Author Topic: ...under attack. Please read.  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
...under attack. Please read.
« on: 13.05. 2009 14:44 »
Forums worldwide are under attack from hackers (seemingly with no other goal than max destruction). I have spent lots of time lately keeping them out, and continuously banning access attempts from the most obscure countries. All well so far, but have no certainty as to what can happen. These hack programmers are as clever as they are evil.

A security fix is under development from the originators of the forum software. Up until then, some functions may be temporarily disabled, ie posting of pictures (attachments), uploading avatars and possibly registration of new members (the origination is scanned before acceptance, but one may slip trough).

In addition I (very seriously) ask everybody here to evaluate the strength of their password, as a hacked member account could give an attacker a foot in the door. If anybody uses a password looking something like 111222 and similar, fix it asap, please !!, and (goes without saying) regularly check your pc for keyloggers, viruses etc.

Lots of forums have gone bust lately. Too much good stuff here to risk loosing it all, although most should be recoverable in case of crisis, as I do daily backups these days, but I'd rather be spared the hefty work of having to restore everything, and the forum going offline.

Thanks for your help.
e
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: ...under attack. Please read.
« Reply #1 on: 21.05. 2009 11:11 »
Forum software has been updated today, and this should fix the recent security issue.

The request for everybody to use a secure password still stands.

Everything seems to work well.

e
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline flatdeck

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 21.05. 2009 22:07 »
I think I would be speaking for everyone here when I say we really appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into this. All of us would be a lot worse off without this little community that provides me for sure with a daily dose of interest. Thanks again.
Dave
NZBSAOC
1949 A7 Star Twin
Kent, U.K. then Auckland, N.Z.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 21.05. 2009 22:55 »
Thanks. Much appreciated.
e

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
  • '67 A65T, '58 Roadrocket, '69 Bonnie, '60 350 AJS
« Reply #4 on: 28.05. 2009 12:35 »
Yes here! here! this is one of the best forums i have ever joined!

Thank you for all your hard work, it is much appreciated, although i guess often not shown!

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Steve

Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 28.05. 2009 22:51 »
Thank you very much. And thanks to the members here for making the forum come alive trough it's content, I just do my best to try to take care of the frame around it all.

e

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 29.05. 2009 19:19 »
thanks for all your hard work this is a superb forum
and very helpfull all my thanks
dave

Offline raymo

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 10.06. 2009 16:37 »
second everyones thanks.. am new here and had a warm welcome and hope to use the help and expertise here

thanks fro a job well done.

cheers

Ray
DA10 Sr ( 1961  I think :-) )
B25S Starfire 1969
T500 ( the suzuki 2T Beast ) 1972
XLV 750Rf Honda current ride
ok so only the Honda is working :-)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 10.06. 2009 19:27 »
Thanks very much for these comments.

(Ray, about the T500, in days long gone past I dreamed of owning one, and somehow still do)

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 10.06. 2009 19:38 »
your a jem mate well done i love this site im on it most nights

dave

Offline 62a10

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 24.06. 2009 23:51 »
thanks lj. without the forum, there might well have been an innocent a10r victimized by my idiocy with bsas. your work is greatly appreciated.
 cheers,
 barefoot ed

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #11 on: 25.06. 2009 08:43 »
Whoah! I can say that Erling is the man whom all the credit should go to, I am mearly just a watcher for in case he misses anything. I occasionally have a snip around just to keep things tidy and clean. But really... you guys... the membership are a good bunch who keep the forum great with lots of really interesting posts, rarely we have to delete anything.

LJ.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 25.06. 2009 20:28 »
LJ., you've been a great help in getting the forum going, with advice and positive input since the beginning.
Looking back, f.ex.  june 2006: 18 posts, june 2007: 50 posts, and tons of problems with spammers etc all along, I nearly ditched the whole project. But due to the presence of the dedicated few, like LJ, it's been growing steadily, and looking at the stats now, june 2009: 900+ posts so far, it's been worth the work and time, lots of members and visitors have been finding friendly help over the years, to keep, or get, their bike on the road.

e

Offline raymo

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 25.06. 2009 21:21 »
can I add my thanks too..

this is a great site. I have had BSAs for a long time
 and learned more from this site in the past few weeks than could ever realise
that is down to the folk on the site, but with out your dedication it would not happen..

I was a member of a transalp site a few years ago, that was a wealth of information..
some Turks hacked it and it was completely lost.. it restarted but never fully recovered..

DA10 Sr ( 1961  I think :-) )
B25S Starfire 1969
T500 ( the suzuki 2T Beast ) 1972
XLV 750Rf Honda current ride
ok so only the Honda is working :-)

Richard

« Reply #14 on: 25.06. 2009 23:43 »
I would like to add that this is a very pleasant site with a lot of helpful and tolerant people taking part who between them can agree to sometimes disagree with certain things and stay friendly and civil and debate them as it should be. I am never worried about writing something that may not be quite correct as it is always debated and pointed out without any agression.
Earling you are a credit to any forum site and I hope that all that use this site show it the due respect that it and you deserve.
Thank you
Richard (minety uk)
ps I am adding the above to my signature name as LJ told me that he gets confused  sometimes as there are a few Richards on site it must  be an age thing keep, up the good work LJ
Rich