Author Topic: 5/8" broach  (Read 1006 times)

Offline davy the car

• Active
5/8" broach
« on: 16.02. 2014 11:50 »
Hi all, bit of a long shot here realy! I need a 5/8" 36 suration broach to sort a problem a mates got. I've measured the shaft and it's O/D is a "nats **** under 5/8" dia. , with a magnifying glass (eye-sight failing fast these days) i've counted the splines and there's 36 of them.
Anyone out there got a broach sitting on a shelf gathering dust? YOUR price paid.
MUST be good usable condition
PS i'm told it has a British Standard spec. of A19 or revised BS A46 or SAE J500?
This is all a bit over my head but that's the spec. i was told it was in the week

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: 5/8" broach
« Reply #1 on: 16.02. 2014 12:15 »
G'day Davy,  *welcome*.
Might be quicker to set up a dividing head on a lathe face plate and use a tool in the post and a strong arm on the saddle wheel.
Made a few that way.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.02. 2014 14:15 »
Educational - I had to google and Wiki to find out what it was, now I know

would you use it for cutting worm drives and or racks
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 16.02. 2014 19:35 »
had to google this too,but came up with this site,any good?

http://www.slatertools.com/rotary-broaches/product/750-shank-diameter-3#.UwESZYUtXno
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline davy the car

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 17.02. 2014 09:20 »
The person that wants it, needs it for kick start levers and head stocks. He is using the original shaft for the head stock and keeping the shaft as it comes out of the side of the engine. He's remaking the kick start levers and needs to spline them to match. Having a small workshop, he doesn't have space to use large machinery so a large lathe is out. I've spoken to an old engineer yesterday and he's got a number of these broaches from a stock of tools he bought from an auction he attended years ago. He's been through them and has a number of different sizes but nothing close to what i need. So we are still looking......

Offline davy the car

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 17.02. 2014 09:42 »
Been in contact with Slater tools, they do in fact have the correct broach we seek..................................... but they are i believe new and we are never going to even dull its cutters.
Come on chaps, some one out there must know where we can buy a good used tool from.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.02. 2014 14:46 »
I'm with Bill about getting educated on this, though, I had seen broaches before at tool auctions. Dredging up memories, the ones I saw back then were the pull type as used in a broaching machine. These have many incremental cutters that work as the tool is pulled through the piece. What was really interesting is what I learned at the Slater Tool site. That cutter you see in Rob's link looks simple but is only a small part of the operation. Slater's process involves a special tool holder that rotates due to the spinning of the work in a lathe and wobbles itself into the work, cutting tiny amounts with each wobble. I don't believe the Slater cutter can work without the Slater head.

Two other techniques I read about: use an index head in conjunction with a shaper (I actually got to use a shaper way-back-when in a community college machine shop class); heat the work piece red hot and drive the shaft through (no gaurantees from me).

Richard L.