Author Topic: registration enquiry  (Read 571 times)

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
registration enquiry
« on: 12.11. 2014 18:32 »
just had a look at the log book  it says,  date of first registration :  07 04 1998 (DECL/D MANUF 1958) to me the 1998 bit does not ring right, can anyone throw any light on this.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: registration enquiry
« Reply #1 on: 12.11. 2014 18:41 »
re registered with age related number?
imported?
If you haven't already - check frame and engine number here http://www.sunnymeadcycles.com/files/BSA_ID.pdf
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #2 on: 12.11. 2014 18:49 »
got some info from BSA owners' club it says-
DATE 09.12.58
335 CPT this reg mark was issued by :- durham L.A. jan. until march 1959.
all seams strange ?

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 12.11. 2014 20:33 »
Derek,

I won't go into too much detail but in the 1980's there was a time limit for all registrations to be notified to DVLA in order to have them put onto the "New" database.  There were vehicles in garages and museums that had an old logbook and their registration numbers became obsolete if the owners missed the deadline.

When the vehicles that missed the deadline were eventually put on the road they were given an "Age Related" number even though the owner sometimes knew what the original number was.  Some years after that,  if you could prove the original registration number, the government relented and allowed the original number to be reallocated to the machine if the new owner wanted to go down this route and pay the appropriate fee for the privilege.  In these cases, the actual date of re-registration was put on the registration document (7.4.98 in your case) and there was normally a note somewhere on the document that stated something like "Declared year of manufacture 1958" or whatever year the vehicle was made.

There are other reasons for the sort of anomaly that you have but the example I've given will be the most likely.

Hope this helps,

Beezageezauk.

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #4 on: 12.11. 2014 21:40 »
thanx thats great (beezageezauk) now that you'v brought this to light i seem to remember somthing like this from the past *smile*