Author Topic: Latest Incarnation!  (Read 847 times)

beezermacc

Latest Incarnation!
« on: 12.10. 2014 11:48 »
I'm always pleased to hear about another A10 hitting the road. Usually it's other members with their finished projects. This is my latest project. Bought from a customer who had been let down by other repairers who hadn't finished parts of the bike (engine, wheels....) before time ran out in a unit he was hiring to build the bike. I bought it as a basket case and, in the end, only used the frame, gearbox, and yokes. It came with a dismantled A7SS engine but as I had a Super Rocket engine already built but removed from another bike I slotted that in. I had decided to build something not too precious and non-standard as I'm getting a bit bored with paying ridiculous money for original parts and I wanted something I could blast around on without worrying about the weather and the cow muck on the Cheshire lanes. So this bike was built as quickly as possible (about five weeks!) using bits and pieces dragged from various corners of the garage. The mudguards and silencers were robbed off my RGS Autojumble special as they're getting a bit 'age-tired' and I thought I'd treat the RGS lookalike to some new bling. The clocks are Koso electronic instruments - they're not cheap but about 1/5 of the price of a pair of original chronometrics. I built a 12v negative earth dynamo to make fitting the clocks easier and I fitted an Optimate charger socket as I'm now on 12v and can power Satnavs and phones etc. I routed the dynamo wires under the bike so there are less wires running up the frame and along the headstock where things seem to get a bit congested. The light switch is the A65 toggle type which I find more reliable than the earlier rotary ones. The magneto is manual advance but I fitted an auto advance unit as well so you don't need to retard the ignition to start it but you have the advantage of a retard lever if it starts pinking up hills. I used an A65 brake switch mounted in the sidecar lug and I made my own lifting handle and modified the centre stand slightly to make lifting easy. I also made a new centre stand pivot arrangement with decent bushes and grease points - it's taken all the slack and nasty wobble out of it. The rims are stainless built onto a pair of hubs I bought off a guy in Gloucester. It runs great and I think it looks OK, it's a bit different. Musky will like the seat anyway!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Latest Incarnation!
« Reply #1 on: 12.10. 2014 13:16 »
I like that very much. Not bad at all for a bitsa. The only thing I'd change is shorten the front guard stays to drop the guard a bit. Nice job mate.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 12.10. 2014 20:39 »
I think all those 6-stay guards stand a bit proud of the tyre. I agree with what you say (Musky) but I just wanted a quick build without getting too fussy about aesthetics. Having said that I did spend quite a bit of time on the various mods mentioned which, I believe are improvements and, are worth making the effort for. I was hoping to create something that was non-standard but in keeping with the era and a pleasure to ride.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 12.10. 2014 20:58 »
hi guys/Beezermacc, i love it great job,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 13.10. 2014 14:33 »
Fine job, and in quick time to, you must have lots of bits hanging about in your garage.
Looks like something direct from the 60s with the Goldie silencers and drop bars, when many bikes were customised, or personised.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #5 on: 13.10. 2014 15:19 »
 *wink2* she looks GREAT.... well done..   *good3*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

beezermacc

« Reply #6 on: 13.10. 2014 16:09 »
Built my first A10 (A7SS actually) in 1997 and been collecting and hoarding ever since! Very kind remarks, thanks fellas!

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: 14.10. 2014 18:29 »
I had decided to build something not too precious and non-standard as I'm getting a bit bored with paying ridiculous money for original parts and I wanted something I could blast around on without worrying about the weather and the cow muck on the Cheshire lanes.

And it still looks better than mine!! *eek*

Looks like lot's of fun are to be had *smile*
Slow but steady...