Author Topic: Petrol tank for Super Rocket wanted  (Read 815 times)

Offline greenbuilder

• Active
Petrol tank for Super Rocket wanted
« on: 01.04. 2016 09:32 »
Hi everyone.
my Super Rocket restoration is going well, but my existing tank is too dented to restore and chrome.
I'm looking for a round badge one with good chrome. If it's Devon/Cornwall I can collect it.
cheers
Tony

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Petrol tank for Super Rocket wanted
« Reply #1 on: 03.04. 2016 02:09 »
If it is just dented but is sound, then a good panel beater can take it back to a rechromeable state. I'm just in the process of recovering my third "genuine" tank, the first two came out brilliantly. Wasnt as cheap as a repro but was worth the effort.
Just a thought. Having not seen your tank or knowing craftsmen in the UK.
If the tank is rusty, then possibly another story.

The first tank I had panel beaten was thoroughly stoved in and full of dents. I was amazed by the work that Custom Metal Shapers did for me, They are currently repairing the export tank for my rocket 3.
http://www.custommetalshapers.co.nz/page/Metalshaping/
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline greenbuilder

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 03.04. 2016 18:37 »
Hi Rocket Racer
thanks for the advice. If I can find a panel beater who can do it for sensible money, I'll get it done.
I haven't seen a repro tank yet, but if anyone can recommend a supplier of good ones, it might be worth a go.
cheers
Tony

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.04. 2016 22:21 »
A mate who had a fairly rotten 60/61 tank sourced an india repro one through burton bike bits. His thinking being they can vet the tanks and partly de risk buying  a copy. In retrospect he wouldnt have bought one pre painted as the paint was rubbish, but he was happy with what it was for the money and his bike is certainly very smart/his standards very high.

I've only ever bought repro direct ex ebay (mudguard and a toolbox several years apart) and never will buy indian repro tinwear from ebay ever again. Neither part was fit for purpose  *sad2* .

To rechrome a tank requires polishing and if they are not good and solid, problems can arise. We're lucky to have some excellent triple platers in this country who build the tank up with copper rather than polishing the steel until it buckles.
I've been lucky so far to have sound tanks and have found people who do a good job, so don't mind spending the money to save an original tank.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline patcross

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 09.04. 2016 02:48 »
I took a chance with the india repo tank for my 62 golden flash. I got the all chrome one. I was amazed at the quality, the chrome was brilliant, and all the threads and fittings were exact. The original ewarts petcocks fit fine also. I did however line it with caswells to ensure all welds were sealed up good.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 28.04. 2016 17:54 »
a mate bought an indian chrome tank masked it up to paint  it when he removed the masking tape the chrome came with it  *sad2*

Offline greenbuilder

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 28.04. 2016 19:14 »
Hi
thanks everyone who replied to my post.
I now have a very nice refurbished tank from a friend in the local VMCC, in fact the chrome is so good I don't really want to paint it; can I have chrome tank A10?
By the way, VMCC has a big meet at Louis Tea Rooms, Kit Hill, Callington on Sunday, should be a few A10s.
cheers
Tony

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 28.04. 2016 22:25 »

I now have a very nice refurbished tank from a friend in the local VMCC, in fact the chrome is so good I don't really want to paint it; can I have chrome tank A10?

Tony

Looks lovely!  *wink2*
The factory might not have ever sold them unpainted, but it doesnt mean you have to paint it.

After i had Benders (my sidecar) tank done in 2010, I loved it so much it, it has stayed just chrome.
While I sometimes think, shall I paint it, the answer keeps being yeah nah.

I do think from the pic you have taken the engine lightening too far  *whistle* and performance may be effected as you'll rely on pushing or rolling down hills. Just a thought.

Nice tank  *yeah*

New Zealand