Author Topic: A 33 year journey....  (Read 1162 times)

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
A 33 year journey....
« on: 27.04. 2013 16:46 »
This all started 33 years ago when I picked up a very clapped out BSA A7 engine from a friend.  A couple of years later I bought a 1953 BSA A7 Star Twin, which was eventually restored and sold on. Meanwhile the old engine lay under my bench in the garage. About 8 years ago looking at the engine and some odd spare cycle parts – oil tank and yokes to be accurate I thought it may be a good idea to get a plunger frame and build a bike up – minimalistic style with a sporty look – no lights, rear sets etc. You know the style. Target was to do this without spending too much money so I set of an a love affair with swaps and Ebay and started to collect various bits and pieces. This quickly became a mini obsession leading to 5 years ago getting the frame, oil tank and yokes powder coated, which was the start of the assembly. Rob Wardle rebuilt the engine for me a couple of years ago, which includes a timing side oil feed upgrade – great job done as the engine was indeed on its last legs at that stage and even another engine I managed to acquire was no use except for parts.

After my experiences with the concourse Star Twin, which I did not enjoy riding due to getting it chipped, dirty etc I decided that this A7 was to be built for riding and so went for non originality - that is what’s been achieved I think. As I amassed parts it became clear that the stripped down concept was not going to work as I had enough parts for lights and a battery however I was still on the trail of non originality, which made the build a whole lot easier. Fortunately a lifetime of not throwing out any nuts and bolts helped when it came to bolting everything together.

The help of Rob building the engine, which was very very knackered and this Forum (take a bow all of you!!!) kept me focussed over he years and on many occassions inspiration. Thank you.

As you can see the bike is non original but thats whats intended. I would like to say it started first kick but it didnt! Due to the clutch slipping slightly on the first 10 kicks it didnt offer but as I gave a last kick the clutch started to grip and it coughed slightly. Given this encouragement I took it over tdc and give another kick and it roared into life. Its now a first kick bike which I'm putting down to the Pazon unit...

So what’s not original?

-          Front wheel (TLS unit from a 1971 Lightning, sourced in the Mid West in the USA)
-          Eddie Dow type fork dampening rods
-          Homemade front mudguard stays and front mudguard
-          Enfield switchgear and controls
-          Indicators front and rear
-          Straight through exhaust courtesy of Tim Wassel (thank you – superb job!)
-          Homemade head steady
-          Homemade rear mudguard stays and mudguard
-          12v electrics
-          Electronic ignition
-          All of the electronics, coils, ignition unit, and regulator are stored away inside the toolbox
-          Akront alloy rims front and rear with s/steel spokes
-          12v gel battery (thank you Geoff for all electrical parts/help)
-          Homemade wiring designed to be as tidy/unobtrusive as possible (I hate wiring and cables showing)
-          Charging point for the Optimate charger
-          Indian petrol tank (thanks Tradesparesauto – another first class tank)

What didn’t go well?

-          Original petrol tank leaked through several small pin holes prior to it getting ready to start for the first time. Discretion overtook valour and I ordered a new tank from Tradesparesauto on Ebay as I didn’t want to see the bike go up in flames if it leaked in use.
-          Wear between the QD splines on the back wheel caused some head scratching before I realised that I needed to replace the splines on the drum
-          Rear plunger carriers for the wheel were twisted which I didn’t spot so when the units were assembled in the frame. This made the wheels were out of line and the rear wheel lie at a slight angle. Again some more head scratching until I figured out the problem and replace them with good and true versions

What was pleasing?

-          The support from this forum. Take a bow all of you for direct help, indirect inspiration. As you may gather it would be easy to walk away from building a bike from scratch like this but reading the various posts over the years virtually every day has played a big part in keeping me at it. Advice freely given by some of the members was a God send. You know who you are…thank you.
-          Finishing the damn thing
-          And hopefully many miles of riding it!!!!   *smile*

The straight throughs are TOO loud so need to figure a way to damp the noise down a bit and I'll need to register it for the road.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A 33 year journey....
« Reply #1 on: 27.04. 2013 20:25 »

Nice one 900, similar thinking to how mine came together, though apart from a small few bits, kept mine all BSA,with complete Lightning front.
 With the conical brake, I was told to adjust it by doing the adjusters in till they stop, and back off 2 clicks, but found that a bit soggy, so have done one click and it seems better.
  Also had straight throughs on mine on first assembly early eighties, and yup was a bit too loud, but even the trumpets on now with full length 'Conti style' fluted baffle tube is apparently loud enough to wake my friends baby 3 fences(80 mtrs) away- bugga
 good luck with it and enjoy, mine is so much fun, seems no time to come here

cheers, duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 27.04. 2013 21:54 »
Great work mate. She's a real BSA (bits stuck anywhere) ;). As long as she makes you smile, that's all that matters. I like her.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #3 on: 28.04. 2013 00:07 »
 I'd be happy to have her in my garage...  well done..   wink2
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Zen Up 67

• Active
  • You'll never make it to Darlo on that!
« Reply #4 on: 28.04. 2013 00:13 »
Sweet, its a pretty bike
1961 A7 Shooting Star 500cc
1969 A65 Thunderbolt 650cc
1953 D1 Bantam 125cc

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 28.04. 2013 00:16 »
Looks good 900. Isnt it good to build a bike how you want it rather than how it "should be".

I also built a plunger A10 using the bits I wanted on it, but mine is more BSA ish as I used bits I had or could buy at a reasonable price.

I went for a siamese exhaust with a muffler with "very little" inside it ! Sounds good without being offensive. I did the usual belt drive on the gen with 12v and a DVR2 regulater. A monobloc, plunger A7 front guard and the entire bike is held together with stainless nuts and bolts, everything including the axles etc. Oil filter and a host of small mods throughout. I recently fitted a couple of boxes to the back to carry a bit of junk.