Author Topic: Part availability for a 59 A10 Super Rocket?  (Read 883 times)

Offline TonUpTrav

• Active
Part availability for a 59 A10 Super Rocket?
« on: 30.07. 2013 19:01 »
I'm new to the forum and looking at purchasing a 1959 Super Rocket.  My concern is part availability.  How difficult is it to find parts for a bike like this?

Thanks for the help,
Travis

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Part availability for a 59 A10 Super Rocket?
« Reply #1 on: 30.07. 2013 19:22 »
Welcome to the forum. Basically, my impression is tin-ware (original tank etc) may not be readily available, but apart from that you can get mostly anything, either new pattern parts, used (ebay), or improved stuff from the likes of SRM. So if it's in decent condition to start with and the price is right, you should have no problems (apart from the wallet getting thinner over time :O)

Post some info\pictures on the actual bike and someone here will surely come up with lots of useful info.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline TonUpTrav

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 30.07. 2013 19:48 »
I guess my biggest concern would be parts for the motor and transmission.  Are parts like these difficult to come by?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 30.07. 2013 21:26 »
G'day Trav,  *welcome*
As a10gf said, a fair bit of new stuff is being made eg cams, followers, valves & guides. Most other parts 2nd hand on ebay/gumtree/craigslist.
Repro tin wear from India can be a little iffy but it's something to work with. There should be lots of spares over there, the US was a large market for BSA.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.07. 2013 22:52 »
The U.S. may have been a big market, Musky, but tons of them have ended up here in Oz.

Trev.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 31.07. 2013 00:17 »
I guess my biggest concern would be parts for the motor and transmission
Can't see any problems, stuff is readily available from a multitude of sources\dealers + ebay has it's usual constant offerings. Most (if not all) 'wear-parts' can be ordered quoting the original parts number (from the spares manual).
But if in need of a NOS crankshaft or cylinder one may have to search for a while :O)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 31.07. 2013 09:58 »
Yes Trev, I think USA's biggest export is old pommie bikes to Australia. I have bought a lot of parts from there over the years.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 06.08. 2013 15:11 »
Hi Travis, Just beware of items from India, I just received a replica petrol (gas) tank from there for a 49 B31 rigid rear end and it leaves a lot to be desired. Paintwork is ok except the gold lining is rather amateur and the tank under the chrome is not what it should be .....bumps and dips all over the place. Not a good replacement. Same with a replica M20 army headlamp switch, had to file the cam to get it to work the lights properly. Then there was a pair of stainless rims, they were quite good but entirely wrong for an A10 with full width hubs!!! Engine and gearbox parts are readily available on the net if you are prepared to be patient and have the ready moolah. Cheers and good luck. Gerry

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 06.08. 2013 16:21 »
Hi Travis, and welcome to the mad world of old BSA A10'S. I rebuilt what I had left of my bike 10 yrs ago and was able to get her back on the road where I intend her to stay for many years ,engine stuff and gearbox ( tranmission ) no probs plenty of bits poss tight for barrels and large journal cranks but everyone seems to get by and if you have them they can be refurbed ie barrels resleeved and cranks built up etc check out ,google SRM engineering , highly recommended . This forum will help you make sense of what you're looking to do and normally where to find it and fix it . Best of luck BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom