Author Topic: New'ish Member  (Read 490 times)

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
New'ish Member
« on: 18.11. 2012 22:49 »
Hello all! At last I have managed to post a picture! Many will probably wish I hadn't, I suppose! Well the bike as it is, has certainly got some history behind it. When this was built you still had about 5 years to change your mind and go to Small Heath and buy all new replacement parts from B.S.A.
Yes, it was 'chopped' in 1967/8, 44 years ago in Manchester, England from an 8 year old bike. The guy that built it did it for a living and this one along with an A65 he built won first and second prizes at custom car and bike shows that year. The next two owners both died and it spent a lot of years under a plastic sheet outdoors. A friend and I unearthed it by accident in 1979 and I rebuilt it from there. It was very much a show bike at first, but by strengthening the frame here and there and some frame braces I turned it into a rideable machine. Everything works as it should and the riding position is fine for about 70 mile stints by which time he needs fuel and I need a smoke! Not bad for a rigid.
Over the years it has often been my only means of transport, and is at the moment untill I get the van MOT'd. The engine was fully rebuilt from top to bottom by S.R.M. in the mid 80's and the bottom end has not been apart since. Within 18 months of getting it back from them it had done 14.000 miles. It was used every day for work and trips to the west coast of Ireland, Kent, up the North East and countless trips to Anglesey. Granted, it may not of set many land speed records in that time, but credit to B.S.A. for the basic design, and the lads at S.R.M for their engineering skill. Indeed that period was actually boring because there was nothing to do but polish, change the oil and a set of tyres. It runs like a dream almost always........... Anyway, let the abuse commence!  *computer* *rant*

England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: New'ish Member
« Reply #1 on: 19.11. 2012 06:41 »
No abuse coming from here. Like to see a bike with a bit of history, thats a bit different and gets some regular use.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline JulianM

• A's Good Friend
  • www.historiccompetitionservices.be
    • Historic Competition Services
« Reply #2 on: 19.11. 2012 07:21 »
In the mid-seventies my book case and window sills were covered with models that looked just like your bike!  Mostly Harley based but I did graft BSA, Norton and even a Suzuki RM400 crosser engines into some of them!   Cool to see this being preserved!   Not my style any more but hey!  Who are we to judge?   Looks like you treat it well.  Good to see you here.
Julian
52 Ducati Cucciolo Race bike 50cc
64 Triumph TR6 SS
67 Triumph 100C
67 ILO Race Bike  50cc
71 Sachs Race Bike  50cc
71 Laverda 750SF,
71 Laverda/Egli 750SF, Race bike,
71 Norton Commando 750 Roadster,
71 Norton Commando 750 SS
75 Laverda 3C,
75 Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk0,
76 Beta Cross TR6  50cc
80 Ducati 900 MHR,
81 Yamaha RD350LC

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 19.11. 2012 08:43 »
 Well done mate  *yeah*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7