Author Topic: A10 look alike  (Read 1308 times)

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
A10 look alike
« on: 02.04. 2013 01:33 »
I was going through some OLD photos & came across these 40+ year old pics of my old Kwaka W2...    A10 look alike
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: A10 look alike
« Reply #1 on: 02.04. 2013 07:28 »
Nice.
I got some photos of a very clean one at one of our bike meets a few years ago. I took a lot of detail pics if people are interested. Here it is next to mine.
It was quite funny, I'd never seen one of these and the owner had never seen an A10.

Cheers.

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #2 on: 02.04. 2013 08:45 »
It was quite funny, I'd never seen one of these and the owner had never seen an A10.
Thanks Tombeau, The engineer who is doing my reboring showed me a frame and engine and said 'what did I think of that' and I had an 'am i dickhead' moment because it looked a bit like an A10 but wasnt right. I even  *red* asked him what it was!
it was one of these. Clever these Japanese. (The Germans said when seeing a bantam 'Clever these British' in the same tone I imagine!!)
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 02.04. 2013 09:19 »
They copied the brake pedal/crossover shaft/brake cable. Guess they thought it was a good idea.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 02.04. 2013 12:27 »
Actually after a bit of research I found out mine was a W1SA as pictured..
With the exception of the brake on the Left & gear change on the Right...
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 02.04. 2013 13:53 »
That gear linkage looks an awful compromise.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.04. 2013 14:26 »
had a ride on one last summer, belongs to my wife's cousin ( he has two plus lots of other stuff), good ride actually, my first venture for many years on a cack handed bike if I'm honest but I got on OK, sorry to say much smoother than my A's but there again much younger too
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #7 on: 02.04. 2013 14:58 »
my first venture for many years on a cack handed bike if I'm honest but I got on OK

I have never been able to adapt to left handed gear shifts. For a short while I had a Honda CB 350 that I bought for use as a go to work on bike. I was able to manage if I had plenty of thinking time, but for me it was never intuative. If I had to brake hurriedly I always found myself stamping on the gear pedal. I soon got rid of the Honda and went back to using the car.

John

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.04. 2013 16:20 »
my first venture for many years on a cack handed bike if I'm honest but I got on OK

I have never been able to adapt to left handed gear shifts. For a short while I had a Honda CB 350 that I bought for use as a go to work on bike. I was able to manage if I had plenty of thinking time, but for me it was never intuative. If I had to brake hurriedly I always found myself stamping on the gear pedal. I soon got rid of the Honda and went back to using the car.

John

I once worked at a Honda/Puch/bicycle repair shop. We had to be able to jump on our own brit bikes after riding foreigners all day. We just got used to it.

Neil Ives UK
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 03.04. 2013 08:58 »

I got to know a couple who lived next to people i knew in the '70's, they had Nortons, but their mate had one of these, he left town, and the bike and the couple found another, and we used to go for Sunday jaunts.
   One thing we used to do was head out past the airport and do second gear 'roll-ons', me old Road Rocket (RRT2), left em dead every time......!!!! Geez it sounded good at 70+mph in second.!!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.04. 2013 13:19 »
I was interested to find that the Kawa H1 KH500 I'm working on at the moment has the facility to swap the two sides around. I was tempted to set it up as a right hooker (to be bloody minded really - I'm used to both sides and both patterns), but you do need specifically 'sexed' pedals for the swap over. 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #11 on: 03.04. 2013 13:41 »
I have both japanese and Brits, after a while you get used to it and changes are purely intuitive. If you start thinking about it while riding, you will get mixed up.   *eek*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 03.04. 2013 15:34 »
I never had a problem with left or right gearchange but in the late '70s I had a Triumph 250 Blazer and a Francis Barnett Villiers thing. The FB was only 3 speed and the lever worked the opposite way to the Triumph, which was my "daily driver". The poor Villiers engine would scream it's head off when I went from 2nd to 1st instead of 3rd!