Author Topic: Priory Magnetos Ltd - Change of business practice.  (Read 2971 times)

beezermacc

Hi Folks! I thought I ought to let you know that I have been having a committee meeting with my wife about work / life balance! Much as I love fixing magnetos and dynamos and helping people out with their A7 and A10 parts I need to review the way I spend my time. Some of my customers and friends are aware that I retired from the teaching profession in 2009. Regardless of what the Daily Mail might have us believe teaching is a very stressful job and the (unpaid) time-demands are ridiculous. We have decided that it is time to start winning back some of the hours I worked away from my family for no pay and spending some of our savings before we are too old to go jet skiing and bungee jumping! I am also planning on buying a Suzuki GSX 1400 and pointing it at the sunshine! When I established Priory Magnetos Ltd I was planning on spending a couple of days a week in the workshop, not necessarily to earn loadsamoney but to give life some purpose and establish a different network of associates and friends to take the place of my previous colleagues at school. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your perspective) the business has grown into a very successful 'monster' and I find myself working full time with one foot on the first rung of the stress ladder again. Having reviewed what I do I have had to take some hard decisions and made some adjustments to the way I work so...... henceforth I shall only be undertaking magneto and dynamo work for UK customers and I shall be taking large chunks of time out of the workshop during the summer months, and I will be reducing the range of magnetos and dynamos I repair. The retail side of the business will continue unaffected, basically open all year round (apart from when I am actually away on the BSA or Japanese Thingy) and available to international customers. I would like to express my gratitude to forum members from across the waters who have used my services in the past and I am sincerely sorry I can no longer provide workshop services to the many friends I have made overseas. Please have a look at my website www.priorymagnetos.co.uk to see the changes in more detail.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Priory Magnetos Ltd - Change of business practice.
« Reply #1 on: 01.05. 2016 11:58 »
Bit of a shock there Andrew,
I do understand stress; I've been taking anti-stress pills since I found that my job was more than I could cope with. That was partly why I decided to retire at 60. Please relax and enjoy life. I will try not to add to your pressures.
PS: Hope to see you next weekend at the Cheshire camp  *good3*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 01.05. 2016 12:05 »
Thanks Neil, not such a big deal really, just trying to get back to what I planned in 2009 and thought customers / friends deserved an explanation. I find that when there are changes to businesses all sorts of rumours start circulating so it's better to let people know what's-what first hand. Looking forward to seeing you at the camp next weekend.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 01.05. 2016 13:37 »
We only live once Andrew. No dress rehearsals.

Many thanks for all your help and advice to date and I'm sure all will be pleased that you're not shutting up shop completely.

Best wishes for a more balanced future.

Regards, Terry
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 01.05. 2016 15:25 »
Good for you, Beezermac! Though as a recent retiree, I must say I don't feel any less busy than I did working. I don't feel like I have to be in as much of a hurry to do things now. Procrastination is much easier with no schedule.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.05. 2016 15:39 »
Procrastination is much easier with no schedule.
Not if you are married!!  *respect*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 01.05. 2016 16:29 »
Hmmm. Maybe I need to consider a move to the UK.

Glad for you. Make the best of your life.

Thank you for maintaining parts trade with the rest of the world.

Richard L.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 01.05. 2016 17:44 »
many thanks for parts and advice over the years enjoy life while you can

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 01.05. 2016 17:55 »
many thanks for parts and advice over the years enjoy life while you can

I'll second that, with chips
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 01.05. 2016 21:45 »
It sound slike you are making a sensible decision. As has been said before; life is not a rehearsal.

I have neighbours either side of me who worked in different schools and were dedicated teachers. Both have had to take early retirement due to stress despite the financial implications.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 02.05. 2016 06:27 »
hi guys, Beezermacc you have done your bit and now your time is yours well done, I second what jachenbach  says, I still work when I want to,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 02.05. 2016 08:37 »

Heya B-Macc, all the above, I guess it won't affect me much so long as you stay on the forum *smile*

All the best. You're doing well to plan so far ahead, I'm lucky to do more than ten seconds *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 20.05. 2016 21:16 »
Only just seen this - glad to hear you're ok & taking steps to manage stress levels. You have been absolutely superb in helping me with parts, dynamo & mag for my build, I feel very lucky to have such help available.

Online bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 14.06. 2017 01:34 »
Well I think thats a great idea............................................unless its my own magneto that I need repaired urgently :)

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)