Author Topic: New A7SS Owner  (Read 1009 times)

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
New A7SS Owner
« on: 16.08. 2016 13:29 »
Hi all,

I have asked a couple of questions already on the forum about the frame and engine nos for an A7SS which I'm pleased to say I've now bought, so I thought I should introduce myself. I live in south Bucks in the UK and have been involved with old bikes for many years now, although I should say that those I have are all 60s/70s Japanese with the exception of my '69 Starfire which I've had for 20 years now…seems an odd mix I know! So, I've never had to deal with things like magnetos etc, which are all a bit of a mystery to me and so I'm on a bit of a learning curve.

As you can see from the photos, the A7SS is really nice, although close up, there's a number of little jobs I'd like to get to as and when I can, but nothing too pressing. After starting the bike once, I am now having problems getting it to fire up at all. I've put this down to it not being used for the past 12 months with fuel being left in the tank, so I suspect a bit of sludge or dirt could be blocking the pilot jet…I took the carb off yesterday so will take it apart for cleaning later this evening. Other than that, the bike was semi restored some 10 years ago, but a lot of the original parts have been re-used which I like and from the history I've found out, it appears to have stayed within a 10 mile radius from the dealer it was first sent to in April 1955, although has now moved 100 miles away.

Well, that'll do for now...there will no doubt be many questions I'll need to ask in the coming months and so I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you in that time  *smile*

Cheers, Steve

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Re: New A7SS Owner
« Reply #1 on: 16.08. 2016 14:05 »
Welcome aboard. A very pretty bike!

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 16.08. 2016 15:18 »
Hi Steve,
welcome to the forum.
My A7SS is in red *wave*

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.08. 2016 16:16 »
Steve,

Welcome to the forum.  *welcome* Thanks for the excellent introductory post. With that, we're already set to meet at the local (but not local enough for me). That is one beautiful bike. Think you're going to love it if the affair is not already locked in.

Richard L.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 16.08. 2016 16:49 »
Looking great! Welcome, thanks for the intro post.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 17.08. 2016 13:51 »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  *smile*

Richard...I hope you're right about 'loving' this bike! I have had one or two opportunities to buy a nice A7 in the past, but for various reasons, the timing wasn't right so it didn't happen and each time I've regretted it. Now I have this one, I want to be out riding it, but it's just a little frustrating having to spend time sorting starting issues out, but hey ho, nothing new there!
I stripped the carb last night and apart from it being a little grubby inside, nothing seemed untoward. I couldn't see any bits of crud blocking the jets (which I was hoping to), as this would point to the potential problem. I noticed that the carb doesn't have the groove for the 'o' ring where it connects to the head, so i'm assuming it's still using the original carb?I've given it a good clean and just to be on the safe side, I've ordered some new internal bits and pieces and then it's fingers crossed!

Klaus...I've not seen a red A7SS before, are there pictures of it on the site?

Steve

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #6 on: 07.10. 2016 02:35 »
In the lovely polychromatic green, with the superior QD wheels, with the early bolt on manifold (so can accept twin carb options). Whats not to love  *yeah*
I was reading yesterday about the 1954 Daytona A7SS's that cleaned up at daytona  *dribble*. Apparently the riders were given strict instructions not to exceed 6400rpm. So just keep that in mind.  *doubt*
and of course the A7 engine won the 1962 sidecar race at the IOM TT, BSA's only ever Grand Prix win.
That is a stunning bike. You may find the carbs pilot jet circuit has gummed up (fuel additives  *sad2* )from lack of use, this is a big problem on the later concentrics. Using it will help.
Make sure you have a tufnol spacer between the carb and manifold to isolate the carb from heat and use paper gaskets rather than o ring (only applicable to concentrics)
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 07.10. 2016 17:10 »
Hi Steve, lovely bike. I'm in South Bucks too - Amersham - I'll keep a lookout for you.  This forum is great. Someone always has a suggestion or the complete answer.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #8 on: 07.10. 2016 20:03 »
South Bucks here too.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 07.10. 2016 20:44 »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  *smile*

Richard...I hope you're right about 'loving' this bike! I have had one or two opportunities to buy a nice A7 in the past, but for various reasons, the timing wasn't right so it didn't happen and each time I've regretted it. Now I have this one, I want to be out riding it, but it's just a little frustrating having to spend time sorting starting issues out, but hey ho, nothing new there!
I stripped the carb last night and apart from it being a little grubby inside, nothing seemed untoward. I couldn't see any bits of crud blocking the jets (which I was hoping to), as this would point to the potential problem. I noticed that the carb doesn't have the groove for the 'o' ring where it connects to the head, so i'm assuming it's still using the original carb?I've given it a good clean and just to be on the safe side, I've ordered some new internal bits and pieces and then it's fingers crossed!

Klaus...I've not seen a red A7SS before, are there pictures of it on the site?

Steve

Valve or ignition? *smile*

Welcome!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 08.10. 2016 08:44 »
Hi Tim, appreciate your nice comments and words of advice. I've since rebuilt the carb with new parts and added the tufnol spacer that was missing. Not riding it regularly yet as one or two other issues have surfaced which I've mentioned in separate posts and I'm still trying to deal with.
Overall, the bike is great though, very pleased I bought it!

Paul and Terry...I'm in Chalfont St Giles. You're welcome to drop by for a cuppa if you're passing  *smile*