Author Topic: BSA Super rocket  (Read 2724 times)

Offline taylor1960

• If it ant broke dont fix it
  • Moving Up
  • If it ant broken dont fix it
Re: BSA Super rocket
« Reply #15 on: 17.02. 2016 21:43 »
Hi its funny how bikes morphed over there life I had a TriBsa but it was a supper rocket on the logbook, I sold it 20 odd years ago and it showed up on EBay a few years back as a Rocket Goldstar with a price tag of £8000 with matching engine numbers 😄 how did a t110 engine turn into a Rocket 😖
1960 BSA A10
1999 Honda CB 500
1978 Can-Am Bomardier

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 17.02. 2016 21:56 »
My pile of parts that's turning into bikes came with 2 engines. Neither set of cases had ever been stamped. Per others on this forum, they'd have been stamped by the dealer when replacing them, but many times they just didn't bother. So really, even matching numbers may not mean much any more. With a set of letter/number punches, anyone could stamp these cases. Makes me wonder how many original "matching numbers" bikes are really all original??? If cases were replaced and stamped by a dealer 50 years ago, is it original?

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #17 on: 07.03. 2016 03:48 »
When it comes to value, the market does value "genuine" machines more highly, but the grandfathers axe issue makes even this problematic as its quite possible that only the frame and engine cases are original and that all the tinwear and everything else is replica.

I'm rebuilding what I consider to be an authentic super rocket although the engine and frame differ by a season. The bike came to me in bitsa tinwear and the only genuine tinwear I could source was american market when the bike was originally domestic UK. so it wont be original or genuine in a number of ways
As mentioned the answer is to quote numbers and the known history and let the market decide, but quite often no history is quoted.
I havent researched whether my frame was dispatched as SR or flash. I probably should but it doesn't bother me and it isnt for sale.
Over here bikes are registerable based on frame history rather than engine history so a modern replica motor can be registered in a 1960 bike, but you cannot register a replica frame as 1960 with a genuine 1960 motor.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand