Author Topic: Derbyshire on a Summer's day  (Read 913 times)

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
Derbyshire on a Summer's day
« on: 27.07. 2014 12:33 »
The weather here has been amazing, very 'un-British'. Took the A7 for a run through the Derbyshire Peak District yesterday in an effort to cool down.
Stanage Edge is World famous for it's gritstone climbing routes, here looking magnificent behind the old girl.
I have a recently fitted Newby clutch and belt drive, massive improvement all round from the chain and 6 spring original.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: Derbyshire on a Summer's day
« Reply #1 on: 27.07. 2014 13:00 »
That sounds like a suitably pampered A7 and also some tremendous scenery to ride through. I'm often travelling through the Peak District but sadly, so far, on 4 wheels. Make the most of the weather because it will change, not that the scenery will suffer at all.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.07. 2014 14:06 »
A beautiful bike and beautiful scenery, as well. A bit envious right now.

Richard L.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.07. 2014 09:59 »
Looks great. But unless you ride out in your skimpies how do you keep cool?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #4 on: 30.07. 2014 17:58 »
I'm slightly reluctant to admit to wearing ordinary jeans on this ride + the obligatory leather jacket. Not a good idea from a personal protection point of view but I simply couldn't face the full prtective gear in the heat of the day.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.07. 2014 22:55 »
Looks great. But unless you ride out in your skimpies how do you keep cool?

Anyone riding a pre-unit 'A' is cool, more so, with a Plunger 'A'..... *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 31.07. 2014 12:46 »
Well possibly opening things up for an enlivened debate here …

I’m all for riding in skimpies. You hear a lot of chat from the pocket rocket boys these days about the foolishness of going out in anything other than full leathers, and indeed you will see them going past in just those on a hot and humid summer’s day. No thanks. Back in the day jeans and a pair of decent trainers (?) were considered more than adequate.
Riding to the station in the morning (8 miles) I’ll be in suit trousers, brogues and a Harrington jacket … and light leather gloves. Riding to the local shops it could be little more than shorts and a shirt. And moccasins. I maintain that a heel and toe gear shift gives the advantage of being able to comfortably ride in flip flops – think they might be thongs in the Southern hemisphere (?). My favourite helmet is a Davida pudding basin, not strictly speaking legal here – but light and airy and gives good visibility.

Foolishness? Well maybe, but only if I manage to fall off when so attired.

‘Cause, come winter time I’m wrapped up just like everybody else.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 31.07. 2014 14:23 »
I think that it's down to the individual , if you wear no protection if you come off you will hurt . I ride in jeans and biker jacket with armour I've already found out I don't bonce a swell as I used to ,older bones etc .I came off on loose stone chippings at about 5-10 miles an hour , damage limited to a massive bruse on thigh oh and injured pride .What amazed me were the gouges out off my gloves real deep would have made mince meat of my right hand . I don't have to think about it my dear susie won't let me out without the jacket anyway .Cerytainly remember riding in shirt sleeves in my youth but it must be your own choice , best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #8 on: 01.08. 2014 09:50 »
It is a matter of personal choice, other than the helmet (those were the days, and it seems crazy now that we rode without one - even in the rain)
I took a low speed tumble on gravel a few years ago riding a BMW. I was wearing leathers but no armour and really did my hip some damage, nothing broken but very badly bruised. Goodness knows what state I'd have been in wearing jeans. Gloves are always a must for me, these hands are too precious to have their skin shredded but riding the A7 in full gear always seems wrong, this includes ignoring the Hi Vis waistcoat which has to be the best protection for any of us.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #9 on: 01.08. 2014 10:46 »

I learnt my lesson a couple of years ago...   *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne