Author Topic: Belated introduction  (Read 996 times)

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
Belated introduction
« on: 11.06. 2014 23:40 »
I guess this is pretty overdue.  I do like reading the techie stuff and replying to it but it’s high time I said hello properly, so here I go. 

I started my life with BSAs back in 1961 with a C11G and a year later bought a ’58 A7.  When BSA bought out the RGS I had to have one but couldn’t any way afford it, so I built one, had the head ported and revalved by Alf Hagon, put a sports fairing on it and revelled in a great bike.  I used to sprint it in the production class at NSA events here in the UK.  Its best ¼ time was 13.66 secs.  That bike never let me down on the road.  I sold it in the ‘70s and still know where the bike has been since the late ‘70s: in a crate in a garage near the south coast because its owner lives in Saudi! 

In the early ‘90s I had my BSA interests rekindled by an A65 which I rebuilt, which has been added to by a RGS, which I spent a long time rebuilding.  That got me back into using machinery and I now have accumulated a large home-made grit blaster, a large home-made stoving oven (as I like the old fashioned stove enamel on these bikes), a Colchester lathe, Bridgeport mill, a small CNC mill (driven by Mach3) and an assortment of other fabrication kit. 

After the bank crash the 2 person company I used to work in was hit hard so I finally retired and now I spend a lot more time in the workshop.  I belong to the Gold Star Owners’ Club, and what a great lot of knowledgeable people they are! 

About a year ago I suffered a shoulder injury that left me kicking my heels, so as I couldn’t do stuff in the workshop, I decided to put an idea that I’ve had in the back of my head for some time into practice - it had become clear to me that there are parts for A7s and A10s that people were saying they wanted, but which didn’t seem to be available, so I have used some engineering contacts to make parts that I’ve designed.  Very much a niche supplier.  I have set up a website to sell these parts and also put some on eBay.  Most recently I’ve had an op on my shoulder which has got it almost as good as before, so once again I can lift rotary tables etc.

About 7 years ago I bought a late Rudge Special which had supposedly been restored (it was shiny at least).  Various problems caused me to look inside it, and what a sick patient it was.  The engine builder had broken just about every rule there is (e.g. a ball race on both the TS and the DS, 60 thou bent con rod to name but two!).  With guidance from the owner of the brilliant one man website http://www.rudge-whitworth.com the bike is now running as it should and is a very comfy and capable machine.  I do like quick bikes and there is a CBR1000RR in the corner that begs me to take it out.  My wife has a Tiger Cub which alas she doesn’t ride much now.  I suspect this may be the bike we’ll hang on to till last, as it’s so easy to start!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Belated introduction
« Reply #1 on: 11.06. 2014 23:54 »
Great intro - very interesting - thanks!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 12.06. 2014 12:37 »
Nice story, appreciated.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.06. 2014 12:46 »
G'day JJ  *welcome* for 3 1/2 years ago  *eek*.
I did have a look at your site. Good luck with the good work, I hope it pays off for you.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.06. 2014 15:32 »
HI  jjbsa

Muskrat has had a look at your site but looks like he's keeping it to himself, this being an A7/10 forum I don't think your breaking any rules by a little self promotion
any good new parts are always good news

Oh and welcome
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 12.06. 2014 20:06 »
JJ slipped it in on the crank sleeving topic.
 http://eborbikes.com/
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.06. 2014 20:22 »
for some reason the link doesn't seem to work, also googled it and no go at the mo, might be down for some reason I'll try it tomorrow
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.06. 2014 20:25 »
Hi Bill
Link works ok for me just now

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 12.06. 2014 20:35 »
still not working here (passport issue maybe  ;))
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 13.06. 2014 09:24 »

Yeah Bill.. works for me too... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 13.06. 2014 09:44 »
Yes got it now, the site has "custom filters" so BT parental controls blocked it (do they fit a Monoblock I ask)

PS didn't realised the parental filters were still set , I trial stuff for BT from time to time and I did trial the parental controls for them about a year ago when they came out (honest it did not involve looking at anything more lustful than a Goldie)
All the best - Bill

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: 13.06. 2014 22:07 »
Would that be ''Goldie'' as in ''Goldie Hawn'' Bill?
Nothing to be ashamed of, I to admit having dreams of a certain kind about her when I was younger... *smile*

BTW added the link to my favourites. Pretty sure will come in handy some day. Thanks jj
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium