Author Topic: I would like to buy my first British Bike  (Read 1365 times)

Offline JohnC

• Active
I would like to buy my first British Bike
« on: 18.06. 2016 20:14 »
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, Thanks for letting me join

I've joined as I am looking for my first British Bike. I joined to forum for advice about a couple of bikes I had been offered, but I see that there is a wanted section, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had anything suitable. I'm in the UK, so not looking to import a bike.

I'm a middle aged bloke who, over the last few years has been riding a couple 70s/80s Japanese bikes and a late 70s Morin. However I have become more & more interested in buying a British Bike, after going to the Peterborough Show and taking part in the National Motorcycle Museums "Try a classic" I have decided its time to act.

So I have sold an early 80s Honda, and have a maximum of £3000 to spend on a British bike. I'm 6ft & 16 stone, so I'm not looking for a lightweight small capacity machine. I'm looking for a bike to ride not to show, but also not a project, just a running, usable first British Bike to have fun on this summer.

Looks / originality don't matter, but it needs to work and be legally on the road. It does not have to be a BSA however I have been thinking about A7s or A65s.

If you know of anything that might be suitable please get in touch

thanks
 John

Offline JohnC

• Active
Thinking of buying a BSA .
« Reply #1 on: 18.06. 2016 20:23 »
Hi

I'm looking for my first British Bike, I've not got loads of cash, but after selling my early 80's Honda I've come up with a budget of up to £3K. I've spotted a early 60s A7 that sounds like my sort of bike, and after talking to the seller it sounds like something I could buy, not cosmetically good, but up & running, on the road and usable for the summer. I could do with some advice as to what to look out for when buying an A7, not the basics applicable to any older bike, but is there anything specific to the A7 that I should be looking out for.

thanks
John

mod edit: merged similar posts

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
Re: Thinking of buying a BSA .
« Reply #2 on: 18.06. 2016 20:51 »
Quite basic, but well proven, engine may be a bit noisey because of alloy head, mainly because of tappets. Check oil return via oil tank filler, should be decent flow. Check charging, as dynamo refurbishment can be expensive. Don't,t expect great brakes, but they can be improved with a bit of work. Clutch can be heavy, but again can be improved with further work and correct adjustment. Just enjoy, they just need to be loved and cared for.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: I would like to buy my first British Bike
« Reply #3 on: 18.06. 2016 21:23 »
John, welcome to the forum. *welcome*

You said you are NOT looking for small capacity, so, maybe an A10 at 650cc vs. A7 at 500cc. Also, I think spares for A10's are a bit more plentiful than for A7s. Here, we are biased toward A7s and A10s and I am sure you will love riding yours if that's what it turns out to be. On the other hand, if "British" is the main thing and not "old", why not a new Triumph that comes with a warranty and a service organization?

Thank you, and good night, as Admin will now delete my membership for the previous comment. ::hh:: *wave*

Richard L

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 18.06. 2016 22:13 »
G'day John, welcome to the forum.
I agree with Richard (I'll deal with him in a moment). At 6' and 16st an A10SR would be more appropriate. Nothing really more than Billy has said.
Mind you my little 51 A7 carried me and the missus through the snowies a few times with 25st on her back.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 19.06. 2016 07:43 »
Welcome aboard John, the old bikes are very addictive and if you put 2 in the shed they will start breeding!  My advice would be an A65 as they are still reasonably priced, go well (650cc) and parts are readily available. Do you like working on motorcycles? The old bangers require a bit of TLC and a lot of $$$. As a bonus they have gone through the unloved years and slowly creep up in value. Also whenever you stop somewhere on an old motorcycle there is always someone comes up to talk about it.
cheers Tomcat
59 Super Rocket 

Offline JohnC

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 19.06. 2016 15:46 »
Hi Everyone & thanks for your comments. I am looking for an older  British Bike rather than a modern Truimph, I already run a couple of 70s Bikes (MotoMorini Strada  & Suzuki GS1000 and an 80's Kawasaki ZX10 (I think the US version was the Tomcat?), but I have always fancied something a bit older & British, I have ridden my fathers Bikes (250 Mathcless / 500 velocette) so I have an idea what a bike like this might be like to ride & maintain.

The real issue for me is the cost of a bike, at the moment prices seem to be endlessly rising, so after several years of thinking about it I have decided to act, I sold a very tidy Honda CX500 to raise some cash and make a space in the garage, and I'm looking for a bike to have a bit of fun on over the summer. When I started seriously looking at adverts, ebay listings etc I found that to be my £3000 budget does not seem to buy much. I could get a tidy 350 AJS/Matchless for that sort of money, or maybe an 350 Ariel, but anything a bit bigger seems to command a higher price.

I have been looking at adverts for A65s but either I don't have enough money, or they are the 70's version with some sort off issue. So far I  have been offered a "good runner" which has been standing & now wont start, and a nice clean bike but with the frame number different to that on the registration document, which is quite a problem here in the UK and could take a good while to sort out & get the bike legally on the road.

Then I spotted an add for an A7, just about in my budget, private seller, running and on the road but with some cosmetic issues. I hadn't though of an A7, but it could be a ready to ride, usable bike that I can realistically afford to buy. Hence joining the forum and asking for advice. So any tips about what to look out for when I go to view / test ride the bike (all being well next Saturday) would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #7 on: 19.06. 2016 20:41 »
G'day John.
There's nothing specific that comes to mind. Just the normal steering head, forks, wheels, swing arm, shocks need to be given a good shake to check for excessive play.
Is it an iron or alloy head? Down the track it could be converted to an A10 by changing the crank, rods, barrels, pistons and pushrods.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline JohnC

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 19.06. 2016 22:39 »
Its a 1960 model, sellers picture attached.

cheers

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 20.06. 2016 07:16 »
Looks quite original to me and complete, so good starting point. It has iron head so its not a Shooting Star, has monoblock carb with air filter, so good bet its pretty standard throughout. Best of luck.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 20.06. 2016 11:04 »
Looks pretty good. If it starts 2nd kick from cold and sounds OK I'd grab it. If not I'd knock 500 quid off.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline JohnC

• Active
« Reply #11 on: 20.06. 2016 21:27 »
Owner has agreed that I can take it for a thorough test ride on Saturday, you never know I might just bring it home with me. *smile*

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 20.06. 2016 22:18 »
It does look very good. To the experts on the forum....Are those mudguards right for 1960? (If not it might be a negotiating point, albeit it's highly arguable there is no reason to drop the price unless it's being sold as original and they are wrong).
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #13 on: 21.06. 2016 03:53 »
Not that it matters but just so you know exactly what you are buying I would check the engine and frame numbers, I think its a 1958 or 59 model.

Has round tank badges, 1960 would have teardrop and also has the rear brake cable going to the top of the brake drum not the bottom.

Looks like quite a good bike though and if it goes well and the price is right then buy it.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #14 on: 22.06. 2016 05:38 »
I agree with Brian looks earlier than 1960 (so 58 or 59)
but the A7's are lovely and smooth.  Although I don't own an A7 (but have ridden one) I believe they are underrated.
I run a humble cooking ZB33 as well as my other more tuned beesa twin's and the triple but there's a lot to be said for a humble working beesa. Might not be burning much rubber under acceleration (or braking  *whistle* ) but nice.

Keep us posted and good luck with your shopping  *wink2*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand