Author Topic: Chain for Australian owned plunger models  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Chain for Australian owned plunger models
« on: 29.09. 2013 01:53 »
I came across this on evil bay. If you need a chain for a plunger A10/7 then have a look at this. Genuine Reynolds chain and has the narrow sideplates so will go on your bike without any worry of chewing up the gearbox or rear of the primary case.

I have no connection with the seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/530-Renolds-Drive-Chain-5-8-x-3-8-102-links-Suit-Norton-Triumph-BSA-/290978773458?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bfafb9d2#ht_1929wt_758

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Chain for Australian owned plunger models
« Reply #1 on: 29.09. 2013 02:18 »

Thanks Brian,
        Handy to know, will keep it in mind, but I think he means 102 rollers..? If not it'll be even better value...!!
 From memory I think mine has 100, but no big deal, just means it might last 2% longer.   *whistle*
There's a Renold place local up here in Brissy, where I went for a new primary, which was about $70 (~?)

cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 29.09. 2013 09:02 »
Not a bad price for a good chain.
I won a few when racing and they lasted twice as long a a DID.
Might have to grab one.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 29.09. 2013 23:31 »
There was a rumour that Reynolds in Oz stopped making motorcycle chain 20 years ago??? I thought it was only industrial stuff they made now, if they even exist now.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 30.09. 2013 13:18 »
I've been told a lot f cheap stuff offered over here 5/8 X 3/8 is from fork lifts and isn't same quality as the original bike stuff was , which seems strange given the obvious bounding a fork liftwould put it to. anyone confirm this or otherwise.  regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.09. 2013 13:24 »
from fork lifts

Given that I've yet to see a fork lift that did'nt use triple row or more chains I think your right to suspect this one Bob
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.10. 2013 00:21 »

I checked with Renolds, their price is $120.08 + tax = $132, and the guy assured me it is the thin side plate one for M'cycle.

So $ 85 is a good price, I better have one.

Cheers

http://www.renold.com.au/Products/TransmissionChainSprockets/RenoldSynergy/RenoldSynergyIndexPage.asp?menuID=40
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 24.10. 2013 13:28 »
the $120.00???
check what you are buying..generally 530 and most chain comes in 10foot lengths
103 links wont make a rigid frame chain...

I just bought a reasonably high rated chain from a bearing supply...$100.00 for 10 feet.... tsubaki?? 
chain like most stuff..has industrial grades... I don't think..there is any classification for "bike chain"

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.10. 2013 14:35 »

Kev, 103 links is twice the length of what a plunger runs. I'm no expert, just goin' on what I know or has already been stated, in the advertised chain, there's 50 links +con-link =51, or 102 rollers/pins.
  5/8" x 102 pins is just over 5 feet.

Seems the difference for 'bike chain' is thinner side plates , as per previously stated, and the Renolds guy volunteered without me asking.
 Being thinner side plates makes me wonder if the power/whatever(?) rating is lower, unless they use a different grade of material for these to compensate..??
 Call em up, they're at Coopers Plains,  I already added the link in my last post as a reference
 I have an unused refund in Paypal which will just about cover the eBay chain, so looks a goer for me.

cheers, good luck with it, duTch
Australia

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #9 on: 24.10. 2013 23:04 »
Its a bit hard to describe but chains have inner and outer side plates, so for the purpose of determining the number of links required the easiest way is to count the side plates and multipy by two. So for instance if your bike requires a 100 link chain it will have 50 side plates. You can count the rollers, which in this example there will be 100 of them.

The Reynolds chains have thinner side plates because the plates are made of better material than other brands, the thinner metal has the same tensile strength as chains with thicker plates.

Do not use industrial chain on a motorcycle, it might be cheaper but if your lucky it will just wear out with very low mileage. If your unlucky it will break and possible cause all sorts of damage.

Whatever chain you decide to use make sure it is a reputable known brand made specifically for motorcycles.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.10. 2013 23:42 »

Thanks Brian, 'tensile strength' was the term I needed for the concept I had in mind.

I was made aware of the difference with industrial chain some years ago.

When I refer to 'link', is same as what you call one side-plate /2rollers.

We're on the same page anyway.
 Cheers

Lastly,
There was a rumour that Reynolds in Oz stopped making motorcycle chain 20 years ago??
I wasn't suggesting it's Aussie made, just supplied.
   Maybe the ebay Renold chain is imported, the web link I pasted is just for reference for anyone who wants to ask them
Australia