Author Topic: Oil tank  (Read 6845 times)

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
Re: Oil tank
« Reply #15 on: 18.10. 2016 13:42 »
I am on a steep learning curve with my A10 but maybe it is good to be taken out of your comfort zone occasionally!

I have removed my oil tank to do the recommended "deep clean" and it is taking an age. Not helped by having to find the correct sized spanners from my box of non-metrics put away a long time ago and quietly rusting and gathering cobwebs under the bench.

I was about to post some questions but the exploded parts diagram is a life saver and it has answered most of them. I will be placing an order with Draganfly later as I have a few PO modifications to correct, particularly the bushing on the rear mounting. I didn't think mine looked right - see photo.

I am having difficulty removing the copper washer on the banjo of the rocker feed. I am guessing the washer has spread through over tightening? I believe they should be fibre washers 5-203 and 2-2894? Photo attached.

Also the oil return pipe inside the top of the tank is further back than one I saw on a YouTube video but guess it's not a problem? Sorry about poor photo.

Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #16 on: 19.10. 2016 11:07 »
Hi Brian, the end mounting which should go to the rear suspension frame fitting is well goosed , the 2 connections are just the oil feed and return, on the return you should also have a joint to take oil up to the rockers .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 19.10. 2016 17:49 »
Many thanks - new parts ordered!
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #18 on: 20.10. 2016 03:22 »

Also the oil return pipe inside the top of the tank is further back than one I saw on a YouTube video but guess it's not a problem? Sorry about poor photo.

Brian

The pipe provides a visual of the oil return, very useful for start up. As long as you get a healthy jet of oil out of it, it's fine. Its tube so can be moved if you want it to... but the main thing is just seeing the return flow and it being higher than the oil level.

A mate forgot the buffer pad and managed to split a seam on his super rocket tank, tightening it up.

The earlier plunger oil and petrol tanks were bolted up solid without rubber mounts and the pre swing arm fuel tanks in particular were very prone to splitting and is mentioned in many period tests.
The move to rubber mounting was very successful and the fuel tank mountings didn't really change much from '54 to 72.
I've lost count of the fuel tank splits my ZB has suffered. We've even added the underside studs to improve.

But putting together a basket case swing arm bike missing some of the oil tank fittings can be a challenge though as bits are typically lost
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 19.03. 2017 09:25 »
This may help.

Diagram taken from Priory Magnetos website. https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/home
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

beezermacc

« Reply #20 on: 19.03. 2017 11:05 »
Please note the above diagram is lifted from the Priory Magnetos website. I've no problem with that but I'd appreciate a reference. I'm happy for forum members to lift anything off my site as long as I get a reference at the same time! Many thanks. Andrew

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 19.03. 2017 11:27 »
This may help.
Hi Roy,  *welcome*. Please will you go to 'Pictures, Stories & Introductions' and tell us a bit about yourself and show us your motorcycle(s).
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 19.03. 2017 13:45 »
Please note the above diagram is lifted from the Priory Magnetos website. I've no problem with that but I'd appreciate a reference. I'm happy for forum members to lift anything off my site as long as I get a reference at the same time! Many thanks. Andrew

Very sorry Andrew. *respect*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

beezermacc

« Reply #23 on: 19.03. 2017 13:56 »
No problem, glad you've found something useful on the site!!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 19.03. 2017 14:18 »
Please note the above diagram is lifted from the Priory Magnetos website.

I was wondering where that came from. Now I know why it's so well done and thorough.

Richard L.

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #25 on: 23.03. 2021 15:51 »
Me again!

I have only just got around to fitting the new parts I got from Draganfly to correctly mount the oil tank - a job 3 and a half years in the waiting - not to shabby eh?   *eek*

Sadly the rubbers supplied are well too small. I can't find anyone on the interweb with them is stock and am wondering what best to do. I assume it should be "just" a case of finding the right hose and chopping off a bit but I am really struggling with that.

Does anyone have one they are willing to part with for an appropriate number of beer tokens please?

Brian

PS The photos show my old rubber on the right and its supposed replacement on the left.
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #26 on: 07.08. 2021 16:45 »
Yes , that's correct.
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 07.08. 2021 22:53 »
Hi Brian and All
I was doing some servicing on a friends A10 and as usual the oil tank mounting rubbers were in sh*t
He ordered form Drag's and likewise The rubber's supplied were not correct, also disappointed that they were just cut off pieces or tubing  *sad2*

The last lot of correct parts I got was from Autocycle Eng, but also try phoning C&D and Kiddiminster

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #28 on: 27.10. 2021 14:50 »
What is the correct length for the 42-8331 distance piece?  I'm missing both, and need to fabricate my own as they seem to be permanently out of stock at all the usual suppliers.  I assume the ID is just big enough to fit the bolt that passes through.

I am also missing one of the 42-8339 distance pieces that fit inside the frame ears near the shock absorber mounts, but I can use the one I have as a reference to fabricate the other one.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Offline Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #29 on: 27.10. 2021 15:07 »
Made my own from a washing machine transport mount - seems to have done the job.
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)