Author Topic: Jetting question  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
Jetting question
« on: 16.08. 2008 16:36 »
Hey chaps, been out for my first shakedown run today, and she rides vey well for a chop and sounds wonderful, there is a point were I she is holding backas the revs climb, she revs freely enough but under load she needs a bit more fuel, so has anyone any ideas of jets I need?bear in mind I am running a mikuni,
many thanks
Baggy

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Jetting question
« Reply #1 on: 16.08. 2008 17:53 »
I would start by lifting the needle one notch and see if it improves things. Always remember with this sort of work to only do one thing at a time, That way you know for sure if what you have done has made a difference.

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 16.08. 2008 20:53 »
cool thanks. I am a bit of an alien to these things at the moment,but I will find my feet,
cheers
Baggy

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 21.08. 2008 21:19 »
hey chaps,
took it for the MOT today, and passed with flying colours  *smile*, still ran like a cow on the way there after lifting the needle, so borrowed some tools at the MOT shop and set it back to where it was, a bit better but still rough particularly trying to pull away, and if any high revs needed, coughing spluttering and holding back, so at work, halfway home, took it one step the other way, still awfull (if not worse) trying to get away, but bit better on wide open, but alltogether not happy so tonight I pulled the carb apart to get some needle and jet sizes to see if anyone can stab a guess at telling me what to do, like I've said before its a mikuni carb, starts perfectly and revs crisp and sharp when no load on engine, I am running open pipes here's what I have fitted -

Needle 5F21
main jet 180
primary jet 25

any ideas would be so cool as this weekend we have some sun  *eek* *smile*

many thanks
Baggy

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 21.08. 2008 23:21 »
great about the Mot (and the excellent noise). We forget about such things when we live in places which don't burden us with all that nonsense.
Sorry, but can't say anything useful at all re jetting, except to hope someone else can. Mikunis are a closed book to me. Although they might be better in some ways (not proven so far in your case!), if you ever trip over a suitable Amal Monobloc, grab it! Loads of folk can then dump loads of useful data on you . . . Even a concentric . . . .
Bill

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 22.08. 2008 07:52 »
as you say it is ticking over Ok, and seems fine at low revs, then this is a main jet issue, so I would again lift the needle, and also go up one or two sizes in the main jet, it sounds like you need to get more fuel in at higher revs.   Are you sure the timing is spot on though?

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 22.08. 2008 09:24 »
I timed it up when I fitted the mag and as far as I am aware its spot on, will try upping the main jet size,guess its a case of small noted changes until its sorted, at least it takes a minute or two to take the carb off, so not so bad  *smiley4*
cheers
Baggy

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 22.08. 2008 21:37 »
Now this is important, make adjustments one step at a time, test ride , take note. don't do too much all at once.

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 23.08. 2008 19:43 »
right got me a few jets today, only available in 10 thou jumps locally spoke to the chap at vale onslow where I got them from, first stuck a 200 in, idling a bit rough but once warm ran loads better, 15 miles round the block better, but pulled the plugs when it cooled down and am running to rich, so I've just swapped in a 190, and the skies have opened so no test ride tonight, I think it will between these two and maybe some needle height adjustment,well pleased with the way it rides, just need a day or two of sun to really enjoy it.
many thanks for the help guys
Cheers
Baggy

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 26.08. 2008 09:19 »
Make sure your air slide/choke is raising all the way.

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 26.08. 2008 13:33 »
sorted, 190 spot on  *smile*

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 26.08. 2008 17:36 »
What flavor Mikuni? Style, size?
I run a 38 mm VM and can provide set up info for you.
David
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 04.09. 2008 22:43 »
Hey David, Its a Vm but not sure of the size, it seems to be running fine at the moment, if a little bit harsh on my back despite the sprung seat!!, I am used to much more radical machines so on a bit of a learning curve especially pulling away and finding neutral at the lights,( I've had chops at 1500 cc and above, trikes, with turbo's !very very scarey and a shed load more)  here's some pics not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure but, its my first Brit bike after years of customising cars and bikes and I love my bike to bits, if you could send me the set up that would help me see if I do have it sorted, or even close many thanks
Baggy