Author Topic: New member  (Read 710 times)

Lloydde

« on: 22.04. 2013 10:01 »
Hi. Just a quick introduction to myself and my bikes.
After a 40 year gap since my Bantam and C15 days and a few years doing the Harley thing I have gone back to my Brummie roots. I have been lucky enough to have had the choice of a number of Bikes just recently and I couldn't resist taking on an AA Patrol Motorcycle and Side car. Its a 1961 M21 so nothing more to be said on this Forum, unless you can point me towards an M21 Forum? The other Bike which I have acquired is a 1961 A10. I would appreciate your views on its Model Type, which is not shown on its Registration Documents. It was sold to me as a Road Rocket but on further Google research I realised that it had features of the Spitfire; short solo seat and the high mounted exhaust pipes running down the left hand side. The Folder which contained the Bikes paperwork, also had BSA Spitfire written on the front. I checked the Engine and Chassis numbers with the Identification sheets I found online, which placed it as a 1961 Golden Flash. Any comments generally on what model this is would be much appreciated, so that any changes I make can be faithful to the original. Also, if you wouldn't mind, I am curious about the pipe attachment on top of the tank. I initially thought it was just an interesting 1960's BSA idiosyncrasy but I have now looked at many many photos of A10s online, including Service Sheets and Sales brochures etc but have seen nothing like this on any other bike.
Thank you for taking an interest.
Cheers Dave

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 22.04. 2013 10:54 »
G'day Lloydde, welcome to the forum.
She looks close enough to a spitfire to me. Don't think the bacon slicers would be needed in the dirt, but I've always liked the look of them.
It looks like a Goldie tank, very nice.
It can't be a real BSA, there's no oil drops on the floor. Just kidding.
Bet you can't wait to get it dirty.
Cheers
http://britishbikebits.com/chrome-painted-petrol-tank-bsa-goldstar-clubman#.UXUpUEr54oF
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.04. 2013 12:00 »
Some lovely period parts there, I would have made my GF look like that back in the 70's, a lovely looking bike!

I doubt the pipe on the tank serves much purpose, the std cap does an ok job of letting air in without letting petrol out! Maybe a off road trials requirement?
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.04. 2013 22:24 »
Hi Lloydde,
                       That's a Goldie tank. The breather is usually a curved copper tube with a banjo fitting.
There are no pillion footrest loops on the frame so either they have been cut off or you have a Spitfire frame.
Frame number should tell.

Trev.