Author Topic: Longstroke Newbie  (Read 829 times)

Offline benet

• Active
Longstroke Newbie
« on: 12.07. 2012 11:27 »
Hi Guys, I live in Auckland, NZ and 3 years ago i managed to convince my dad to part with an old dismantled bike he'd had in his shed for 25 years. It's a 1949 longstroke A7 500 and it has taken me up till now to reassemble and get it on the road. It has been a continuous learning process and i wanted to express my gratitude to all the forum contributors without whom i would never have got this machine going. Here truely is a vast body of collective knowledge that reduces the Haynes manual to an occasional reference pamplet.  Once i figure out how to reduce an image to the required 600 kb size i will post an image.
Presently i have taken off the head as there were a number of leaks, both oil and gasket. I am trying to get Lani at Gaskets unlimited to make me a solid copper head gasket and rocker gaskets, so  he should have a template soon for all the longstroke's. Ben
NZ

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Longstroke Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 12.07. 2012 13:01 »
Nice one Benet,
                      Goood you got it happening, if it's the same haynes as I have it wouldn't be a lot of direct use, but still handy- at least in the dunny!!! (for reading?)
 Someone posted a link I think of software how to resize pics- I think?? If not may be just easier to change the resolution settings and take another pic?
 Catch yea next lap, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rookie_V#60

• Rudolph the rednose rendeer
  • A's Good Friend
  • Je oller je doller
« Reply #2 on: 12.07. 2012 14:11 »
Example Imageresizer for free:
http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Have fun with your longstrke
Rudolf
1923 James Model 12 500ccm v-twin
1926 Douglas EW 350ccm flat-twin
1936 Motosacoche 500ccm single
1948 BSA A7 Longstroke 500ccm parallel-twin
1955 Ariel Square Four MKII
1960 C1, 1967 C2, 1979 C3-gone!

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 12.07. 2012 15:29 »
benet, thanks for posting, have been wondering what some of the "1 post then not seen again on the forum" are doing, some may have sold their bike or whatever, & some, like you, have been working hard and getting results!

Info about picture posting is in the Info & Help board. You may also use something like photobucket etc to host your pictures then post (clickable thumbnail) links.

gratitude to all the forum contributors without whom i would never have got this machine going
Ahhh, thanks for the fine words about the forum and the members, always nice to see it's a source of advice and assistance, and a reminder to all that we've got many, many more readers than online members coming here for guidance, so keep the quality, wording & content in (especially) the tech boards on a high level.

Looking forward to some pictures.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2012 02:33 »
Hello Ben, welcome to the forum.

This probably should go in the new PC problems but I'll post it here to start with.

There are a couple of simple ways you can resize images without downloading any programs if you dont want to.

One way is to select the images you wish to resize as if you were going to e-mail them, choose a smaller size when the e-mail program asks you and attatch them to a e-mail as if you were going to send them to someone. Once you have them attatched to the e-mail click on file in the top left corner and then on save attatchments, that will save them in the smaller sizes.

Another way is to right click on the picture and hold your cursor over "open with" and then click on "paint", this will open the picture in the paint program. Then click on "image" up in the top left of your screen and from there go to "re size". You will get a box come up with re size on it and will have a vertical and horizontal box both showing 100%, reduce both of those to about 80% and then close the program, it will ask you if you want to save the changes and click on yes. Depending on the size of the images you start with you may have to do this a couple of times until you get them down to the size you want.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 13.07. 2012 07:15 »
Welcome to the forum, Ben. It is amazing how many longstrokes have turned up out of the woodworm in the last year or two. When I joined the forum I was almost a lone voice with mine.