Author Topic: Hi from Italy!  (Read 612 times)

ezra

Hi from Italy!
« on: 18.01. 2016 16:30 »
Hi everybody!
I'm Giorgio from Italy.
A couple of weeks ago I bought a BSA A10 to start a restoration project.
The bike is not complete and some parts are taken from other bikes (e.g. front wheel seems to be from a Laverda, handlebar is not original...).
As per what I read, my model should be a Super Rocket: it has an alloy head and a monobloc Amal carburettor 389/46. Chassis number is GA7.6103, the problem is that there are no engine numbers (at least where they usually are... as you can see in the picture).
Attached you can find some bad quality pictures of the bike. Maybe someone can help me in precisely identifying the model and the year!
Hope to find on this site some good advice in order to make a good work.  *smiley4*

By the way, I'm looking for a A10 cylinder! Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance!
Giorgio

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Hi from Italy!
« Reply #1 on: 18.01. 2016 18:01 »
Giorgio,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.  *welcome*

Maybe you have already done the research to know that your frame number is for a 1960 model.  Seems that one of three models could apply: A10; Super Rocket or Spitfire. I don't know all the details for it being a Super Rocket, but I believe you need to know the compression ratio of the pistons and valve diameters to distinguish it from a standard A10. Even then, without an engine number, I don't think you could know for sure that it left the factory as a Super Rocket, since a previous owner could have attempted to create a replica. I believe your engine cases must have been a factory replacement at some time (before 1973) and never got stamped.

Anyway, we all look forward to hearing about and seeing pictures of your progress during the rebuild. For some unknown reason, we can't seem to get enough of this stuff.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.01. 2016 19:21 »
 *wave*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2016 20:27 »
Hi Giorgio and welcome
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 19.01. 2016 02:48 »
Welcome!

That TLS front brake has to stay, it will work unlike the original 1960 cast iron hub that was possibly adequate in the day but is far from it today.

Its most likely a super rocket, without the numbers anyones guess, but the spitfires had different footrests and most would have gone to the USA  *dunno*
You will often find a date stamp underneath the motor near the crankcase joins and magneto's typically originally had a date on them too.

The UK BSAOC should be able to confirm what it was from the dispatch records for the frame (for a fee)

Whats up with the cylinder (head or barrel?) that requires replacement, most are repairable (sleeve/bore/weld...)

Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.01. 2016 04:21 »
Hi Georgio, welcome!

I've been told the BSA despatch records are in order of engine number so either the BSA oc or Vmcc uk who can provide a bike dating service have to search through lots of pages to find a frame number, you will not necessarily be given the correct / matching / missing engine number when they do find the frame number as the clubs have some "rules" that are designed to prevent bikes being given the numbers they don't already have  *whistle*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts