Author Topic: New member Bike pics & info  (Read 693 times)

Offline Brianh

• Active
New member Bike pics & info
« on: 13.10. 2015 19:06 »
Hi  Following my introduction I thought you may like to see photos and some details of my BSA,s
 1960 A10 super rocket;  SRM roller crank conversion ( 1992 ) belt drive to dynamo , 12v electrics with halogen bulbs, electronic voltage regulator, twin leading shoe front brake, rod conversion to full width rear brake .   I use straight 40 oil in the engine,  EP 80 in the gearbox , ATF in the primary/clutch. one of the best changes I have made is to fit Avon road rider AM26 tyres they are a great improvement over the dunlop safty milage and TT 100 tyres I have previously used I can thourerly recomend them.

!954 B31 Plunger  fairly standard It was originally maroon but i prefer black. It has a rev counter and 8" front brake . I use straight 40 Oil in the engine EP 80 in the gear box and straight 20 in the primary/clutch It also has Avon road rider tyres.

The bikes have totaly differant charecters but I love em both
Regards  Brianh

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: New member Bike pics & info
« Reply #1 on: 13.10. 2015 19:58 »
A very dynamic duo there Brian. Well done.
Did you first read about the rod brake conversion here?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 13.10. 2015 21:39 »
Lucky man. Looking real good.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Brianh

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 14.10. 2015 00:14 »
Hi muskrat
Re   Rear brake cable to rod conversion.     Being unhappy with the poor performance of the cable operated full width rear brake. I originally read about a simular rod modification in the " Star " the BSA owners club magazine  this involved changing the original cable arm to an A65 item, putting a double set in the operating rod and routing it on the outside to avoid the oil tank and swing arm this improved braking marginly but the action was spongy due to the bends in the rod trying to straighten when the brake was applied and I could feel the bumps in the road through the pedal as the rear suspension worked.  Then I found details on this forum of the greatly improved version as currently fitted . I have to say passing the rod in a straight line directly behind the oil tank results in a far better brake but still not brilliant . The single sided rear brake on my B 31 is much better.  In all the years I have owned the bike despite lots of tweeking and experiment I have never been happy with operation of the rear brake. I wonder if the modern lining material designed for hydraulic brakes and high milages is to hard for our cable operated anchors.  Although I have had several differant types from various sources to date without success,  I am still looking for some softer linings

Regards  Brian

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 14.10. 2015 02:34 »
G'day Brian.
I have yet to do the rod mod on my cafe (Ariel hubs). You are right in that modern linings don't suit our brakes. I used truck transmission brake linings (super soft) and am still not happy. But I ride it like a GP125, brakes only slow you down  *whistle*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7