Author Topic: Back again on here, Bonneville stories to share. Missed this place  (Read 1049 times)

Offline dan daughenbaugh

• A's Good Friend
    • Greasy Gringo
Its been a long long time since I've been on here. Lost my password changed My email with no option to recover it. Thanks Musk for rescuing me. Since the last time I was on here I moved shops and homes. Was very disruptive to my racing bike building. Happy to report now though were all settled in at the new place and most importantly the shop is up and running again. Since last time on here  I've been out to Bonneville twice, Not to race but pit crew for a friend running a 51 Triumph 500. Been loads of fun. This year we went well above the 15 year old record with a qualifying run at 114.026 unfortunately it was late in the week, motor was getting tired and we holed a piston on the back up run. Guess thats what happens when you run 50% nitromethane on 50yr old NOS pistons. We did learn lots about running that high of % of nitro. Next year is looking good. As for my A7 I will be bringing it this year as well. Motor is just about done, Chassis as well. Here are a few random pics over the last few years to get the conversation going.
50' BSA A7 Land speed racer
64' BSA A50C Scramble-ized
67' Triumph Bonnieville (stock)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Hey there, welcome back. Nice to get news "I've been out to Bonneville twice"  *ex* and photos.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline dan daughenbaugh

• A's Good Friend
    • Greasy Gringo
I have a whole bunch of photos on my flicker if your interested http://www.flickr.com//photos/68821931@N04/sets/72157631711879870/show/

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Dan. Great pics on flickr. You'd be the dude in the Beeza shirt?
I'd forgotten about your roller lifters. Is the cam re-profiled to suit?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline dan daughenbaugh

• A's Good Friend
    • Greasy Gringo
That's me in the Beeza shirt, I make a cute umbrella girl don't I?  The cam and lifters are a set. Harmon and Collins "Super drag TT" it's from the 60's the only other one I've ever saw was in a triumph dry lake bike from that era as well

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
HI Dan,
Welcome back and looking forward to hearing all about the BSA's at Boneville in 2014
Have a read of the build thread of Briz's LSR A10, Radical to say the least

Looking at your photos I have one comment, the pic of the crank in the lathe shows one end in a 3 jaw chuck
I have never seen a 3 jaw run dead true, certainly not good enough for a crank? unless you carefully shimmed the jaws ??

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
Ah! a fellow salt-head! Greetings!
Are you planning to be there this year? Those roller lifters look interesting.
Nitro on stock pistons??? *eek*

Looking at your photos I have one comment, the pic of the crank in the lathe shows one end in a 3 jaw chuck
I have never seen a 3 jaw run dead true, certainly not good enough for a crank? unless you carefully shimmed the jaws ??

You must have been looking at some well-shagged lathes there John! My old Student 1800 with a 10 year old Toolmex chuck will run true enough to make no movement on a dial gauge; especially when running something between centres.
The days when the accuracy of a chuck was dependent on the skill of the bloke machining the scroll-plate are long gone.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi Briz,
I have been operating lathes since at school in1974, some good some bad and a lot in between *ex*
One of the old fitters where I worked 86- 2009 used to say "3 jaw chucks are for amateurs and fools!!" *eek*
These old boys were a pleasure to watch and taught me a lot
It is a shame that a lot of the skills they had in repairing and mantaining large plant has been lost

On my own lathes I seldom very bother with 3 jaw chucks, I can true up accurately in a 4 jaw almost as quickly,  plus I'm often working on irregular shapes to boot
I find when repairing all the old stuff that it will always need clocking up, centres on spindles / shafts  are often damaged,
For small items I true up a collet holder and this holds items down to 1/8th in dia

Current Lathes are a Colchester Triumph 2000 and a 50's Woodhouse & Mitchell

Any more progress to report on the LSR?

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline dan daughenbaugh

• A's Good Friend
    • Greasy Gringo

Regards
John
Hi John,
My 3 jaw runs pretty true and its from 1947! Before I got it the lathe was seldom used. Anyway you gotta use what ya got