Author Topic: Sleeping beauty  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
Sleeping beauty
« on: 24.09. 2014 12:25 »
The bike that is ofcourse.

Hey guys long time no type, i even feel kind of bad about that. Good job:)
Let me reinteroduce myself. My name is Pim, im 28 and am from the Netherlands.
I've posted on this site a while ago about me and my a7, and after a long build I got the beast running.
I had some trouble with the k2f and dicided the house was demagnetised so installed an electric ignition unit desined by mainly my uncle and me. It still has some perfection issues but it runs nicely.
At the time my main holdback driving the thing was the lack of drivers licence, and still is. Becouse money is hard to come by as a student.

BUT!

I recentley worked for a good pay and decided now of much too late:)
So I had my "try the bike" experience and it was awsome!
My lessons for the vehicle control are planned for the seccond week of october, and when I pass that exam the lessons driving around town should follow soon.
So i hope to be a bit more active here in the comming time because i have a proper drive! (Phun intendid)

Have fun, and drive safe!

Pim.
Slow but steady...

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sleeping beauty
« Reply #1 on: 24.09. 2014 13:16 »
Wayhay Pim - nice to hear from you again, and all positive stuff.
Good luck with your upcoming test.

And so nice to have some more young blood to keep us old F***s on our toes
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 24.09. 2014 16:49 »
Hi there, nice to see you back, good luck with the control!

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 25.09. 2014 13:43 »
Thanks guys!

I'll keep you posted.
and don't worry bsa-bill stupid questions inbound:)

cheers,

Pim.

Slow but steady...

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.09. 2014 15:02 »
So after dusting off my bike I reorganized my thoughts on how to proceed the coming weeks.
There are some things I have to fix before i can get it running the good (read non destructive) way.

When I rebuilt the bike I made a quite long to do list, and there are only two point's left on that list today,
namely change the gearbox oil. And get my drivers license *smile*

Now some time after i last touched the bike, I notice that I have a different attitude towards getting things done.
At first I had next to no knowledge of the workings of the machine, and only built the lego like parts together. Looking at an exploded view without really grasping the meaning of the different parts.
Now after some time I noticed that while working on a new to-do list more things came up than I'm fixing.
Which means i'm looking more to the workings of the machine and finding more things i ought to look at before it gets to eat some asphalt.
I'm planning on keeping it for a long time to come so a little goes a long way(time) I hope. for example I never thought about the damage overheating an engine can do. It's air cooled right so how can it overheat... well now I know better.

So there is more to do than i originally thought.

This is my list at the moment:
  • Change the primary case oil
  • Change the gearbox oil
  • Change the primary case gasket(leaks *sad2* )
  • Convert to 12v
  • redesign elec. ignition
  • Build/buy voltage regulator
  • Convert dynamo chain to belt drive
  • Tighten spokes
  • Fit the chain guard
  • Jet the carburetter
  • Calibrate the rear brakes
  • Install blinkers
  • check valve clearances
  • get drivers licence

I might forget some points at this moment, I'll add them later. The list is not prioritized in any way but that speaks for it self i guess.
And yes for some ikea reason I managed to put the whole bike together and at the end only had one piece left... the chainguard... Damn did that make me feel stupid. But my reasoning was that it wouldn't matter that much, and called it an anti rust feature. Now I'm not so sure and have to see if it doesn't mess with spacing/alignment issues. I'm not really looking forward to removing the primary drive train case/carter thing...

About the spokes, i found out that some are loose during tentioning the chain. Is there an method to tighten them without the need to remove the tyre?

And now Picture time!:

Slow but steady...

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 29.09. 2014 15:04 »
And even more:)

first pic: I noticed the claxon was wobbeling a bit, then I remembered I bolted it on while it was hanging by a thread and a bit of friction. It couldn't fall off, but still it wasn't proper so i welded the bolt on the housing(not my best/neat work but hey)
The second pic: the current W.I.P. voltage regulator/ elelc. ignition.
three: my awesome welding machine, it does very fine steel plating, as well as the green 10mm beams you see in the back of the previous pictures.
four: the bike my mom got when i was born, after a few miles the crankshaft exited trough the carter and it ended up in a shed for 26 years... so 2 years ago the shed had to undergo maintenance(wassn't ours) and we got the bike back. it runs but the dynamo is toast..

That's where i'm at at the moment.

Cheers!
Slow but steady...

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 29.09. 2014 21:24 »
Hi Pim, welcome to the forum. Seems the Dutch legion is growing rapidly on the forum. (Don't count Dutch in though, as technically speaking he's not from Holland *smile*)
Great welding gear you got there, but ain't that a Citroen Mehari I see under the tarpaulin behind it?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 30.09. 2014 00:08 »
Thanks Morris.

It sure is, originally a two seater.
But we converted it to a four seater becouse riding together with the top of is just awsome:)
Also it's the most fun car to drive on dirt roads:D
Slow but steady...

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 06.11. 2014 16:15 »
Small update,

As my birthday is approaching I got an voltage regulator as a present *smile*Yeehaw! So that's the first thing I'm going to install when I finish this post.
I drained all the oil from the bike so I know for certain what kind of oil is going where. I made some gaskets here and there, and that seems to help a bit.
But I've found an nice pool of oil after a view days studying for exams. It seems to come from the gear box primary side. I'm afraid I have to or change or seal, or remove the geabox and change all the gaskets as some are also sweating a bit in this cold weather without having run once.
Not looking forward to that actually.

I also received some LED's I've ordered from china. I thought of comparing some units to use as a head light, and see if it passes my "meh the colour is a tad off" test ;) Well see.
But the idea of going from 45W to say 10W is very persuasive.
Slow but steady...

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 09.11. 2014 19:54 »
Hi Pim, just out of curiosity, but where did you (or the person that bought it for you) got that regulator from?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 09.11. 2014 20:55 »
When you tighten spokes, you have to check that their protruding ends are not sticking through the rim tape, into the inner tube.

That means removing the tyre.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 12.12. 2014 01:00 »
Pim, I'm impressed. Looks like you're doing a fine job of getting the bike back on the road. I've never even ridden an A10, but always thought they were very pretty. Now I'm trying to build 2 of them from parts. What is it about these bikes? I'm getting downright obsessive.

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #12 on: 12.12. 2014 16:20 »

I also received some LED's I've ordered from china. I thought of comparing some units to use as a head light, and see if it passes my "meh the colour is a tad off" test ;) Well see.
But the idea of going from 45W to say 10W is very persuasive.

I have played with 3 different chinese LED headlights and they differ quite much when it comes to light output and how they spread the light. The first one on the left is the better, but not great, it has one LED on each side for low and high beam, use these in my Renault Twizy. Draws 19W on low and 24W on high beam.

The middle one has 3 LEDs in a triangle, good light output, but very strange spread since 2 are on at low beam and 3 at full beam.

When they constructed the 3rd one I wonder if they ever had seen a light bulb before, the light mirrors on the metal casing (no good) and when you change to full beam 4 LEDs light up instead of 2, no real change in light dissipation...chinese engineering...
Colour temperature is cold white as most (or all) car LEDs.
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 12.12. 2014 23:13 »
Jachenbach, in that case the best is yet to come !! These beauty's handle far better than you'd expect, bet you have the biggest grin on your gob ever after your first ride. Same for me after over 45 yrs , I can't stop grinning ever time time I ground the pegs , get on with the build and prepare to enjoy, Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 13.12. 2014 09:26 »

I'll go with TopBob- when I got mine back on the road, first ride I intended to go 'round the block or so- but figured may as well ride till it stops, ended up the mountain, down the mountain....took the longway back, only about 40k/25Mi......but can't not enjoy riding it.....so much fun
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia