Author Topic: Oil Pump  (Read 1962 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Oil Pump
« Reply #15 on: 24.10. 2012 09:46 »
 Its a long story Gav. First off face the end plate and outrigger on a piece of glass and wet & dry (120 to 600 grit) to remove marks. Give the body a very light rub to see if OK. If not continue with light rub till good (care not to take too much as gears may need same amount taken off). Then I do one gear at a time, 1st the driven gear is inserted and outrigger fitted with the screws (leave off the end plate). If it binds I put it in the drill chuck and use a file wrapped with 400 grit w&d and dress the gear ends. Just a tad at a time till it is free to spin. (took about 4 goes to get it right) Then its mate, if it binds dress it as done with the end plates till they both spin. Then it's the other sides turn, first the driven then it's mate. Always do the screws up criss cross a little at a time whilst turning it with your thumb. So it might go together and come apart 20/30 times before I'm happy. Then the mounting face is to be checked in relationship with the outrigger. On the glass put two fingers on the body holes and see if you can get a feeler under the outrigger. Light dressing on the glass till flat. Use the same thickness gasket under the body and outrigger and tighten in steps, not too tight, about 10 lbs, and loctite.
There it only took a little longer than typing this with one finger!!!
Which way does it spin? Hold the body in your right hand flat side towards you, spin with left thumb away from you.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #16 on: 24.10. 2012 12:07 »
Thanks, Musky,
I'll give it a go when ive finished moving house,
Gav
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 24.10. 2012 14:40 »
Hi Musky, that was very interesting as I've got a pump which up to now I kept on a shelf simply to remind me to change the oil often but now seems I've a useful source of spares for mine,just incase, regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom