Author Topic: Won't Idle , Running Away  (Read 1559 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Won't Idle , Running Away
« on: 22.03. 2009 17:50 »
Apologies to the long suffering who try to help a poor soul only to be faced with yet another problem. Engine starts beautifully but goes right up to high RPM without bothering to stop at coughing or idling. The throttle is not stuck; the slide is all the way down; petrol is not dripping all over the place in an obvious display of flooding caused by a stuck float needle. Maybe there can be flooding after starting that is not displayed by dripping. I am sure there is some other reason I am missing on this gorgeous 68 deg. F day outside of Chicago. If it were not for other obligations precluding riding, like going out with the family, right now as I am being urged out the door, I would be really depressed about not riding.

No time to spell check.

Richard L.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Won't Idle , Running Away
« Reply #1 on: 22.03. 2009 18:10 »
Richard

I am assuming you have adjusted the slow running stop screw by turning it out so the slide goes right down, and you have checked the operation of the throttle cable and its not frayed causing it to stick.

If so, I think you should check for an air leak at the carb to head flange. You say its revving high, but does it have very little power if you try to ride away without opening the throttle? If so that's an air leak. You can check this with oil on the joint.

Also check the air bleed screw, it should be 1 1/2 turns out as a starting point. Also, do you have a paper or foam type air filter, these can soak up petrol and act as a carb themselves.

Does it return to tick-over after a while or stay at high revs?

Regards

Andy
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.03. 2009 20:24 »
Andy,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, this is another case of my assuming the worst when much less than the worst is the problem. It turns out that the slide was not completely closed, though I thought it looked it. I had made some throttle cable and twist grip adjustments to get better throttle return. It turned out that I had overlengthened the outer casing with repsect to the cable length, if that makes sense. So, please add yourself to the list of people to whom I owe a pint if ever we meet in realspace. If I keep making these kinds of goofs for which I feel so indebted for the help, and if we ever all get together, I won't be able to aford petrol.

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 22.03. 2009 20:34 »
But we'll all chuckle as we quaff at your expense - and we'll gladly buy you the 'Gasoline' to get back home!
Bill

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 22.03. 2009 23:15 »
Thats OK, the main thing is that you sorted it. Did you go for that ride ?

Andy
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Yep. Went for that ride, around 15 miles, total. It was great and, with the new original pattern mufflers, versus cheapo shorties, I think I have an idea of what it is/was like to ride an original Road Rocket (albeit with 9:1 pistons a la Rocket Gold Star, or is it Super Rocket, no matter.) Looking forward to much more riding and much less repairiitive wrenching.

Thanks to all for the help. No doubt, I will keep needing it. After all, this wasn't the first round of my rebuilds you've heard about.

Richard L.