when I was a toddler so I have the faintest recollection but have heard his many stories (many times!!!) - and thought a bit of nostalga would be good (for me and him - he's 76 now and still rides his bikes).
I've gone a bit RGS with the build - but trying to finish with a good riding bike and not a 'replica' and not a show bike.  Mind you - the money it has cost so far is staggering - and once you start down that road, it's hard to stop chasing it (I've spent X amount, I might as well spend £100 on the correct brake switch!!!).
Anyway - I have had a great experience over on the BSA OC forum, where, although certainly not a busy forum - does have a few resident experts who have helped me so much and to whom I'm very greatful - I wanted to try your forum as it looked bigger and busier and like I already said has provided good info so far.
I'm at the stage where I have a rolling chassis and the engine is built up to the rocker box (found I was missing a couple of studs and nuts last night so back to google).  this is definately the point of finding a missing item and it's usually a cheap part that holds things up for a week.
So I'm sure i'll be on for some advice next time I get stuck.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Hi from A10 new owner
« Reply #1 on: 05.08. 2016 13:34 »
 *wink2*

...not a show bike.  Mind you - the money it has cost so far is staggering - and once you start down that road, it's hard to stop chasing it (I've spent X amount, I might as well spend £100 on the correct brake switch!!!).
Yup, that was my experience also. I stopped entering the cost onto a spreadsheet when it looked like it was approaching £4k in case my wife ever saw it!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.08. 2016 14:12 »
The only way I've found to justify the cost of getting a basket case on the road again is to assume after its finished that it will not need more money spent on it for the next 10 years  *smile* well.....  that and it stops you going down the pub.

Some "restored" bikes will cost nearly as much to put right as a basket case  *problem*

Welcome and we look forward to your questions.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 05.08. 2016 15:40 »
Thanks for the fine intro post, and welcome aboard.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 05.08. 2016 18:00 »
 *welcome*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline polly

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 05.08. 2016 18:26 »
Hi Slippery Sam,
I joined for the same reasons and to be honest it was the best thing I ever did.

Pose a problem or look for advice and you get it.

This forum has seen me thou multiple problems and offered advice and insight that was invaluable .
The forum members are very passionate about this bike and live and breath it.
Since joining I have found everyone willing to help and Im just waiting for the day I can help someone too.

Welcome ....

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.08. 2016 19:38 »

Hiya S-Sam,

I guess I've enentually joined because I've found so many good threads and advice on here while googling - I thought it worth joining in.

Ditto that and ^above^ ; then disrupted everything  *eek*...stopped short of spreadsheets though- are the the same as what painters use?

Mine wasn't as together as a basket case, unless the basket takes up the whole planet *conf* found bits from all over the world, but looking back 'only' took me 2,1/2 years to initially get it on the road- another thirty to get it running so I can enjoy it...

Had in mind to document it's latest rebuild, but it was either rebuild the bike, or become a documentary maker- the bike won out *wink2*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 05.08. 2016 19:46 »
Thanks very much for the warm welcome guys.
Looking forward to having a problem now  *eek*
I'm off to read some threads that look interesting and relative to the next stage of my build.

Cheers Raymond
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 08.08. 2016 02:56 »
Raymond,
 welcome to the forum. Yes basket cases, customs, or theoretically restored bikes or tidy bikes, all a great way of spending time and money.
Now one thing we do love is pictures, so post some pics of how it is now and keep posting as you keep working on it.
I did that with my race bike and separately for my ongoing and very slow super rocket build and found it both helpful and therapeutic.
Tim

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 08.08. 2016 03:23 »
Greetings Sam

Welcome

After 10yrs of basket casing I've learned to burn all of the receipts

Scotty

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 08.08. 2016 09:54 »
Agreed. Market prices have still to catch up with the spend on my A10 that must have been back on the road maybe around 8 years or so now. I figure that as long as I don’t sell I’ve not lost anything on the deal. And she’s gorgeous.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 08.08. 2016 14:04 »
Hi Raymond,
   I also started with a pile of parts. Don't think it qualified as basket case, as it was a 30 year parts collection from multiple bikes. It's been about two years and progress has been very slow, mostly because I'm splitting time and funds among multiple projects. Even with the original collection of parts books, it's not always obvious how to make things work together. It probably would have been easier and cheaper to start with a complete, or even running bike, but when she's finally up and running I'm going to be soooooo proud! Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find it as helpful as I have.