Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 2174 times)

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Re: Another new member
« Reply #15 on: 02.12. 2013 21:23 »
Seat looks OK to me. There is a lot of space under the seat but I think the seats changed in 1959 and became a little wider too - at least that is the case with Super Rockets. The A7SS may be different.
The older seats had deeper sides and different mountings - my avatar shows the older one. When I fitted a new seat from Leightons I had to play around with the mountings to get it to fit as it sat a little high at the rear.

I posted this topic a while ago which shows the difference http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,3067.0.html

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline A7SS-rph

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 02.12. 2013 23:18 »
Thanks for the feedback on the seat. I have read with interest the thread suggested by Jim, and I am realising that it probably is a repro seat fitted at sometime.

I am coming to terms with the fact that the bike has "history" in being kept on the road, and I have to accept it. It seems not to have had any serious restoration (perhaps a bit of a repaint at some point. There is rust on parts of it, but I am thinking of just trying to arrest the spreading of any rust and ride it. There is also a name that has been hand painted on the tank (Enid), that I will have to live with as well.

So, Enid will be ridden all winter and perhaps stay as an "oily rag" example for quite a while. The real big benefit is that the engine sounds superb and the sprockets and chain are in great condition inside that fully enclosed chain case. Oh, and the silencers have tubes with holes in them (i.e. no baffles) and you can guess that sound when opened up.

Peter

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 03.12. 2013 10:30 »
Yes indeedy , lovely sound and all you have to do if mr plod is about is roll off the throttle and putter past like butter wouldn't melt etc with a big smile on your face of course sounds like you're enjoying the bike best wishes BobH Ps did you pass by Chirk gliding club on your run ? a lovely part of Lancashire .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A7SS-rph

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 03.12. 2013 20:43 »
If you meant Chipping Gliding Club, then I have done previously.

This run took us through Inglewhite, Garstang and on to Knott End for a breakfast. Then up to Glasson Dock for another brew. We came back home to Clitheroe via Dolphinholme and the Trough of Bowland.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #19 on: 04.12. 2013 10:20 »
I stand corrected t'was chipping ,( Chirk is down in Shropshire ,I think,  ) lovely place ,flown from there twice on birthday gifts and nearly joined the club  but decided to rebuild my bike instead.Incidentially My Gran's maiden name was Clitheroe and her family originated from there. Isn't there a castle ruins around that there ? Anyway sounds a great run, cheers BobH.
United Kingdom

Offline A7SS-rph

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 16.01. 2014 12:39 »
Yes, there is a ruined castle in Clitheroe. A Norman keep.

I have now received my Dating Certificate from the BSA Owners Club. It is with great relief that it says the words "It is still fitted with it's original motor"

It does say that it was despatched to Car Distributors Ltd., Cardiff on the 16th Nov 1960. However its Date of first Registration on the V5C shows 30/05/1962. This seems a long time to have been lying around unregistered, but does anybody have similar experiences of this ?

Anybody know of Car Distributors Ltd. ?

A dealer in 2002 decided to put the original registration on retention. I will not make comment about that on this forum. It appears that the original registration (FAS) was in the Burton-upon-Trent B area.

Any comments always welcome.

Peter

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #21 on: 16.01. 2014 13:32 »
They aren't listed ,Peter,as you prop know. Good news about matching numbers but shame about the original number do you know if it as been sold off or just lying dormant ,only if the dealers not sold it on couldn't you reclaim it , theres a guy in "old bike mag" ,sorry not sure of title now but rest assured someone will know,who would be able to give you the full sp on registrations.
Re the gap to date to sale I've certainly seen it happen but normally on cooking models like Bantams etc but it could happen to anything ,scenario usually involves more than 1 showroom and a bike thats shifted from one to another and eventually merges into the stock  and gets forgotten about or even minor damage and noone wanting to admit it or maybe they weren't bike dealers and simply bought for a client who messed 'em about .I've seen that happen as well ,I used to work for Horsmans and Cundles in liverpool and some companies were to say the least were terrible with stock controll and didn't know what they'd bought .Hope you are still enjoying the bike,regards Bob.
United Kingdom

Offline A7SS-rph

• Moving Up
« Reply #22 on: 16.01. 2014 14:09 »
Hi Bob

Still enjoying the bike. I stupidly used the current Reg. No. to get the registration area. The old one now shows that it was first registered in Newcastle-upon-Tyne B area. So, your thoughts of it moving around dealerships could be true, being a fair distance from Cardiff.

Before Christmas, I put a request into the DVLA for the information they hold about my bike. Perhaps when this eventually returns, I will know a bit more. Although it would appear from the BSAOC website that all the original records for the Newcastle-upon-Tyne B area are presumed destroyed.

Regards

Peter